PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Jay Williams Top 10 PGs

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=ncbexperts&id=5579418&action=upsell&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog%3fname%3dncbexperts%26id%3d5579418

1. Kalin Lucas, Michigan State 2. Kyrie Irving, Duke 3. Jimmer Fredette, BYU 4. Malcolm Delaney, Virginia Tech 5. Brandon Knight, Kentucky 6. Kemba Walker, Connecticut 7. Kevin Anderson, Richmond 8. Demetri McCamey, Illinois 9. Shelvin Mack, Butler 10. Josh Selby, Kansas

Ouch, no Battle. Hopefully he sees this.

[quote=“noobd, post:1, topic:1350”]http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=ncbexperts&id=5579418&action=upsell&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog%3fname%3dncbexperts%26id%3d5579418

[quote]1. Kalin Lucas, Michigan State
2. Kyrie Irving, Duke
3. Jimmer Fredette, BYU
4. Malcolm Delaney, Virginia Tech
5. Brandon Knight, Kentucky
6. Kemba Walker, Connecticut
7. Kevin Anderson, Richmond
8. Demetri McCamey, Illinois
9. Shelvin Mack, Butler
10. Josh Selby, Kansas[/quote]

Ouch, no Battle. Hopefully he sees this.[/quote]

Kalin Lucas #1? Hopefully kid sees this ;D

Agree with some. Not with all though.

Probably put Battle around 9 on my list. That’s not an insult either, just some pretty good PG’s in the country right now.

expect Jay Williams’ mailbox to implode

With emails from kid.

And shouldn’t it be explode?

nope, implode as in collapse inward from an external force

[url=http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=ncbexperts&id=5579418&action=upsell&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog%3fname%3dncbexperts%26id%3d5579418]http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=ncbexperts&id=5579418&action=upsell&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog%3fname%3dncbexperts%26id%3d5579418[/url]
1. Kalin Lucas, Michigan State 2. Kyrie Irving, Duke 3. Jimmer Fredette, BYU 4. Malcolm Delaney, Virginia Tech 5. Brandon Knight, Kentucky 6. Kemba Walker, Connecticut 7. Kevin Anderson, Richmond 8. Demetri McCamey, Illinois 9. Shelvin Mack, Butler 10. Josh Selby, Kansas

Ouch, no Battle. Hopefully he sees this.

Kalin Lucas #1? Hopefully kid sees this ;D

Yes, a head scratcher. Some thoughts:

Lucas- can someone tell me why he’s better? Because he plays on a better team? Besides, with injury, who knows how he’ll be. I know people will get on me for this, but he kind of gets tight in crunch time. Has Talor not outplayed him 4 straight times? Esp down the stretch? And if his D is so great, how come Izzo keeps switching defenders on Talor all game, looking for a solution to stop Talor? Did Izzo not do this last game? Sort of desperation searching for a solution? He didn’t go to Kalin to solve it. Do you think Izzo puts blue tape outside the arc so Kalin can learn to shoot from there as well?

Fredette- he can certainly shoot, is close to 90% from the line, is very big and strong, but sorry, no pg. I see same issues he had in HS. He gets picked too easily. Put a 6’2"+ quick guy on him and he can’t get his shot off. He may be very good pro, but not at the point. People talk about athleticism and speed being important, but in his case it doesn’t matter? His speed is the same as Danny Morrissey. That’s quick enough? He does have major ups, but he’s just not a point. People say Talor’s D is bad, well, who can Jimmer cover? He’s very slow.

Kemba Walker- saw him play twice in HS. They don’t come any faster, but though his shot has improved, his first year at UConn his shot was one of worst ever. Lots of work to be done. On shooting from the arc, he is still pretty awful, unless you like two handed set shots. A straight pg who can’t shoot, he’ll be fine. Blazing speed. Fastest 6’ kid I ever saw. Made Mt. Vernon look slow, and his other teammates(who are all DI)as well.

I like Delaney very much. Tough as nails, fast, great shot. Didn’t he lead ACC in scoring? McCamey pretty interesting. Good size, tough. Had issues with Weber last year. We’ll see if that’s over.

It’s all about Talor’s size. It’s an issue. This year should be interesting. Taran will take a lot of pressure off him, as Taran also wants the ball in crunch time, and won’t be passing the ball back to Talor with 3 seconds on the shot clock cause he doesn’t have an open look-he’ll create his own look, which most others just can’t do. Like Talor, he steps up when it gets rough. Hopefully, some new guys like Bowman, Oliver, Marshall, Graham step up. I heard nothing about Graham, but good things on the other 3. I see the team being better than last year, just don’t know how much. Those early home games are key to overall record, IMO, and a big difference between 6-12 and 9-9 season. Making the tourney would certainly look good for Talor’s stock.

Jimmer is the same speed as Danny Morrissey? LOL wow.

His TO rate - 15%… Talor Battle’s? 13.7% #234 in the country vs #385, but it’s this huge glaring hole in one guys game and an extreme positive in the others.

How long are you going to keep making the same WRONG arguments based off of 20 minutes of gametime you’ve actually paid attention to? Probably forever, if I had to guess. Makes the real question here, “how long is anybody going to take anything you say seriously?” - and I’m hoping the answer is not much longer. What a joke, you have a story posted just to bring out your foolish POV yet again and you don’t disappoint. Either you’re missing the joke on you or you’re really just trying to stir up crap on this board and have been an MSU fan in disguise the whole time.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:8, topic:1350”]Jimmer is the same speed as Danny Morrissey? LOL wow.

His TO rate - 15%… Talor Battle’s? 13.7% #234 in the country vs #385, but it’s this huge glaring hole in one guys game and an extreme positive in the others.

How long are you going to keep making the same WRONG arguments based off of 20 minutes of gametime you’ve actually paid attention to? Probably forever, if I had to guess. Makes the real question here, “how long is anybody going to take anything you say seriously?” - and I’m hoping the answer is not much longer. What a joke, you have a story posted just to bring out your foolish POV yet again and you don’t disappoint. Either you’re missing the joke on you or you’re really just trying to stir up crap on this board and have been an MSU fan in disguise the whole time.[/quote]

20 minutes of gametime? I saw him play in person twice. Yes, it was high school, but I guess you didn’t get the memo. You don’t get faster in college than you were in HS. Get serious. You get stronger, bigger, not faster. Jimmer is easy to pick, and he cannot cover anybody with any speed. He can shoot lights out, bombs, great at FTA’s, and can score in the paint with those twisting moves, good strength and ups. He’s just not quick enough and won’t be able to cover anybody. He’s no faster than Danny. He’s stronger with better ups, and he has a decent first step, and he’s aggressive. But he’s not fast at all. NBA draft boards are saying Talor’s not quick enough, but Jimmer is? It’s laughable. Again, he can shoot and may make it as a 2, but he’ll be limited by his inability to cover anybody. Who will he be able to cover?

I thought I had you on ignore. Gotta redo that, but I’ll give you an opportunity if I’m so unserious, to take advantage of me. People who thought Curry would be a role player,or not get drafted, like you, are unserious. Taran will be in top 3 in both rebounding and scoring per game on this year’s team, assuming he plays the whole year, no injury, etc. So, if I know nothing, bet, unless of course, you agree. Put up or shut up. If you don’t bet, it’s either, you think I’m right, or you don’t have the guts. So, who’s unserious?

[quote="Craftsy21, post:8, topic:1350"]Jimmer is the same speed as Danny Morrissey? LOL wow.

How long are you going to keep making the same WRONG arguments based off of 20 minutes of gametime you’ve actually paid attention to? Probably forever, if I had to guess. Makes the real question here, “how long is anybody going to take anything you say seriously?” - and I’m hoping the answer is not much longer. What a joke, you have a story posted just to bring out your foolish POV yet again and you don’t disappoint. Either you’re missing the joke on you or you’re really just trying to stir up crap on this board and have been an MSU fan in disguise the whole time.[/quote]

20 minutes of gametime? I saw him play in person twice. Yes, it was high school, but I guess you didn’t get the memo. You don’t get faster in college than you were in HS. Get serious. You get stronger, bigger, not faster. Jimmer is easy to pick, and he cannot cover anybody with any speed. He can shoot lights out, bombs, great at FTA’s, and can score in the paint with those twisting moves, good strength and ups. He’s just not quick enough and won’t be able to cover anybody. He’s no faster than Danny. He’s stronger with better ups, and he has a decent first step, and he’s aggressive. But he’s not fast at all. NBA draft boards are saying Talor’s not quick enough, but Jimmer is? It’s laughable. Again, he can shoot and may make it as a 2, but he’ll be limited by his inability to cover anybody. Who will he be able to cover?

I thought I had you on ignore. Gotta redo that, but I’ll give you an opportunity if I’m so unserious, to take advantage of me. People who thought Curry would be a role player,or not get drafted, like you, are unserious. Taran will be in top 3 in both rebounding and scoring per game on this year’s team, assuming he plays the whole year, no injury, etc. So, if I know nothing, bet, unless of course, you agree. Put up or shut up. If you don’t bet, it’s either, you think I’m right, or you don’t have the guts. So, who’s unserious?

This makes NO sense. None of it. His getting “picked” is nowhere shown in the stats anymore than most of the players in the country, not even significantly more often than Talor. His quickness you question and compare to Danny Morrissey is idiotic, just completely dumb and spoken like somebody who knows nothing about athleticism in general.

Next, you go on and on about this discussion of Jimmer, repeating the same things you’ve been saying about him forever despite tons of evidence to the contrary, and then you tell me to put up or shut up about a bet on Taran. What the hell does that have to do with this discussion? NOTHING.

Then… on the THIRD unrelated note of your last post alone, you bring up Curry lol…

You can’t find a single word I ever said bad about Curry - it never happened. You assume that because one or two people disagreed with your assessment of him that you were the only person who thought he was a great player, despite the fact that nearly everybody had him as a lotto pick. That’s just moronic. I seriously question your mental capacity when you continue saying things like this.

If you are trolling this board, and have been for years now… i congratulate you. Good show sir.

But if you’re serious - I am actually wondering how you haven’t been thrown in a psych-ward at this point. You are absolutely bat-**** insane, the way your mind works. Please just admit this is a joke.

Sorry, Craftsy, you’re on ignore. PM me if you want to wager. Let’s go to Lucas, Jay Williams #1. Here are the last 4 games of MSU vs. PSU, and the numbers for Kalin and Talor.

FG-FGA   3P-3PA  FT-FTA  R    Pts  A   TO's   Steals

Talor Battle 31-59 18-39 15-25 21 95 21 12 0

Kalin Lucas 24-58 4-12 19-23 9 71 18 8 3

Talor shot 65% inside the arc(I caught some errors). He outscored the mighty Kalin by 6 points per game. Talor outscored him and outrebounded him every game.

For those who think maybe that there was a lucky game which skewed the stats, there was. One game Lucas shot 10-15, though was still outscored. Take that game out and he shot less than 33%. And he’s better? Okay, Jay better watch a few more games.

Any ranking is “Subjective”…

My take …is that Lucas and Battle are very close! I haven’t seen the others enough to do a Top 10.
But, “who cares” what an ESPN taking head has to say. If we win games, Battle will get ESPN hype. Either way the pro scouts know about Talor. That is what counts.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:11, topic:1350”]Sorry, Craftsy, you’re on ignore. PM me if you want to wager. Let’s go to Lucas, Jay Williams #1. Here are the last 4 games of MSU vs. PSU, and the numbers for Kalin and Talor.

Talor shot 65% inside the arc(I caught some errors). He outscored the mighty Kalin by 6 points per game. Talor outscored him and outrebounded him every game.

For those who think maybe that there was a lucky game which skewed the stats, there was. One game Lucas shot 10-15, though was still outscored. Take that game out and he shot less than 33%. And he’s better? Okay, Jay better watch a few more games.[/quote]

Kalin Lucas and Talor Battle have played over 100 games apiece in college. Perhaps Jay Williams, as he well should, is basing his opinion on something other than just the four games that they played against each other.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:11, topic:1350”]Sorry, Craftsy, you’re on ignore. PM me if you want to wager. Let’s go to Lucas, Jay Williams #1. Here are the last 4 games of MSU vs. PSU, and the numbers for Kalin and Talor.

For those who think maybe that there was a lucky game which skewed the stats, there was. One game Lucas shot 10-15, though was still outscored. Take that game out and he shot less than 33%. And he’s better? Okay, Jay better watch a few more games.[/quote]

You’re ignoring me… that’s rich. Because I’m the one spewing crazy-talk on this board for the last 4 years… got ya.

The problem is, even if I ignore you I’m going to see your posts quoted everywhere because everyone here thinks of you the same way that I do. So that’s not really an option, I’m hoping that you just kind of disappear once your weird man crush on Battle and his brother takes you to another team’s board somewhere.

Lar has a pretty good point I’m sure you’ll ignore…

But answer me this one… if Lucas isn’t covering Battle, as you always like to point out, why are you making this comparison like it’s supposed to reveal ANYTHING as a comparison? Taking a 4 game sample out of over 100 games of data and making these broad conclusions about anything is just kid being kid yet again - talking out of whatever side of his mouth gets his point across, facts be damned.

Do you really not understand why these other guys get ranked ahead of him time and time again, by every analyst under the sun?

He’s not big enough or athletic enough… where the hell is the upside? What makes anyone believe he’s going to get BETTER from this point in his career onward? There’s no reason to believe he will. In fact, the way he plays and gets knocked around it’s likely it’s going to make him worse when he gets around bigger, stronger, and faster guys at the next level, wherever that winds up being for him.

Show me the players with similar game, height, weight, and athleticism playing in the NBA currently… i’d love to see it.

He’ll have a nice career in Europe, but if he lasts more than a year or two on an NBA roster (assuming he’s drafted), it will be because he drastically improved several facets of his game from junior to senior season… and most guys don’t make that kind of jump in years 3 to 4.

I’m also hearing some things to the contrary about your second favorite young man you like to worship, the little brother of the family. While I’m not ready to make any wagers on him until I actually get to see him play myself, I know some people that know basketball that aren’t exactly high on him as a D-1 player anywhere, let alone PSU. I can’t wait to see your excuses if this one doesn’t pan out the way you say… like the other 20 guys you’ve hyped that never amounted to anything and you conveniently forget to mention anymore.

Please DON’T pm me if you want to wager - I don’t make it a habit of dealing with people as odd as yourself. I still think this whole persona of yours is a sham.

I don’t know what’s more unbelievable…Kalin as #1, or Talor not ranked.

Either way, if I’m starting a team I’ll take Talor as my lead guard any day of the week.

Also, how does Kalin’s game translate to the NBA any better than Talor’s?

I dontnknow who is better but I like our guy…

Kid…Kalin is big shot taker and maker. The dude has led his team often during crunch time.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:15, topic:1350”]I don’t know what’s more unbelievable…Kalin as #1, or Talor not ranked.

Either way, if I’m starting a team I’ll take Talor as my lead guard any day of the week.

Kid…Kalin is big shot taker and maker. The dude has led his team often during crunch time.[/quote]

I don’t think Kalin is a clear-cut NBA player either, but I think his upside far outweights Battles.

Kalin can finish at all three levels at a higher percentage than TB - meaning, from 3, midrange, and at the rim. He’s a better leaper and has a better size/wingspan, albeit somewhat slight.

Lucas also has a ton of big game experience and success that TB, through no fault of his own, hasn’t had to put on his resume. Lucas might be the most experienced player in the country right now, actually, when you consider all he’s been through at MSU so far.

When you look at two guys that are somewhat similar across the board, and then you show the edges all fall for Lucas… why would anybody put Battle over him?

[quote=“LPcreation, post:15, topic:1350”]I don’t know what’s more unbelievable…Kalin as #1, or Talor not ranked.

Kid…Kalin is big shot taker and maker. The dude has led his team often during crunch time.[/quote]

Kalin’s good, but I’m with you. That list makes no sense. PSU needs to make the tourney! Now there’s a goal. I’m cautiously optimistic for this year. Hope 9-9 is doable.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:8, topic:1350"]Jimmer is the same speed as Danny Morrissey? LOL wow.

I thought the discussion between you two was about Jimmer. Why would you / Craftsy wager on Taran? Make up a wager on Jimmer since that is the basis of this argument.

I thought the discussion between you two was about Jimmer. Why would you / Craftsy wager on Taran? Make up a wager on Jimmer since that is the basis of this argument.

Don’t mean to be blunt, but why don’t you make your own wagers? I mentioned 3 pg’s in detail. He picked one. But if you like, I guess we could time Jimmer running up and down the court? I saw Jimmer play in person twice, Kemba Walker twice as a junior(said he was the fastest player I ever saw, and would be a pro one day). I didn’t know he couldn’t shoot, as in HS, NYC teams just ram it down your throat. Nobody can shoot on those teams, like Stephenson, unless you think 21% from the arc is good. Every knowledgeable HS basketball fan in NY knows how NYC teams play. Telfair, Stephenson, Walker, all the same. No need to shoot when you can run and dunk all game, but as a freshman at UConn, Walker was incredibly bad shooter, kind of comical. He’s worked at it big time, but he’s still not great, and he will never get close to Talor’s shooting. Anyone who thinks so is uninformed. Telfair still can’t shoot. Shooters are made by HS. Jimmer is talented and a phenomenal shooter, but slow, and slow handle. I’ve seen him get picked on that crossover in HS and in college, probably 5-6 times, at least once per game on average. It will be more apparent in the pros, unless he gets much better at it, but I see the same issue he had in HS. If HS wasn’t a good indication of future success, how do you explain hype about John Wall or this year’s Sullinger? Or Garnett or Kobe? Ouija boards?

Re Jimmer Fredette, I’ve been accused of not knowing what I’m talking about, but what were my claims? He wasn’t quick enough, , he won’t be able to cover anybody and he gets picked on his crossover. Well, in searching for a video, which I couldn’t find, I did find this.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700019034/NCAA-Tournament-Kansas-States-Jacob-Pullen-a-student-of-basketball.html

key points.

[i]“I just try to figure out what they do,” Pullen said. “I ask the coaching staff who I’ll be primarily matched up with, who’s their best player. I watch their good games, their bad games. I try to figure out what they do. Why’d they have a bad game? Why’d they have a good game? What are they comfortable with and how can I take it away?”

Pullen’s preparation paid off big time last week in the 84-72 victory over BYU that propelled the Wildcats into their first Round of 16 in 22 years. Watching film, he noticed that Jimmer Fredette liked to use a crossover dribble, with his hands down low, in certain situations. He mentioned this to an assistant coach, who watched it himself and noticed Pullen was absolutely right.

So Pullen made plans. And sure enough, after waiting for his chance, Pullen flicked the ball away from Fredette’s hands and the Wildcats were off.

It also helped that Pullen scored a career-high 34 points. But because of Pullen’s defense, Fredette finished with 21 points, only 4 of 13 from the floor. In a first-round victory over Florida, he had 37.

“Fredette tried to crossover and Jake put a hand down there and picked him,” teammate Curtis Kelly. “Jake likes to study players, find out what they like and don’t like, and he uses that to his advantage. He studies guys and he looks at tape. He’s going to take away what you like to do and try to push you into what you don’t like to do.”
[/i]

Jimmer can surely shoot, but he has weaknesses that will be more evident as the comp gets tougher. Pullen picked him based on what he saw as a weakness and also scored a career high. In the Florida game, he got picked walking it up at halfcourt in a tie game with 30 seconds left. Two games in a row he gets picked on his crossover, and it’s not an issue? So, let’s see. I said his crossover is suspect as is his D. So, I don’t know his game from watching him only 20 minutes? Yeah, right. Jimmer has one other tendency I noticed in HS, though haven’t paid attention to in college. When he dribbled right, he always pulled up when he shot. When he dribbled left, he never pulled up, always drove. Without great speed, guys will figure this out and overplay his tendencies. Tendencies are hard to change. Maybe he can learn to drive going right, but shooting going left? Unlikely. A lifetime of doing things a certain way not easy to change.