Jerardi: "No rules needed...."

His column today:

Wow, that is a pretty scathing commentary from someone who has been close enough to the sport at several levels that it makes that much more discouraging to hear.
I love college BB but have felt for a long time that it suffers the most integrity issues of all the sports.
Thankfully, I feel pretty confident that PSU has kept themselfs out of that swamp and if that puts us at a disadvantage on the court, so be it.

The only rule I want to see passed is the one that requires Jerardi to do radio color for our games for the rest of his life.

[quote=“Duff, post:2, topic:279”]Wow, that is a pretty scathing commentary from someone who has been close enough to the sport at several levels that it makes that much more discouraging to hear.
I love college BB but have felt for a long time that it suffers the most integrity issues of all the sports.
Thankfully, I feel pretty confident that PSU has kept themselfs out of that swamp and if that puts us at a disadvantage on the court, so be it.[/quote]

Two Tennessee football players were suspended last week for alleged armed robbery. FSU football players have been found to have a second grade reading level. Does BB really suffer the most integrity?

I just happen to agree with Jeradi and my belief is that the integrity and character issues are more pervasive in the BB culture.

[quote=“Duff, post:2, topic:279”]Wow, that is a pretty scathing commentary from someone who has been close enough to the sport at several levels that it makes that much more discouraging to hear.
Thankfully, I feel pretty confident that PSU has kept themselfs out of that swamp and if that puts us at a disadvantage on the court, so be it.[/quote]

although I’ve heard Dunn couldn’t win the intense recruiting battle for Wit until he handed him a briefcase full of cash

[quote="Duff, post:2, topic:279"]Wow, that is a pretty scathing commentary from someone who has been close enough to the sport at several levels that it makes that much more discouraging to hear. I love college BB but have felt for a long time that it suffers the most integrity issues of all the sports. Thankfully, I feel pretty confident that PSU has kept themselfs out of that swamp and if that puts us at a disadvantage on the court, so be it.[/quote]

Two Tennessee football players were suspended last week for alleged armed robbery. FSU football players have been found to have a second grade reading level. Does BB really suffer the most integrity?

The football armed robbery has nothing to do with the integrity of the sport.

I agree Duff. Knowing what I know from solid sources, this doesn’t surprise me one bit. Good for Jerardi for telling it like it is.

BTW, not looking good for my Charleston trip…unless I latch onto a few day trippers from the ATL on Sunday. I’ll PM you if things change. Have fun.

Great article by Jerardi. But, most everybody has known this for a long time. EVERYBODY says "It’s not my team."
Actually the entire concept is faulted. NCAA basketball IS a professional league. It IS a developmental league for the NBA. The NBA “helps” the NCAA by banning entrance for one year out of HS. So, "great institutions of learning, give ALL EXPENSES PAID full scholorships to 801 SAT scores.
The US needs to act like the rest of the world. It needs levels of professional leagues starting at the age of 18.

and OH YEAH. People can believe Jerardi and say there is dishonestly throught the entire system…BUT…NOT the NCAA selection committee. Give me a break.

[quote=“tundra, post:9, topic:279”]Great article by Jerardi. But, most everybody has known this for a long time. EVERYBODY says "It’s not my team."
Actually the entire concept is faulted. NCAA basketball IS a professional league. It IS a developmental league for the NBA. The NBA “helps” the NCAA by banning entrance for one year out of HS. So, "great institutions of learning, give ALL EXPENSES PAID full scholorships to 801 SAT scores.
The US needs to act like the rest of the world. It needs levels of professional leagues starting at the age of 18.

and OH YEAH. People can believe Jerardi and say there is dishonestly throught the entire system…BUT…NOT the NCAA selection committee. Give me a break.[/quote]

I understand that point for the elite player or even the elite programs to a lesser degree. But there are over 4,000 scholarship players in D-1 ball every year. And there might be 20-40 positions available in the NBA the following year. So your statement is certainly NOT TRUE for almost every player.

The problem is that there is so much money involved in coaching and for the successful programs as a whole that cheating is looked at as a way to quickly climb the ladder. Even if you get caught, you’ve had enough success to stay above the previous rung.

[quote="tundra, post:9, topic:279"]Great article by Jerardi. But, most everybody has known this for a long time. EVERYBODY says "It's not my team." Actually the entire concept is faulted. NCAA basketball IS a professional league. [b]It IS a developmental league for the NBA.[/b] The NBA "helps" the NCAA by banning entrance for one year out of HS. So, "great institutions of learning, give ALL EXPENSES PAID full scholorships to 801 SAT scores. The US needs to act like the rest of the world. It needs levels of professional leagues starting at the age of 18.

and OH YEAH. People can believe Jerardi and say there is dishonestly throught the entire system…BUT…NOT the NCAA selection committee. Give me a break.[/quote]

I understand that point for the elite player or even the elite programs to a lesser degree. But there are over 4,000 scholarship players in D-1 ball every year. And there might be 20-40 positions available in the NBA the following year. So your statement is certainly NOT TRUE for almost every player.

The problem is that there is so much money involved in coaching and for the successful programs as a whole that cheating is looked at as a way to quickly climb the ladder. Even if you get caught, you’ve had enough success to stay above the previous rung.

NCAA is a professional developmental league BECAUSE it pays the players (with scholorships/room/board/tutors/books/etc) because they are good BASKETBALL PLAYERS not because they are good students. Remember US universities are in principle Higher Learning Institutions. Not athletic factories.The NBA is by far the world’s elite basketball professional league. There are only approximately 400 players in this world wide league. 20-40 positions input each year is substantial.
Look at the world’s most popular sport soccer. The English Premier League is probaly the best professional league. It , like the NBA, draws players from all over the world. It also had roughly 400 players. BUT it draws from a very wide range of developmental pro league teams. NCAA, on the other hand, is the primary feeding system for the NBA.
To me…Primary feeding system = developmental league. Of course “not every player” is going to reach this dream of playing in the world’s elite league. BUT all PSU players have a desire to be an NBA player. That is the key.
And oh, by the way, I will be watching by favorite team playing at 4:00 pm today on a "school day " approximately 1000 miles from the higher learning institution.

[quote="tundra, post:9, topic:279"]Great article by Jerardi. But, most everybody has known this for a long time. EVERYBODY says "It's not my team." Actually the entire concept is faulted. NCAA basketball IS a professional league. [b]It IS a developmental league for the NBA.[/b] The NBA "helps" the NCAA by banning entrance for one year out of HS. So, "great institutions of learning, give ALL EXPENSES PAID full scholorships to 801 SAT scores. The US needs to act like the rest of the world. It needs levels of professional leagues starting at the age of 18.

NCAA is a professional developmental league BECAUSE it pays the players (with scholorships/room/board/tutors/books/etc) because they are good BASKETBALL PLAYERS not because they are good students. Remember US universities are in principle Higher Learning Institutions. Not athletic factories.The NBA is by far the world’s elite basketball professional league. There are only approximately 400 players in this world wide league. 20-40 positions input each year is substantial.
Look at the world’s most popular sport soccer. The English Premier League is probaly the best professional league. It , like the NBA, draws players from all over the world. It also had roughly 400 players. BUT it draws from a very wide range of developmental pro league teams. NCAA, on the other hand, is the primary feeding system for the NBA.
To me…Primary feeding system = developmental league. Of course “not every player” is going to reach this dream of playing in the world’s elite league. BUT all PSU players have a desire to be an NBA player. That is the key.

I would think that the fact that NCAA athletes get scholarships is irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not NCAA basketball is a development league for the NBA.

Baseball players get scholarships but the minor leagues are the development league for baseball.
Tennis players get scholarship but very few of them graduate to the pro circuit.
And what about all those scholarship sports where there is no professional league? What do you call them?

NCAA D1 is the MAJOR feeding system to the NBA. “Developmental League” is just a name! Call it whatever “name” you want to call it. Call it the NBA’s “MAJOR feeding system league.” Same thing.

NCAA baseball IS a feeding system for MLB. Minor leagues are feeding systems also. MLB has a draft which includes many NCAA players. Isn’t it funny how MLB would pay NCAA college draftee 1 Million or more signing bonuses if they were not being “developed” playing NCAA baseball.
You may not see them in the top ten BUT many NCAA tennis players become “professional” players. Were they not “developed” playing NCAA tennis.
John McEnroe played NCAA tennis. Bet it helped his “development.”

I’ve said for several years now that I think the only real solution is to create a professional league for kids coming out of college high school, and returning college sports to truly amateur, non-scholarship players.

People would still have that school pride and what not in terms of reason to follow the sport, and while the product on the floor wouldn’t be quite as high-flying and entertaining, it’d still be pretty fun to follow - like a slightly better Ivy League all over the country.

Plus you’d get a new league created for 18-21 year olds who have tons of potential, and can get paid a little bit of money to show off their skills for the NBA for a year or two.

Everybody wins.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:14, topic:279”]I’ve said for several years now that I think the only real solution is to create a professional league for kids coming out of college, and returning college sports to truly amateur, non-scholarship players.

People would still have that school pride and what not in terms of reason to follow the sport, and while the product on the floor wouldn’t be quite as high-flying and entertaining, it’d still be pretty fun to follow - like a slightly better Ivy League all over the country.

Plus you’d get a new league created for 18-21 year olds who have tons of potential, and can get paid a little bit of money to show off their skills for the NBA for a year or two.

Everybody wins.[/quote]
Great post craftsy. Totally agree. But I think you a “misprint” in your first sentence. Don’t you mean " a professional league for kids coming out of HIGH SCHOOL ?

[quote="Craftsy21, post:14, topic:279"]I've said for several years now that I think the only real solution is to create a professional league for kids coming out of college, and returning college sports to truly amateur, non-scholarship players.

Everybody wins.[/quote]
Great post craftsy. Totally agree. But I think you a “misprint” in your first sentence. Don’t you mean " a professional league for kids coming out of HIGH SCHOOL ?

LOL yes… sorry, that must’ve been confusing.

[quote=“tundra, post:13, topic:279”]NCAA D1 is the MAJOR feeding system to the NBA. “Developmental League” is just a name! Call it whatever “name” you want to call it. Call it the NBA’s “MAJOR feeding system league.” Same thing.

NCAA baseball IS a feeding system for MLB. Minor leagues are feeding systems also. MLB has a draft which includes many NCAA players. Isn’t it funny how MLB would pay NCAA college draftee 1 Million or more signing bonuses if they were not being “developed” playing NCAA baseball.
You may not see them in the top ten BUT many NCAA tennis players become “professional” players. Were they not “developed” playing NCAA tennis.
John McEnroe played NCAA tennis. Bet it helped his “development.” [/quote]

I’m not arguing that D1 basketball doesn’t develop players for the NBA, it certainly does. But turning college players into professional players isn’t the be all and end all of D1 basketball, like it is for a developmental league.

The NBDL is a developmental league for the NBA. Minor League Baseball is a developmental league for MLB (NCAA baseball happens to feed the minors but so does high school baseball and no one in their right mind would say that HS baseball is first and foremost a developmental league for MLB).

Just because John McEnroe played college tennis at Stanford doesn’t mean that all of a sudden NCAA tennis is developmental league for the pro circuit. Out of the top 100 players in the world, maybe five played college tennis. Clearly, NCAA D1 tennis isn’t a developmental league for the ATP.

[quote="tundra, post:13, topic:279"]NCAA D1 is the MAJOR feeding system to the NBA. "Developmental League" is just a name! Call it whatever "name" you want to call it. Call it the NBA's "MAJOR feeding system league." Same thing.

John McEnroe played NCAA tennis. Bet it helped his “development.”[/quote]

I’m not arguing that D1 basketball doesn’t develop players for the NBA, it certainly does. But turning college players into professional players isn’t the be all and end all of D1 basketball, like it is for a developmental league.

The NBDL is a developmental league for the NBA. Minor League Baseball is a developmental league for MLB (NCAA baseball happens to feed the minors but so does high school baseball and no one in their right mind would say that HS baseball is first and foremost a developmental league for MLB).

Just because John McEnroe played college tennis at Stanford doesn’t mean that all of a sudden NCAA tennis is developmental league for the pro circuit. Out of the top 100 players in the world, maybe five played college tennis. Clearly, NCAA D1 tennis isn’t a developmental league for the ATP.

Please stop playing word games. I said it was a “developmental league.” I never said “first and foremost a developmental league” or "be all and end all of D1 basketball."
Gosh, I wish this new board had a “mute” button.
OK, MOST ALL disagreements result from people not clearly DEFINEING THE TERMS. Thus people are talking about proverbial “apples and oranges.” Can’t you see that this is the case in this situation. We clearly disagree on the meaning of the words “developmental league.” Nuff said, last post on the subject.

[quote="tundra, post:13, topic:279"]NCAA D1 is the MAJOR feeding system to the NBA. "Developmental League" is just a name! Call it whatever "name" you want to call it. Call it the NBA's "MAJOR feeding system league." Same thing.

John McEnroe played NCAA tennis. Bet it helped his “development.”[/quote]

Please stop playing word games. I said it was a “developmental league.” I never said “first and foremost a developmental league” or "be all and end all of D1 basketball."
Gosh, I wish this new board had a “mute” button.
OK, MOST ALL disagreements result from people not clearly DEFINEING THE TERMS. Thus people are talking about proverbial “apples and oranges.” Can’t you see that this is the case in this situation. We clearly disagree on the meaning of the words “developmental league.” Nuff said, last post on the subject.

Didn’t we used to have an Ignore button?