Izzo down with the King?

Hearing on Mike & Mike that Cavs offered the head coaching job to Tom Izzo citing a Cleveland newspaper.

Found the link they were citing from…
http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2010/06/06/sports/nh2604471.txt

Izzo would be crazy to accept the job.

College coaches usually don’t do well in the NBA, and while the NBA can always pay a coach a lot more than any college, Izzo isn’t exactly a pauper at Michigan State. Given his set up at MSU, I think he’d be stupid to take any NBA offer. Guys like Izzo like to teach basketball and life and to control all operational decision-making, including personnel, and in the NBA the chances to do either are significantly less.

Why join the asylum that the inmates run? I think Izzo and Krzyzewski are college basketball lifers.

It would be different if LeBron was signed but why would Izzo go to Cleveland without a team

These guys never have enough money. how could he pass on this offer? Even if he’s a complete failure, he will walk away with probalby close to $50M, then he can jump right back on a top tier porgram, a la Calipari.

When was the last time a college coach was truly successful jumping to the NBA? I can’t think of any in the past 10+ years.

I disagree… I think there are a few, like K and Izzo, where the college game and the relationships with the kids is as important as the money (kind of like JoePA). I wouldn’t have before this year, but maybe Huggins is in this group too. Guys like coach Cal, Lavin, etc. I think are more inclined to be swayed by the $$'s. Funny, it’s the guys willing to play in the AAU mud are the ones, in my mind, are the ones more susesptible to the big $$ offers from the NBA… Just my gut feel.

Larry Brown? But he got his start in the professional ranks before going to UCLA. So I don’t count him. Otherwise, I’m going back to Dr. Jack Ramsay. He started at St. Joe’s and won a championship with the Trailblazers. I’m sure there have to be others. But I can’t think of any that were “truly successful” (either won a championship, or had a long run of consistent playoff teams).

[quote="JakkL, post:6, topic:1214"]When was the last time a college coach was truly successful jumping to the NBA? I can't think of any in the past 10+ years.[/quote]

Larry Brown? But he got his start in the professional ranks before going to UCLA. So I don’t count him. Otherwise, I’m going back to Dr. Jack Ramsay. He started at St. Joe’s and won a championship with the Trailblazers. I’m sure there have to be others. But I can’t think of any that were “truly successful” (either won a championship, or had a long run of consistent playoff teams).

Chuck Daly was Penn’s coach in the 70’s

Izzo isn’t going to the NBA. Cleveland is desperate to find a way to convince Mr. James to stay. My guess is Lebron heads to the Knicks.

Some would say that Izzo would have to be crazy to go to Cleveland…some would say that James would have to be crazy to go to the Knicks.

I like Izzo and would hate to see him leave the conf…just doesn’t strike me as someone who would want to coach in the NBA. However, neither did Mike Montgomery.

[quote="JakkL, post:6, topic:1214"]When was the last time a college coach was truly successful jumping to the NBA? I can't think of any in the past 10+ years.[/quote]

Chuck Daly was Penn’s coach in the 70’s

True. But he was an assistant in the NBA before getting his first head coaching job. I’m assuming “jumping to the NBA” meant as a head coach. Of course I believe Ramsay was GM for a year between coaching St. Joe’s and the Sixers. So perhaps we still haven’t found a real example yet.

Waitingfornextyear.com, a Cavaliers blog, is reporting that Tom Izzo will in fact leave Michigan State to become the next coach of the Cavs.

That’d be disappointing for the Big Ten to lose him.

That’d be disappointing for the Big Ten to lose him.[/quote]

False alarm:

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20100610/GW0201/6100344/1023/GW

My gut is telling me that he ends up staying at MSU.

I think at this point he was close to going if he could get Lebron to commit… The longer Lebron doesn’t sign, the less likely Izzo is to go… He’s not going to hang out there for more than a week.