Jan Jagla at FIBA European Championships

From Dime Mag

Jan Jagla, a Penn State alum who is basically playing the temporary role of Dirk for Germany, had 19 points and 11 rebounds in a win over Russia

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:23”]From Dime Mag

Impressive numbers. Did he graduate? Just curious.

Kind of a “dream come true” for Jan. My guess is he always wanted to “be like Dirk.” Now he is replacing him.

One more thing. The young fans may not know that PSU was the first US college team to recruit Dirk. PSU MAY have had a chance with Dirk until he played in a US HS All-Star team vs World HS All Star Game. I saw the game on TV. Dirk stole the show. He was BY FAR the best player on the floor. Well Dirk went from somewhat unknown to mega star in a flash. Then every US college team wanted him. It looked he would attain college at first. I remember a quote from Dirk that he would definitely visit PSU among his college visits because PSU was the first school to recruit him. WEll…then the pros came a callin and the rest is history.
P.S. I am glad his “girlfriend” is not pregnant! Dirk was “taken by a con artist” but it looks like he will survive without much damage.

[quote="UncleLar, post:1, topic:23"]From [url=http://dimemag.com/2009/09/gasol-parker-shine-again-at-fiba-europe-durant-covers-dime-51/]Dime Mag[/url]

Yes he did. He returned and got his degree.

He’s been Dirk’s backup on the German National team for years so the role is nothing new.

[quote="UncleLar, post:1, topic:23"]From [url=http://dimemag.com/2009/09/gasol-parker-shine-again-at-fiba-europe-durant-covers-dime-51/]Dime Mag[/url]

Yes he did. He returned and got his degree.

That’s awesome. Glad to hear that.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:23”]From Dime Mag

More details on Jagla and Germany’s upset of the Russians.

Sports Illustrated

This from the game that got them into the match against Russia.

Jagla für Drei. Doch! Doch! Doch!

Jan-Hendrik Jagla wirft Deutschland in die Zwischenrunde der EM 2009

From a previous German win over game against Latvia.

Correction: Germany LOST the game but Jagla’s five points down the stretch (he scored 13 for the game with 7 rebounds) made the score close enough that Germany advanced while Latvia was eliminated. More details here

And with an up-to-the-minute update:

F.Y.R. Of Macedonia Topples Germany

Jagla was held to five points and three boards. They still have a chance to advance but will need to beat Croatia on Tuesday.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:10, topic:23”]And with an up-to-the-minute update:

F.Y.R. Of Macedonia Topples Germany

Jagla was held to five points and three boards. They still have a chance to advance but will need to beat Croatia on Tuesday.[/quote]

One more up-to-the-minute update:

Croatia grabbed the final spot in the quarterfinals of Eurobasket 09 by beating Germany 70-68. It’s so up to the minute that I don’t even have a box score yet so I don’t know how Jan did. The loss knocks Germany out and Jagla will now head to Barcelona to start play with DKV Joventut in the Euroleague.