PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Jackson looks to increase scoring

Go to the Collegian article

They definitely need someone to step up and score. I think Babb will avg. double figures. Jones, Brooks and Jackson all need to avg. 7-8 points a game at least. Jackson will also be the team’s best defender so it may be asking a lot for him to double his scoring and guard the other team’s best player. I’ve always refereed to jackson as a “glue guy” too. He has the high basketball IQ and does all the little things well that don’t show up in the scorebook.

I expect Jones to score in double digits this year. I really think that he and Brooks will break through and these two players in particular will be the strength of PSU’s second consecutive good season.

If we can learn anything from the Slippery Rock game, and that’s a big if… I think the starting lineup and the main subs all looked much better than they did last year. Babb’s shot wasn’t falling, but that’s the life of a shooter. But I felt they all looked like they knew what they were doing and belonged on the floor.

I agree, although I think that what we see from Jones will be more consistent… I don’t see him dropping 20 on somebody but he’s going to make a solid contribution every night, whereas I think Brooks is going to have a game or two where we say “wow, he really made the difference tonight”.

[quote="mhenry41, post:3, topic:214"]I expect Jones to score in double digits this year. I really think that he and Brooks will break through and these two players in particular will be the strength of PSU's second consecutive good season.[/quote]

I agree, although I think that what we see from Jones will be more consistent… I don’t see him dropping 20 on somebody but he’s going to make a solid contribution every night, whereas I think Brooks is going to have a game or two where we say “wow, he really made the difference tonight”.

I was thinking this way as well, but I felt like Drew struggled and wasn’t aggreeive enough on the offensive end against The Rock, and I’m concerned as to whether he can be consistent enough to score against Big Ten caliber centers night in and night out. Hopefully this was just first game of the season rust and he can find a groove similar to what he had in the NIT. Against Harangody in the NIT and Jajuan Johnson in our first game versus Purdue last year Jones was stellar.

As for Jackson, I think he can put up numbers like he did at the end of the year. He’ll probably be in double digits half of the time or so, sometimes being our 2nd/3rd leading scorer and other times the 5th/6th. Don’t see a double digit average for the season, but who knows.