PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Jazz trade Deron Williams to the Nets

:stuck_out_tongue:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6150419

Fire/ask coah to resign, check.

Jettison player causing coach to resign, check.

GM begin looking for new job…

Better trade than the Knicks’ trade? I think so.
Do I care about the NBA? Not at all. ;D

Oh my…

Though I agree somewhat with what D-Will says here…

“Maybe arguing was the last straw, so there I am, guilty of that,” Williams said at the time. “But I think anybody who believes I could force coach Sloan to resign is crazy. He’s stronger than that and personally if I said that to him, he’d probably go tell me to go do something.”

I covered the Jazz quite extensively throughout their playoff runs in the 90’s and got to know Coach Sloan quite well. And Deron is right, he’s one strong mo’fo’ and won’t back down to anyone, especially one of his players. But Utah, as a franchise…actually it’s like a big family out there (with lots of wives ;D…I kid) just doesn’t want to deal with the controversy. And one player is certainly not bigger than the team in their eyes. Oh, but what a player they are just giving away. And yes, it is a better trade than the Knicks just made IMO.

picking old wounds, when Meech turned down the big bucks from the Lakers and later ended up with the jazz, all I could think of was the difference in personalities and player management between Phil Jackson & Jerry Sloan.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:4, topic:1983"]I covered the Jazz quite extensively throughout their playoff runs in the 90's and got to know Coach Sloan quite well. And Deron is right, he's one strong mo'fo' and won't back down to anyone, especially one of his players.[/quote]

picking old wounds, when Meech turned down the big bucks from the Lakers and later ended up with the jazz, all I could think of was the difference in personalities and player management between Phil Jackson & Jerry Sloan.

Night and gay…um…sorry…day.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:4, topic:1983”]Oh my…

Though I agree somewhat with what D-Will says here…

“Maybe arguing was the last straw, so there I am, guilty of that,” Williams said at the time. “But I think anybody who believes I could force coach Sloan to resign is crazy. He’s stronger than that and personally if I said that to him, he’d probably go tell me to go do something.”

I covered the Jazz quite extensively throughout their playoff runs in the 90’s and got to know Coach Sloan quite well. And Deron is right, he’s one strong mo’fo’ and won’t back down to anyone, especially one of his players. But Utah, as a franchise…actually it’s like a big family out there (with lots of wives ;D…I kid) just doesn’t want to deal with the controversy. And one player is certainly not bigger than the team in their eyes. Oh, but what a player they are just giving away. And yes, it is a better trade than the Knicks just made IMO.[/quote]

Utah used to be a big family, but the team had been sold.

When you guys say that “it is a better trade”, do you mean for the Nets or Jazz?

Jazz gets a 19 year-old lottery pick, 2 more potential lottery picks, Devon Harris, and $3M. They get rid of a player that a Hall-of-Fame coach didn’t want to deal with.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:7, topic:1983”]Utah used to be a big family, but the team had been sold.
When you guys say that “it is a better trade”, do you mean for the Nets or Jazz?
Jazz gets a 19 year-old lottery pick, 2 more potential lottery picks, Devon Harris, and $3M. They get rid of a player that a Hall-of-Fame coach didn’t want to deal with.[/quote]
The team hasn’t been sold, but the late Larry Miller’s son, Greg, is now running things and his leadership and work ethic has been questioned by Jazz fans and workers in the Miller family’s business enterprise.

Having seen virtually every one of Deron’s games during his Jazz career and a good bit of him at Illinois - one thing Deron is not is a bad teammate or egotistical superstar. He’s an intense competitor who takes losing as bad as anyone in the league (Jazz have lost 12/16 and are just 16-21 since Dec) and he isn’t a very good leader when he becomes moody and surly, and alot of times that emotion causes conflict, particuarly since this is Deron’s first season as the leader. Utah lost Carlos Boozer in the offseason, and Booze was a positive-energy leader - always upbeat and encouraging his teammates no matter the situation - which in alot of ways balanced out Deron’s leadership style.

IMO the Jazz overreacted here because I think there’s a good chance the new CBA will give them a NFL-franchise-type option they could use to keep Deron around - and I think Deron would’ve stuck around if Utah was still the 50-55 win team they were the previous 4 seasons.

I don’t see any distinct winner, here. In the shorterm, NJ wasn’t going anywhere w/their current team and they get a superstar who may be able to attract FA’s in their move to Brooklyn, but there isn’t a strong FA class in 2011 and NJ’s current supporting cast isn’t better than Utah’s. Utah gets 3 unknowns in Favors and the 2 draft picks (along with Harris). If the potential of 2 of those 3 “unknowns” materializes then I like the trade, but definitely taking a step back in the short-term.

I watched much of Sloan resignation press conference. The speeches by the GM and owner were…well bizarre… Then the new coach was introduced…more bizarre.
I would question alot of the leadership just from listened to these guys.

I had to double check to make sure this wasn’t April Fools… Crazy.

Not sure what the Jazz are doing. If the Nets can’t get him to re-sign then this move is stupid for them, too.

Williams can absolutely be a difference maker if the Nets can lure another key FA to go with Lopez (and his lack of rebounding) and their bad supporting cast

I’m one of the few die-hard Nets fans around and I am pumped for this. Of course, I hope he re-ups with the team, but it is a good and necessary risk to take.

I just hope that when the Nets move to Brooklyn they will remain the NJ Nets.

If all the NY teams can play in NJ it is only fair that a NJ team plays in NY.

[quote=“Joz, post:10, topic:1983”]I had to double check to make sure this wasn’t April Fools… Crazy.

Not sure what the Jazz are doing. If the Nets can’t get him to re-sign then this move is stupid for them, too.

Williams can absolutely be a difference maker if the Nets can lure another key FA to go with Lopez (and his lack of rebounding) and their bad supporting cast[/quote]

Deron Williams may be the next Stephon Marbury in New Jersey. He was an intense competitor as well.

Utah Jazz has a history of good decisons. This is an organization that should be amongst the dead-end locations that would make them a bottom tier team, yet they have been able to have somehting like 19 out of 20 winning seasons.

The used to make the right moves. Not so sure now. If Sloan is gone, as well as Larry Miller, who is left over from those days?

[quote=“Still in State College, post:12, topic:1983”]I just hope that when the Nets move to Brooklyn they will remain the NJ Nets.

If all the NY teams can play in NJ it is only fair that a NJ team plays in NY.[/quote]

my vote is for them to become the Brooklyn Burnt Bridges

From what I’ve heard on sports talk radio today he isn’t happy about the trade so I would expect resigning is going to be tough.