Izzo to the Cavs rumors gaining momentum this morning

Heard on M and M this morning on ESPN radio that MSU players are saying that he is gone.

There was some speculation over on the basketball-clueless BWI boards that Ed would be a prime candidate for the MSU job.

I think it is much more likely that Tom would ask Ed if he would be interested in being an assistant with the Cavs. Both John Bach and Dick Harter had long and successful careers as NBA assistants after leaving PSU. Can’t see Ed ever leaving PSU for another NCAA job, but the money (even assistant money) in the NBA might be enticing.

~itters feel Jaime Dixon would get the MSU call.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:1222”]Heard on M and M this morning on ESPN radio that MSU players are saying that he is gone.

There was some speculation over on the basketball-clueless BWI boards that Ed would be a prime candidate for the MSU job.

I think it is much more likely that Tom would ask Ed if he would be interested in being an assistant with the Cavs. Both John Bach and Dick Harter had long and successful careers as NBA assistants after leaving PSU. Can’t see Ed ever leaving PSU for another NCAA job, but the money (even assistant money) in the NBA might be enticing.[/quote]

One guy makes a tongue-in-cheek post and you call it “speculation” on the board? ???

Has to make me wonder who exactly the “clueless” one is? ::slight_smile:

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:1222”]There was some speculation over on the basketball-clueless BWI boards that Ed would be a prime candidate for the MSU job.

I think it is much more likely that Tom would ask Ed if he would be interested in being an assistant with the Cavs. [/quote] I"m not sure they are the ones who are clueless :wink: In all seriousness it was a sarcastic comment made by a single poster. I also hate to break it to you but as much as Tom and Ed like each other there is no way in HELL that Tom would ask Ed to coach on his staff. :-\

[quote author=UncleLar link=topic=1243.msg26963#msg26963 date=1276174813]

One guy makes a [url=http://bwi.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=36&mid=134239644&sid=890&tid=134233942&style=1]tongue-in-cheek post[/url] and you call it "speculation" on the board? ???

Has to make me wonder who exactly the “clueless” one is? ::slight_smile:

Lar, your acerbic and condescending posts make you the front runner for the “Frank from Allentown Award” on this board.

In that Izzo hasn’t denied, pretty interesting. Probably waiting for LeBron to commit. He’d be nuts to go if LeBron bolts. Re MSU job, Pitino probably looking to get out of Louisville, or at least his wife is. He’d probably make the call to apply for the job.

I was reading a MSU board. Allegedly Izzo meet with the team last night. No decision at that time. BUT, a player’s father (after the meeting) was quoted as saying he thought Izzo was leaving.

That means Izzo’s decision is based on LeBron, so what is LeBron’s deadline to sign? What is the early and late signing period in the NBA?

I can’t imagine this situation dragging on through the summer.

per ESPN - Izzo leaning toward Cavs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5271586

[quote=“Skeeza, post:8, topic:1222”]That means Izzo’s decision is based on LeBron, so what is LeBron’s deadline to sign? What is the early and late signing period in the NBA?

I can’t imagine this situation dragging on through the summer.[/quote]

LeBron can sign with Cleveland anytime. Other teams are not allowed to contact LeBron until July 1st. Or at least that’s what I remember hearing some talking head saying on TV.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:6, topic:1222"]In that Izzo hasn't denied, pretty interesting. Probably waiting for LeBron to commit. He'd be nuts to go if LeBron bolts. Re MSU job, Pitino probably looking to get out of Louisville, or at least his wife is. He'd probably make the call to apply for the job.[/quote]

That means Izzo’s decision is based on LeBron, so what is LeBron’s deadline to sign? What is the early and late signing period in the NBA?

The decision date is July 1st. LeBron can opt out of the last year of his Cleveland contract before then and become a free agent on July 1. Up until then, he can resign with Cleveland.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:6, topic:1222"]In that Izzo hasn't denied, pretty interesting. Probably waiting for LeBron to commit. He'd be nuts to go if LeBron bolts. Re MSU job, Pitino probably looking to get out of Louisville, or at least his wife is. He'd probably make the call to apply for the job.[/quote]

The decision date is July 1st. LeBron can opt out of the last year of his Cleveland contract before then and become a free agent on July 1. Up until then, he can resign with Cleveland.

After he becomes a freee agent, is there a deadline to where he HAS TO be signed by a team?

After he becomes a freee agent, is there a deadline to where he HAS TO be signed by a team?

No but the longer he waits the smaller the pool of his potential suitors would be because they would probably be out signing other free agents using up their bucks.

I respectfully disagree with you here, Lar. Only a handful of teams could swing what Bron-Bron wants in terms of dollars anyway, so you’ll likely see free agent signings from teams (particularly for other positions) even as LeBron figures out what he is doing. All other major suitors are going to wait for him. I doubt he’ll be shut out of anywhere he had an interest in going, no longer how long he waits.

Izzo officially staying at MSU

Very glad that he is.

This is great news. He’s easily one of my favorite coaches. He reminds me a lot of Joe.

Glad he stayed. Izzo takes the Cavs job if he thought Lebron was staying. Good sign for the Knicks!

Listening to The Herd. He seems to think the Clippers have a good shot at him.

No (blanking) way is LeBron James signing with the Clippers. I suppose if he were completely uninterested in winning an NBA title, he might consider them.