PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

IU post-game stories

Some interesting stuff from Chambers.

http://pennstate.scout.com/2/1146785.html

Interesting indeed. As a fan I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the last 72 hours and the progress this team has made. They’ve played like I hoped they would have played about 15 or 16 games into the big ten schedule giving all hope for next year. But they can’t settle for one good home whooping!! I give Pat and the staff credit for getting the guys up and ready for today’s game. I was kinda wondering if they would come out flat after the breakout night Thursday. I’m confident we’ll continue to see progress going forward I love Chambers attitude!!

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2012/01/young_penn_state_mens_basketba.html

Throw my two cents in:

This is the first time since Parkhill was coach when I knew, looking at the product on the floor that we had the inferior team, but I could see by the play that we were headed in truly a different and better direction. For example: team effort, offensive sets: specifically half court offense, improvement - most of the kids have improved offensively and more importantly, defensively since game 1, energy - even in Michigan I thought our energy level was up from the get go despite falling behind early. I’ll also add coaching: PC does more sideline coaching the past 2 games than I’ve ever seen from a Penn State coach - that’s something to get behind! Very exciting! I REALLY believe when he gets his players he will put together a team we can really be proud of.

One final note: it’s nice to know that we’re not going to be an easy out at the BJC!

Good to see people are noticing. Nice article.

I wish I still lived in SC so I could go to more games. :frowning:

I think I’ll buy season tickets next year and split them with my Brother who is still in school

Steve said on the radio today that Nick has earned a scholarship effective at the start of the 2nd semester (which is tomorrow, I think). Good for him. I still like his shot and think he could be the Mike Walker or Danny Morrisey style three point shooter we’ve been lacking for the past few years.

So now, much like with McGloin, we’ll get to hear about how he’s a former walk-on despite that fact that he’s always going to be a walk-on since getting a scholarship doesn’t take away from the fact that originally he walked on to the team?

Opened up the sports section of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and on page 3 is a headline and long AP article on Penn State’s loss to Indiana, with glowing remarks about Pat Chambers team. Comments from Tom Crean included this gem “If you don’t practice hard and practice with toughness, you’re not going to beat Penn State.”

I have loved everything that Pat Chambers has been doing with this team and thoroughly enjoyed the game yesterday despite the loss.

When the Nits were down double-digits not once, not twice, but three times to the #12 team in the nation, and made a run each time, that in itself exemplified their toughness as a team. And when the Hoosiers were draining 3 after 3, including five-for-five on five straight possessions, there was no panic in Penn State’s step, no lowering of their heads. They just came at the Hoosiers harder and harder.

Finally, when Tim Frazier fouled out and most thought all was indeed lost, up stepped Matt Glover to put the Nittany’s on his back and show off his skills as a capable handler, driver and scorer of the basketball to give the Nits a chance that no one thought they would have in the last minute of the game.

I truly feel we are in for some grand times in Penn State basketball. And while the results might not garner the Nits postseason action this season (though I’m beginning to feel otherwise :slight_smile: ), this fan will undoubtedly enjoy the ride every step of the way.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:9, topic:2966”]Opened up the sports section of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and on page 3 is a headline and long AP article on Penn State’s loss to Indiana, with glowing remarks about Pat Chambers team. Comments from Tom Crean included this gem “If you don’t practice hard and practice with toughness, you’re not going to beat Penn State.”

I have loved everything that Pat Chambers has been doing with this team and thoroughly enjoyed the game yesterday despite the loss.

When the Nits were down double-digits not once, not twice, but three times to the #12 team in the nation, and made a run each time, that in itself exemplified their toughness as a team. And when the Hoosiers were draining 3 after 3, including five-for-five on five straight possessions, there was no panic in Penn State’s step, no lowering of their heads. They just came at the Hoosiers harder and harder.

Finally, when Tim Frazier fouled out and most thought all was indeed lost, up stepped Matt Glover to put the Nittany’s on his back and show off his skills as a capable handler, driver and scorer of the basketball to give the Nits a chance that no one thought they would have in the last minute of the game.

I truly feel we are in for some grand times in Penn State basketball. And while the results might not garner the Nits postseason action this season (though I’m beginning to feel otherwise :slight_smile: ), this fan will undoubtedly enjoy the ride every step of the way.[/quote]

I think the most important part of the game was the last minute and a half when Timmy was out.

Penn State will never be decent if they do not get away from a dominant do-it-all Timmy. It’s like the early days of Michael Jordan’s career, when it was “Michael Jordan and 4 stiffs” on the floor. It was good to see the other players picking it up and running with it.

Crean is a class guy. Glad to see him have success this year.

Really like the direction of this team. Biggest surprise yesterday was the play of Graham in the middle.

Amazing story for Nick but I don’t see him turning into a regular player. Trey will be back to take most of his minutes.

I believe, Timmy picked up a really silly foul in the first 15 seconds of the game. I don’t think he had another foul in the first half BUT there were several close calls. Timmy is too important for wreckless diving around like the rest of the players.

Different kind of post game story…

PC still REALLY had his game face on after the game yesterday at the PSU Hoops Club/Alumni Day reception at the BJC. Still very intense IMO, but praised his team, how he was working them very hard and they were busting their butts for him. Made sure to stress that he and the team were not satisfied with “moral wins.” Urged all fans/alums to spread the word about PSU hoops to other fans and other alum’s and have them come out to the BJC and support this team. Impressive.

One of the former PSU players recently told me PC reminds him of Parkhill. Works for me… :slight_smile:

[quote=“CAPPY, post:13, topic:2966”]Different kind of post game story…

PC still REALLY had his game face on after the game yesterday at the PSU Hoops Club/Alumni Day reception at the BJC. Still very intense IMO, but praised his team, how he was working them very hard and they were busting their butts for him. Made sure to stress that he and the team were not satisfied with “moral wins.” Urged all fans/alums to spread the word about PSU hoops to other fans and other alum’s and have them come out to the BJC and support this team. Impressive.

One of the former PSU players recently told me PC reminds him of Parkhill. Works for me… :)[/quote]

Love to hear that his game face was still present well after the final buzzer. It tells me that he really cares about winning games and not just satisfied with looking the part.

[quote=“CAPPY, post:13, topic:2966”]Different kind of post game story…

One of the former PSU players recently told me PC reminds him of Parkhill. Works for me… :)[/quote]

Parkhill style coach with recruiting panache… lookout B1G here we come. :smiley:

I haven’t had a chance to watch yesterday’s game yet, but even before the obvious improvement of the last two games, I’ve thought this team played sharp. Well-coached.

I actually watched the bball game rather than the 1st half of the Giants game, which says a lot (i finally got BTN on my dish subscription).

Just a really hard fought game, a tough loss but something to build on. Loved the fact that there’s just a TON of motion on offense as compared to years past. Sadly, I have a feeling Talor would’ve loved this style offense…but certainly shows of Timmy’s skillset. He’s just turned into a complete player. As someone mentioned, however, they way the team played after he fouled out should tell him that he needs to get others involved.

There is just a lot to take away from this game to be excited about. Interested in your perspective after you watch it…

Random thoughts on the game and the team:

• Was a very fun game to watch - scoring 80+ points on a B1G opponent helps!

• No quit in this team (at least not at the BJC) - Jonesy is right - very loveable team.

• There are some benefits to having very low expectations for this year - it is easier to enjoy hard-fought losses. I know PC isn’t interested in moral victories (and probably good that he isn’t), but I think a lot of positives can be found in this loss.

• Our offense is starting to look better than I expected … hope that can keep up, especially on the road. I’m very much looking forward to this week’s game at Nebraska.

• Loving the effort of Graham, and starting to see his hard work paying off. I can’t put into words how awesome it is to have a big that can actually catch the ball. Some of those bunnies are starting to drop, too. Gonna be real fun to watch him over the next 3.5 years. He might need to work on that free throw form, though, looked a little off to me.

• McLover continues to grow on me as well, and seemingly improves by the game. If he can develop a 3-point shot, I just might have a new man-crush. :stuck_out_tongue:

• Someone mentioned this in the IGT, and I’ve been thinking it for weeks - can we please stop with the diving-from-behind steal attempt? I think I’ve seen it work one time all year, and every other time it just gives the other team a 5-on-4 power play. I appreciate the hustle, but that is a play where if you take the risk, you better make the steal.

• Glad for Collela (sp?) getting some prime time action, and looking like he belongs. Also hope that Trey Lewis gets the message that PC is giving him and responds appropriately. I am surprised that Lewis ended up in the doghouse - I remember the early reports about how PC would ask who the hardest worker on the team was, and he seemed proud that Lewis always responded that he (Lewis) was. I hope, and assume, that this is a minor speed bump and we see him back in full force soon.

[quote=“blue2blue, post:18, topic:2966”]Random thoughts on the game and the team:

• Was a very fun game to watch - scoring 80+ points on a B1G opponent helps!

• No quit in this team (at least not at the BJC) - Jonesy is right - very loveable team.

• There are some benefits to having very low expectations for this year - it is easier to enjoy hard-fought losses. I know PC isn’t interested in moral victories (and probably good that he isn’t), but I think a lot of positives can be found in this loss.

• Our offense is starting to look better than I expected … hope that can keep up, especially on the road. I’m very much looking forward to this week’s game at Nebraska.

• Loving the effort of Graham, and starting to see his hard work paying off. I can’t put into words how awesome it is to have a big that can actually catch the ball. Some of those bunnies are starting to drop, too. Gonna be real fun to watch him over the next 3.5 years. He might need to work on that free throw form, though, looked a little off to me.

• McLover continues to grow on me as well, and seemingly improves by the game. If he can develop a 3-point shot, I just might have a new man-crush. :stuck_out_tongue:

• Someone mentioned this in the IGT, and I’ve been thinking it for weeks - can we please stop with the diving-from-behind steal attempt? I think I’ve seen it work one time all year, and every other time it just gives the other team a 5-on-4 power play. I appreciate the hustle, but that is a play where if you take the risk, you better make the steal.

• Glad for Collela (sp?) getting some prime time action, and looking like he belongs. Also hope that Trey Lewis gets the message that PC is giving him and responds appropriately. I am surprised that Lewis ended up in the doghouse - I remember the early reports about how PC would ask who the hardest worker on the team was, and he seemed proud that Lewis always responded that he (Lewis) was. I hope, and assume, that this is a minor speed bump and we see him back in full force soon.[/quote]

I am all in on Glover. Think he’s got big time potential. Good defender, and rebounder. Always room in the squad for tough perimeter players.

I agree on all counts. This team is fun to watch and I am very excited by the potential that is building for future years! I really do love the strides that they made this week. Lets go get the Huskers!