PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

JC ball players

I find it hard to believe that Ed can’t land one or 2 JC ball players quicker and more athletic than OTT - that should make our team better next - and that is the way I see it from Scranton

If PSU was just replacing Ott I’d be more confident, but there are a lot of spots he’s got to fill quickly. Big men should definitely be a focus. I think the biggest focus should be on having soft hands.

[quote=“psuphiman80, post:2, topic:1025”]If PSU was just replacing Ott I’d be more confident, but there are a lot of spots he’s got to fill quickly. Big men should definitely be a focus. I think the biggest focus should be on having soft hands.[/quote]He has to replace Ott, Babb,Edwards. On top of that there are many other glaring holes and upgrades that are needed to be competitive next year. We weren’t 11-20 by accident. Oh wait i forgot that damn Luck Fairy was out to get us , should have better luck next year.

My biggest concern is outside shooting. At this point teams can go into a box and 1 , put the one on Talor, and dare us to beat them from the corners.

It is not a question of there being Juco players that can give PSU more than what Ott or Jones gave PSU this year. The question is why would one of those Juco players come to PSU when they have offers from other programs that have been to a NCAA tourney in the past 7+ years and just didn’t have 2 underclass schollie guys just leave program after going 3-15 in the Big ten.

They are also going to see 3 SR forwards. Not a big deal to a freshman with 4 yrs, but a much bigger deal to a JUCO. Hopefully we get one decent JUCO big, but I’m not sure about more.

[quote="Cletus11, post:5, topic:1025"]It is not a question of there being Juco players that can give PSU more than what Ott or Jones gave PSU this year. The question is why would one of those Juco players come to PSU when they have offers from other programs that have been to a NCAA tourney in the past 7+ years and just didn't have 2 underclass schollie guys just leave program after going 3-15 in the Big ten.[/quote]

They are also going to see 3 SR forwards. Not a big deal to a freshman with 4 yrs, but a much bigger deal to a JUCO. Hopefully we get one decent JUCO big, but I’m not sure about more.

If they are scared of beating out those 3 I hope they don’t come to PSU.

Is DII a waste to get kids? I can’t get this kid out of my head, Cory Quimby. Made second team all NYS last year, along with some serious players shown. He’s at Dominican, but I think he got hurt. His last game he had 14 points, 8 rebounds. Averaged 7.9ppg and over 6 rbs in 22 minutes, but I think missed the last 10 games, so don’t know. Last year in HS, he averaged 26 ppg and 16 rpg. Vs. last year’s state champ, Newburgh, which was in same conference, had two mega games, 25+ points in each game. 6’6", plays center and forward for Dominican. All inside, taken zero treys. He must be slow, and that’s why he wasn’t taken. This is the New York State Sportswriters list, which is normally very accurate as to talent. Earl Monroe was a DII player. :wink:

Second team '09

G – Russell Smith, sr., Archbishop Molloy-CHSAA (prepped this year(grades), going to Louisville next year)

G – Taran Buie, jr., Bishop Maginn-2

F – Cory Quimby, sr., Minisink Valley-9

F – James Stukes, sr., Rice-CHSAA(prepped(grades), going to SUNY Albany next year)

F – Durand Scott, sr., Rice-CHSAA(U Miami, 3rd leading scorer at 10.3ppg)

C– James Padgett, sr., Abraham Lincoln-PSAL (Maryland, averaged 9.5mpg, 3.0 pts., 9th man)

ED needs to replace Edwards, Ott and Babb just to be at the same dead-last-B10 level the Nits were this season. :-\

[quote="psuphiman80, post:2, topic:1025"]If PSU was just replacing Ott I'd be more confident, but there are a lot of spots he's got to fill quickly. Big men should definitely be a focus. I think the biggest focus should be on having soft hands.[/quote]He has to replace Ott, Babb,Edwards. On top of that there are many other glaring holes and upgrades that are needed to be competitive next year. We weren't 11-20 by accident. Oh wait i forgot that damn Luck Ferry was out to get us , should have better luck next year.

Cursed Luck Fairy!

Anyway yeah I get that PSU has a ton of holes. But big men are the biggest problem. C, PF, and an outside threat seem to be the positions of need. Hopefully ED can satisfy some of those needs.

[quote="psuphiman80, post:2, topic:1025"]If PSU was just replacing Ott I'd be more confident, but there are a lot of spots he's got to fill quickly. Big men should definitely be a focus. I think the biggest focus should be on having soft hands.[/quote]He has to replace Ott, Babb,Edwards. On top of that there are many other glaring holes and upgrades that are needed to be competitive next year. We weren't 11-20 by accident. Oh wait i forgot that damn Luck Ferry was out to get us , should have better luck next year.

Cursed Luck Fairy!

Anyway yeah I get that PSU has a ton of holes. But big men are the biggest problem. C, PF, and an outside threat seem to be the positions of need. Hopefully ED can satisfy some of those needs.

I agree. Frazier plays 2-12 more mpg, or 20-30mpg, Buie plays 20-30, Sasa takes Ott’s minutes, hopefully more and Marshall replaces Edwards. Then there’s Billy Oliver, who granted, is a big Q mark, but maybe he takes some of Edwards’ minutes. Team played last year without a PF. Need to change that. These teams still in the tourney have inside options. Not having them killed Nova. As good as Nova played during the year, that weakness was exposed big time. Having a good big man(or a couple decent big men) changes everything. Are they available for next year? Questionable.

Does Dunder Mifflin have a team or any prospects??

Hey! now that’s funny

[quote="coalcracker, post:1, topic:1025"]I find it hard to believe that Ed can't land one or 2 JC ball players quicker and more athletic than OTT - that should make our team better next - and that is the way I see it from Scranton[/quote] Does Dunder Mifflin have a team or any prospects??
Definitely watch the ep titled "[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_%28The_Office%29]Basketball[/url]" from The Office's first season. Absolutely hilarious, one of my favorite all time eps. There's a few players we could use: Jim, Roy, and even Kevin (though don't think he'd achedemically qualify). Jim could play a little guard, shoot from the outside and drive in and get phsyical. Roy would definitely be the PF we need, and be a banger. Kevin would replace BigBill since he has the body of a big guy but it was nothing but net at the end of the ep from the outside (since he didn't play). Jurry's still out on Daryl, Lonny (Daryl's main guy) and Oscar (didn't see enough but there's potential there). Ryan was ok but nothing special, same with Phyllis (though she did make a nice shot). Dwight could be the enforcer with that mask he wore, but not a lot of skills. Don't need to mention Michael or Stanley. ;) Pam would make a great cheerleader.

[quote="coalcracker, post:1, topic:1025"]I find it hard to believe that Ed can't land one or 2 JC ball players quicker and more athletic than OTT - that should make our team better next - and that is the way I see it from Scranton[/quote] Does Dunder Mifflin have a team or any prospects??
Definitely watch the ep titled "[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_%28The_Office%29]Basketball[/url]" from The Office's first season. Absolutely hilarious, one of my favorite all time eps. There's a few players we could use: Jim, Roy, and even Kevin (though don't think he'd achedemically qualify). Jim could play a little guard, shoot from the outside and drive in and get phsyical. Roy would definitely be the PF we need, and be a banger. Kevin would replace BigBill since he has the body of a big guy but it was nothing but net at the end of the ep from the outside (since he didn't play). Jurry's still out on Daryl, Lonny (Daryl's main guy) and Oscar (didn't see enough but there's potential there). Ryan was ok but nothing special, same with Phyllis (though she did make a nice shot). Dwight could be the enforcer with that mask he wore, but not a lot of skills. Don't need to mention Michael or Stanley. ;) Pam would make a great cheerleader.

I heard somewhere that the guy who plays Jim plays hoops with George Clooney and his crew.

I heard somewhere that the guy who plays Jim plays hoops with George Clooney and his crew.

John Krasinski’s from Boston, specifically Chestnut Hill, and played ball in high school. He went to Brown where his brother Paul played college hoops. His original plan was to join his brother on the team. However, he didn’t enter Brown until the second semester of his freshman year because he spent six months in Costa Rica teaching English to kids. The hoop’s coach at Brown didn’t want any mid-season additions to his squad so he passed and Krasinski got involved in other activities, namely writing plays.

John Krasinski’s from Boston, specifically Chestnut Hill, and played ball in high school. He went to Brown where his brother Paul played college hoops. His original plan was to join his brother on the team. However, he didn’t enter Brown until the second semester of his freshman year because he spent six months in Costa Rica teaching English to kids. The hoop’s coach at Brown didn’t want any mid-season additions to his squad so he passed and Krasinski got involved in other activities, namely writing plays.

Ok, so he has eligibility-it’s a done deal.

And maybe he can write a script for winning more games. :wink:

Nope. Five year clock ran out. :wink: