Jamelle Cornley drafted by the D-League

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091106/SPORTS/911060325/1002

To the Fort Wayne Mad Ants!

Hey tjb, I noticed Jamelle and the Mad Ants play @ Maine on 2/24, 2/25, and again on 4/2! :slight_smile:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/fortwayne/schedule/

lol the mad ants… is it just me or are sports team names getting really odd anymore?

I know. Nothing sensible like the Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers.

lol the mad ants... is it just me or are sports team names getting really odd anymore?

The latest eye roller is teh Richmond Flying Squirrels. Don’t know if Bullwinkle’s part of teh ownership or not.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:4, topic:198"]lol the mad ants... is it just me or are sports team names getting really odd anymore?[/quote]

I feel like I saw a movie on HBO called that…it wasn’t about basketball though…

lol…jk

[quote="Craftsy21, post:4, topic:198"]lol the mad ants... is it just me or are sports team names getting really odd anymore?[/quote]

The latest eye roller is teh Richmond Flying Squirrels. Don’t know if Bullwinkle’s part of teh ownership or not.

There’s a reason why the term minor/development is in the league names. :wink:

I bet you really have critiqued birthday cards from your mom.

Fort Wayne’s two minor league names Mad Ants (NBDL) and Tin Caps (Class A, Midwest League baseball) seem just to be crazy choices, but really there is some history to them.

Mad Ants comes from General “Mad” Anthony Wayne who fought battles against Native American tribes in that area as the Indiana territory was secured. Wayne had a fort that served as homebase at that time near three rivers, hence the settlement that eventually turned into Indiana’s second largest city was named Fort Wayne. The NBDL team is obviously a play of of Wayne’s nickname…Mad Anthony.

Meanwhile, the Tin Caps come from Johnny Appleseed, the strange frontiersman who gained some notoriety for introducing apple trees to the Midwest. Legend has it that Appleseed, really named John Chapman, was pretty much a tramp who wore his one cooking pot made of tin on his head as a hat. So, in a contest to rename the former Fort Wayne Wizards as they moved into a new downtown baseball stadium, the team was renamed the Tin Caps to honor Johnny Appleseed, who is appartenly buried in Fort Wayne.

Back to the Mad Ants, they play their home games in the Allen County Memorial Coliseum, built in the 1950s and home of the Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons. Five years ago or so, it was completely remodeled. I haven’t been there since that happened, but my sister-in-law lives about five minutes from it, so I am already searching for good times to head up that way and watch Jamelle play.

Wow, Quaker. That’s some great info. Thanks.

Just saw on Twitter that he’s had some knee problems. Hope it’s nothing serious.