PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

It's Time For Basketball Season!

Penn State fans, I have a problem with you. We are known nationally as a big time football school with the best student section in the country, which is great. Listen, I like PSU football as much as the next guy and that student section is awesome, but I’m a basketball fan at heart, and I think Talor Battle and the basketball boys are getting ripped off. I have had men’s season tickets the last two years and here are my ten reasons why I think you should join me...

http://onwardstate.com/2010/10/06/its-time-for-basketball-season/

:stuck_out_tongue:

Is the football team really known nationally for having the best student section? I hear PSU people say such things, but I’ve never really heard non-PSU people say it. I mean, our white-outs are now being outdone by coordinated sectioned colors at other schools which I think is far more impressive than just all white.

Coordinated colors like at Iowa the other week? Those are very impressive, but I believe shirts are given out (like the S Zone at PSU). Much less impressive than 110,000 fans wearing a designated color by their own doing.

As for the student section - I can’t count how many times Kirk Herbstreit has referred to our SS and their antics as being the best on national tv. I’m down here in Atlanta right now and a few people have actually said to me that they love the Penn State whiteout when I say what school I am from.

Kirk Herbstreit anointed the students and they have embraced it.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:2, topic:1384"]Is the football team really known nationally for having the best student section? I hear PSU people say such things, but I've never really heard non-PSU people say it. I mean, our white-outs are now being outdone by coordinated sectioned colors at other schools which I think is far more impressive than just all white.[/quote]

Kirk Herbstreit anointed the students and they have embraced it.

UncleLar, you are absolutely right. He anointed the students at the Ohio State game in 2005. He called it “the best student section in the country”.

Kirk Herbstreit Declares PSU Best Student Section
He’s also said it at other times. Every time he comes to SC he raves about our fans. Although, to be honest, he has “anointed” other student sections with the same title.

The SS has gone down hill recently. Not showing up early enough, not filling the section to the top (or at least close to it), saying F-U to the Temple band, etc. Not to mention the SS is going to change next season (?) with the new seating thing… even though I think I read that acoustically it’ll be louder?

Multi colors are really cool, but I’m not sure if the Beav is optimal for it, I guess it would work. White is probably the best single color.

[quote=“noobd, post:7, topic:1384”]The SS has gone down hill recently. Not showing up early enough, not filling the section to the top (or at least close to it), saying F-U to the Temple band, etc. Not to mention the SS is going to change next season (?) with the new seating thing… even though I think I read that acoustically it’ll be louder?

Multi colors are really cool, but I’m not sure if the Beav is optimal for it, I guess it would work. White is probably the best single color.[/quote]
The F-U stuff is nothing new. That has been going on since before 2005 (when Kirk first “anointed” the SS). The SS attendance for the smaller games has gone downhill though. You are correct, next season will start the new SS location. It’s being promoted as some scientific genius by Guido et al, but it’s just an attempt by the AD to milk more money. Seniors, and even most juniors, had prime seats along the east sideline (out to roughly the 30), but they are only paying 20-something dollars for these tickets. The AD is just shoving all the students in the southern end zone so they can charge more money for the prime seats that the students used to have.

Hopefully some of the additional revennu that the STEP system is generating for the AD can be used to help entice a proven hoops coach, should Tim Curley need to conduct another “national” search in the coming years.

[quote=“noobd, post:7, topic:1384”]The SS has gone down hill recently. Not showing up early enough, not filling the section to the top (or at least close to it), saying F-U to the Temple band, etc. Not to mention the SS is going to change next season (?) with the new seating thing… even though I think I read that acoustically it’ll be louder?

Multi colors are really cool, but I’m not sure if the Beav is optimal for it, I guess it would work. White is probably the best single color.[/quote]

Since the stadium is split up by even numbered seats on one side of a section, odd numbered seats on the other side, we could do a blue/white stripe thing (evens wear blue, odds wear white). The students would be tough though given they don’t know their seats until they get to the stadium. I guess they’d need to be ready for both.

2007 Herbie Awards

2008 Herbie Awards

2009 Herbie Awards

2010 Herbie Awards

Should we read something into the fact that a topic entitled “It’s Time For Basketball Season!” now has almost a dozen replies, and every single one has been about the football team?

He, the end of my last post kinda relates it back to hoops :wink:

The fact that this thread never really got on topic shows that it is time for basketball season. :smiley:

There has been a push to get the student section moved for years, due to the difficulty in loading it when everyone shows up at once. While I’m sure there might be some monetary benefit and some may see the quality of seats as a net loss, you end up with a situation where students are closer to the field than they were before. Sure, they won’t have those seats between the 10 and 40 any more, however you also won’t any students sitting as far away as they do today.

I can guarantee you though that it goes well beyond just being an attempt to “milk more money”.

Maybe this will help to get this thread back on topic. :slight_smile:

gopsusports.com: Third Annual Live Penn State Basketball Student Season Ticket Sale At HUB Thursday

Hopefully they’ll be able to do another open practice/scrimmage type event the day of the Michigan football game. The timing seems right for it since practice will be underway, and it’s still over a week out from the first exhibition game.

There’s an open practice for Hoops Club members the week before - on the Saturday of the Minnesota away game.

Didn’t want to start a new thread on this, but Jay Bilas has the Big 10 as #1 conference. I’m not an insider.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=bilas_jay&id=5658059&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmens-college-basketball%2fblog%3fname%3dbilas_jay%26id%3d5658059

[quote="State4Life, post:8, topic:1384"]You are correct, next season will start the new SS location. It's being promoted as some scientific genius by Guido et al, but it's just an attempt by the AD to milk more money. Seniors, and even most juniors, had prime seats along the east sideline (out to roughly the 30), but they are only paying 20-something dollars for these tickets. The AD is just shoving all the students in the southern end zone so they can charge more money for the prime seats that the students used to have.[/quote]

There has been a push to get the student section moved for years, due to the difficulty in loading it when everyone shows up at once. While I’m sure there might be some monetary benefit and some may see the quality of seats as a net loss, you end up with a situation where students are closer to the field than they were before. Sure, they won’t have those seats between the 10 and 40 any more, however you also won’t any students sitting as far away as they do today.

I can guarantee you though that it goes well beyond just being an attempt to “milk more money”.

Seems to be a theme with the AD’s office… The changes are going to make them more money, but that’s not the real goal of the change… ::slight_smile:

Can’t say I disagree.