PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Jeff Brooks

[quote="Craftsy21, post:11, topic:1512"]I do think Brooks playing better is going to rub off on Jones at least a little bit though.[/quote]

In the off-season, many comments have been made as to what this team was lacking.

Forget rebounds, blocks, and inside shots, what this team needs is a LEADER. This was the biggest thing that Mel brought to the table, and the bigest absence last year.

If Brooks shows signs of dominating physically in the games, his voice will be heard off the court. If the team has someone to rally around, it will make them much more effective.

Sorry, but I don’t agree at all. Talor is one of best leaders in all of college basketball. The only win in school history at Lansing, “the shot”, the win vs. Illinois, all were due in large part to Talor carrying the team. Nobody delivered in the clutch in big game situations like Talor, not even Jamelle, though of course, he was key and MVP in many wins. Problem last year was guys didn’t fill the void left by Jamelle. Not leadership, but rebounds, pts., defense. Jamelle was great, and his setting up down low for that skip pass from Talor occurred on probably 50% of possessions. Jamelle knew how to play and could play. He was a go to guy. That’s what was missing.

[quote=“Speed, post:15, topic:1512”]The radio crew named Jeff the POTG and he was the post-game interview.
He was certainly talking like a motivated senior in the midst of his final go-around as a collegian.

Lots of cliches, but his tone and demeanor was convincing.

Paraphrasing from memory…
-He stayed at school over the summer and worked on his game, strength and academics
-Last year was not to be repeated particularly in his senior year
-What the coaches have been telling him is sinking in… Slowing down and letting his athletic ability take over
-On his second straight near-double-double “You’re going to see more of the same”

Only three games in but Jeff’s talking the talk.[/quote]

Speed - very good summary. I was at the game and got to my car in time to listen to Steve and Dick do the post game. Jeff played a very good game and gave a very polished interview.

I didn’t see ESPN. Did either of his dunks make the highlight film?

Regarding Talor, I think it was reported last week that he has some sort of pelvis problem. He sure seems to slow down at times. But then his competitive juices take over and he takes over the game. His shots don’t look - foul shots are flat.

Tarran looks like a gamer - just like his brother. Tim looks really, really quick - if he can learn to pull up and take the 10 foot jumper (like Jeff did last night) . . .

Very surprised with Oliver. I thought he was a stick figure when he showed up three years ago. He must have really hit the weights. Sure wish Sasa hand’t gotten hurt.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:11, topic:1512"]I do think Brooks playing better is going to rub off on Jones at least a little bit though.[/quote]

In the off-season, many comments have been made as to what this team was lacking.

Forget rebounds, blocks, and inside shots, what this team needs is a LEADER. This was the biggest thing that Mel brought to the table, and the bigest absence last year.

If Brooks shows signs of dominating physically in the games, his voice will be heard off the court. If the team has someone to rally around, it will make them much more effective.

Sorry, but I don’t agree at all. Talor is one of best leaders in all of college basketball. The only win in school history at Lansing, “the shot”, the win vs. Illinois, all were due in large part to Talor carrying the team. Nobody delivered in the clutch in big game situations like Talor, not even Jamelle, though of course, he was key and MVP in many wins. Problem last year was guys didn’t fill the void left by Jamelle. Not leadership, but rebounds, pts., defense. Jamelle was great, and his setting up down low for that skip pass from Talor occurred on probably 50% of possessions. Jamelle knew how to play and could play. He was a go to guy. That’s what was missing.

Seriously? What I remember last year was a team with the talent to win – you don’t get up big in games without talent. They just didn’t have whatever it took to finish games. They blew huge leads to Michigan and Wisconsin. That tells me they lacked leadership – someone to hold things together or get a big bucket or anything to keep the wheels from falling off. They didn’t have that last year. Hopefully they do this year.

Seriously? What I remember last year was a team with the talent to win – you don’t get up big in games without talent. They just didn’t have whatever it took to finish games. They blew huge leads to Michigan and Wisconsin. That tells me they lacked leadership – someone to hold things together or get a big bucket or anything to keep the wheels from falling off. They didn’t have that last year. Hopefully they do this year.

Really, so what happened when it was Claxton and Cornley together? Where was the leadership then? When Geary was a jr. and Jamelle was a soph, how did they do? When Talor was a soph, they won the NIT. I can see this comment from some guys, but surprised it’s from you. Hopefully everybody shows up this year. So far, it’s somewhat encouraging. A 5’11" pg isn’t leading in rebounds, at least not yet. It seems there’s more maturity in some guys. About time. Let’s hope it lasts in tougher contests. If it doesn’t, blame the player(s), not the captain. I wouldn’t worry about him. He’ll show up. Always has.

Gotta love the way Jeff’s been playing so far, strong on both sides of the floor. When he’s into the flow of the game and playing well, he looks downright dominant at times and this team takes on a different look to it. I feel Ed needs to definitely get him more and more touches on offense. He’s gonna be a mismatch for 90% of the guys that are gonna be guarding him, I feel if we use him correctly and he plays with intensity that he could be a HUGE difference for this team. Keep it up Jeff.

Of coarse you don’t agree. I think everyone on this forum saw that coming.

Danny Morrisey doesn’t agree with you…

Penn State Nittany Lions season preview

“I’m done talking about last year to the guys,” DeChellis said. “They know we didn’t do what we needed to do and so it’s time to move on. It’s a new year. We can’t keep reverting back to last year or the year before.”

Leadership time

Danny Morrissey wasn’t in the locker room last season.

He doesn’t know what was said — or what was left unsaid.

But what Morrissey does know is that the 2009-10 squad performed well below their preseason expectations. And he thinks he has a hunch on why.

“Last year’s team didn’t have senior leadership necessarily, that you typically have,” Morrissey said in a telephone interview Wednesday. “And I wasn’t there, so it’s really hard to say. But there was a certain factor they just didn’t have. That ‘X’ factor. It goes beyond talent.”

I’ve also heard DeChellis talk about this very same topic, about the lack of leadership on last year’s squad.

Skeeza,

I can be coarse, but you mean course. Granted, the team didn’t have Jamelle, Stan, Danny, 3 seniors which of course helps. But to say Talor’s not a leader, and wasn’t two years ago, is nuts. He was voted MVP and co-captain. In the NIT run, didn’t Jamelle miss 1 1/2 games? Didn’t he miss the GMU game? To have more guys who are mature, confident, experienced, certainly helps, but here’s how mjg puts it…That tells me they lacked leadership – someone to hold things together or get a big bucket or anything to keep the wheels from falling off. . And you stated, Forget rebounds, blocks, and inside shots, what this team needs is a LEADER.

IMO, that’s placing blame on one guy. Danny is referring to the makeup of the team, IMO, one which often had 3 seniors starting. You guys are suggesting a replacement, a new leader. Now, I did state that this year’s team would rely on newbies, rather than seniors, and I may be dead wrong on that. Brooks looks great, and I certainly didn’t see that, though I’ve been harping about him playing the 4/5 for 3 seasons, and never, ever saw him as a perimeter player. Some agreed, some didn’t. I think the verdict’s in on that. I still think guys like Oliver and Buie will win big minutes. I see Buie starting, maybe Oliver too, but less certain(I didn’t see Brooks doing what he’s doing). Now, everyone on the forum might see that coming from me also, so let’s wait and see.

Kid - I think what you’re missing here is the difference between carrying the team on your back, and leading them. Talor is obviously talented enough that he can put them on his back and win games down the stretch. However, what they also need is someone that’s going to get the best out of every other guy on the court. Cornley just had that ability (and the stare) to demand the best from everyone. Talor doesn’t have that same personality (not necessarily a bad thing), but hopefully this combination of seniors can all get pull the best out of each other, and the best out of everyone else on the squad. Obviously the coach is on the hook for motivating, but often times players also need to drive each other, and here’s hoping that we have the right mix now to get it done.

i really dont want to start up the whole perimeter player thing again, but Jeff was displaying a lot of his perimeter skills against st joes. he was moving in and out, posted a few times, dribble penetrated a few times, slashed and took a few jumpers.

Fantastic point, Frats.

As a youth coach, you learn very early on what that difference is. The best player isn’t always the best leader. Usually it comes from a veteran ballplayer who has the intangibles and the respect from his teammates to lead them. And you need leaders on the court. A lot of times, these players are tired of listening to what the coach has to spew their way, but they will listen to their teammates/friends.

I would think that a guy like DJ would fit that mold as the season progresses. But it doesn’t hurt to have four seniors who can easily garner the respect from the entire team.

Brooks looks great, and I certainly didn't see that, though I've been harping about him playing the 4/5 for 3 seasons, and never, ever saw him as a perimeter player. Some agreed, some didn't. I think the verdict's in on that.

i really dont want to start up the whole perimeter player thing again, but Jeff was displaying a lot of his perimeter skills against st joes. he was moving in and out, posted a few times, dribble penetrated a few times, slashed and took a few jumpers.

I think he should have done more of it. There were a couple of times he had Aiken isolated on him out on the perimeter. I think Jeff could have taken him at will but Jeff passed the ball off.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:27, topic:1512"]Brooks looks great, and I certainly didn't see that, though I've been harping about him playing the 4/5 for 3 seasons, and never, ever saw him as a perimeter player. Some agreed, some didn't. I think the verdict's in on that.[/quote]

I think he should have done more of it. There were a couple of times he had Aiken isolated on him out on the perimeter. I think Jeff could have taken him at will but Jeff passed the ball off.

No doubt LP, he’s played great. I just wonder vs a team with a good big man, like Tisdale, Sullinger, JaJuan Johnson, if he can finish as they’ll recover to stop him. I’ve always felt if you can handle, it’s easy to beat your cover, but then when you get to the hole, if there’s a good big waiting, it makes it tough. Vs. these last two teams, Jeff would beat his cover, which was good, and he often finished strong, which is also good, but these are not top teams in terms of big men, though Aiken was pretty good. Will he be able to do this vs. those Big 10 guys? We’ll see. It’s going to be tougher to beat his cover in Big 10 play, then those guys are waiting. This is why I think posting up is often a better option. Less to do, and only one guy to beat. Now, guys like Kobe and Jordan beat their man off the dribble then dunk over the waiting big guy. Not sure we’ll see that. Test in OOC will be vs. VTech with Allen. If Jeff or any big can be successful inside, their perimeter D will have to collapse a bit, esp if Allen gets some fouls. IMO, Jeff or others shouldn’t shy away from the inside confrontation in this game. Go at him and you beat VTech. Avoid him and they extend their D, and last year due to their tall guards, they had one of tallest teams in nation, despite our front line being taller than everyone on their team. Allen is 6’7".

Jeff looked good tonight again. I think the new Jeff is for real.

I think so too, he is a lot more confident. Maybe him being a senior has him know mentally this is it and that he can play much better than many of the players that are on the court. I keep hoping that he will pull down 10 or more boards, he’s had 9 for three straight games.

He made a few good hustle plays last night. That kind of stuff pay off big time. I’ve always been a huge Brooks fan I hope he can keep it up.

Clearly Jeff is playing well. But weren’t we saying the same thing last year early in the season? I need to see it against some better competition before I am fully convinced.

Yeah, but he’s set his career high in points the last two games. And tied his career high in rebounds all three games. Hopefully it’s different this year.

I’m definitely taking a wait-and-see stance with Jeff. If he can carry this improvement/progression through the OOC and into the beginning of the B10 season, then I will be a believer. I’m hopeful, but he has shown flashes before.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:36, topic:1512"]Clearly Jeff is playing well. But weren't we saying the same thing last year early in the season? I need to see it against some better competition before I am fully convinced.[/quote]

Yeah, but he’s set his career high in points the last two games. And tied his career high in rebounds all three games. Hopefully it’s different this year.

Make that a career high in 3 straight games. He only had 3 boards though, if the announcers had that right.

Is there any chance in anyone’s mind that if he averages say 15 ppg this season he might have a shot at the nba?