PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

It's Starting

[quote="tundra, post:19, topic:1282"]The link talks about 93,000 tickets sold. That leaves about 15,000 tickets for general sale. This is MUCH more than usual for general sale. I did not link anything about STEP. STEP has been explained on many other PSU boards. One more point. STEP is no great "brain child" idea. EVERYBODY has know a couple of other schools charge more licensing fees for their season football tickets. So, the decision had to made at the top when PSU was going to "change" licensing fees systems. Did the "old way" need revised? Maybe so. I just think STEP went WAY TOO FAR, WAY TOO FAST.................To the point of being mean spirted. And, I think, empty seats will be the result.[/quote]

STEP doesn’t start until next year so why should any renewals this year be affected? As far as STEP going “WAY TOO FAR, WAY TOO FAST”, I’m not sure how much slower they could have gone. It was rumored for years. Joe Batista started talking about doing something from the very moment he took over as the director of the NLC in 2006.

Why are so many tickets now available??..serious question.
WAY TOO FAR…means STEP will be charging TOO MUCH…
People have though about and discussed change WAY before Joe Batista was in the NLC job. The problem was “Do you change a WINNING GAME??” see: sell outs and mucho profits. Joe was just the perfect implementation guy. SUPER zealous worker. BUT Joe had to be assigned the task from the TOP.
Think ten years ahead and let me know how you feel about 10,000 empty seats. …And, heck many of “these students” might not make it to the game at all. Ya know it’s really “cool” to tailgate until your stone drunk.

I tend to agree. I think what this will prove more than anything is that people will pay whatever you ask of them when it comes to Penn State (and many other schools i’m sure share this problem)… they might moan about it more than before, but most will still reach into their wallets and shell out.

Can’t really blame the decision if that’s how this all winds up. Now if we see a bunch of empty seats at the stadium that we didn’t used to see, there might be some questions to answer. But I think the loyalty (and stupidity) of college football fans knows no bounds and you might as well milk them for all their worth while you’ve got them. If you’re able to get more money for the better seats you should be doing it and not just have people locked into them because they were there before most of us were born.

[quote="tundra, post:19, topic:1282"]The link talks about 93,000 tickets sold. That leaves about 15,000 tickets for general sale. This is MUCH more than usual for general sale. I did not link anything about STEP. STEP has been explained on many other PSU boards. One more point. STEP is no great "brain child" idea. EVERYBODY has know a couple of other schools charge more licensing fees for their season football tickets. So, the decision had to made at the top when PSU was going to "change" licensing fees systems. Did the "old way" need revised? Maybe so. I just think STEP went WAY TOO FAR, WAY TOO FAST.................To the point of being mean spirted. And, I think, empty seats will be the result.[/quote]

STEP doesn’t start until next year so why should any renewals this year be affected? As far as STEP going “WAY TOO FAR, WAY TOO FAST”, I’m not sure how much slower they could have gone. It was rumored for years. Joe Batista started talking about doing something from the very moment he took over as the director of the NLC in 2006.

People have though about and discussed change WAY before Joe Batista was in the NLC job. The problem was “Do you change a WINNING GAME??” see: sell outs and mucho profits. Joe was just the perfect implementation guy. SUPER zealous worker. BUT Joe had to be assigned the task from the TOP.
Think ten years ahead and let me know how you feel about 10,000 empty seats. …And, heck many of “these students” might not make it to the game at all. Ya know it’s really “cool” to tailgate until your stone drunk.

Because the home schedule sucks. The only good games - Iowa, Ohio State, and Alabama - are away.

I know a lot of people who won’t be paying any more $$$ with step than they did without it. Once you’re forking over $2400 for a reserved slot, you’re qualified for 4 seats between the forties and that covers many of my friends.

Because the home schedule sucks. The only good games - Iowa, Ohio State, and Alabama - are away.

I know a lot of people who won’t be paying any more $$$ with step than they did without it. Once you’re forking over $2400 for a reserved slot, you’re qualified for 4 seats between the forties and that covers many of my friends.

1. I don’t think the “poor schedule” has that much of an impact as reflexed by the number of available tickets…we have many years with poor schedules.
  2. You run with a “fast crowd.” :wink:

This also isn’t an UP year for the program by most expert predictions. If we were to somehow beat Bama this year you’d see the rest of the games fill up in a hurry, but I don’t think you ever seen fans going crazy to get tickets in a year like this one.

Next year I think you’ll see a much greater demand earlier on.

Now if you want to talk about an awful ticket system… look at some of the NFL teams. Getting tickets to a single Steelers game via the front office (and not some 3rd party place) you have to put your name into a lottery where you MIGHT get to goto a game, but you have very little say in which one it is - you get to rank the ones you prefer in order and it can potentially help you get tickets for those games but it’s still pretty much a crapshoot.

We’ll know a lot more about the results next year. Right now we are seeing some knee-jerk reactions. Some people are dumping their tickets this year knowing they won’t pony up the extra cash next year and because the schedule stinks this year. And those that kept their seats this year weren’t able to move yet. We’ll see how this plays out next year when the actual plan is in place and the schedule is great (Alabama, OSU, Iowa, possibly Nebraska).

The bottom line, is that the demand for football tickets is not inelastic and PSU depends on many people traveling to State College for the games. I don’t know if the powers that be at PSU have faced this reality. At some price the stadium will stop filling up. Likely some consultant told them that the fans would pay up to X dollars for a season ticket and still sell out the stadium (at least I hope they did their homework on this), but if the estimate was wrong, empty seats could be the result. I don’t really understand the need to reinvent the model that was already working. Incrementally raising the NLC dues until the stadium stops selling out is the correct way to do this, you don’t have to emulate some other school just for the sake of copying them, especially when a system works.

Tell me another stadium or arena in America where the best seats cost the same as the worst seats. What don’t people understand about this? They just decided it was time to charge more money for better seats. Why is this so evil? It is the same as EVERYWHERE else.

The model works fine today, but not five to ten years down the road. The Athletic Department decided not to keep driving blindly towards the expenses > revenues cliff. As it is, Curley probably should have implemented STEP three or four years ago.

[quote="psu_DC, post:27, topic:1282"]I don't really understand the need to reinvent the model that was already working.[/quote]

The model works fine today, but not five to ten years down the road. The Athletic Department decided not to keep driving blindly towards the expenses > revenues cliff. As it is, Curley probably should have implemented STEP three or four years ago.

CLIFF ?? unbelievable ??
PSU has been one of the MOST profitable college football programs EVER!!

But, THANK YOU fans…please line up and BEND OVER

[quote="psu_DC, post:27, topic:1282"]I don't really understand the need to reinvent the model that was already working.[/quote]

CLIFF ?? unbelievable ??

And there will be just as many fans in seats post-STEP as pre-STEP.

CLIFF ?? unbelievable ??

And there will be just as many fans in seats post-STEP as pre-STEP.

The issue of fannies in seats at the Beav isn’t that different from the BJC, just on a MUCH larger scale… You win (and beat worthy opponents) you’ll fill the place. You play cupcakes and lose to the good teams that visit, you’ll have empty seats to deal with. As long as there’s a waiting list for tickets, and they’re selling the place out, I can’t argue with asking more, it’s simple economics. (of course, I’m not “in the game” as a season ticket holder / NLC member) Sometimes you don’t know how elastic your demand really is until you start to move pricing a little.

the BJC?

New donors and alums have never had an option to sit in better seats. Now they will get that chance.

The other thing to remember no one sitting on the sidelines is being removed from their seats. They have the same chance (actually better) of sitting in their seats as long as they want. You just have to pay the going rate.

This will also curtail some of the ticket hoarding that takes place as well.

Time to open the doors and air the room out.

For those of old enough to remember we did the same thing in the 1960’s when we move to the new BS. We moved the doctors and older state college residents out of their 50 yard line seats when they failed to donate to the Levi Lamb fund. They did not like being to told to make a donation and they balked. They lost their 50 yard line seats and a newer generation moved into them. MY generation. Now we are being given the same opportunity, increase our donation or face being moved to seats outside the 40 yard line. Don’t increase your donation, enjoy the games from the 30-10 yard line seats, the choice is yours.

Like everything else it costs money to run a program and please do not tell me to drop an olympic program because you don’t want to pay the new fees. That is complete BULL. These are the teams that are winning NCAA championships and adding to our reputation.

It sounds like PSU will be adding an olympic program from the other thread. Maybe STEP helps that get established.

[quote=“pap17754, post:35, topic:1282”]For those of old enough to remember we did the same thing in the 1960’s when we move to the new BS. We moved the doctors and older state college residents out of their 50 yard line seats when they failed to donate to the Levi Lamb fund. They did not like being to told to make a donation and they balked. They lost their 50 yard line seats and a newer generation moved into them. MY generation. Now we are being given the same opportunity, increase our donation or face being moved to seats outside the 40 yard line. Don’t increase your donation, enjoy the games from the 30-10 yard line seats, the choice is yours.

Like everything else it costs money to run a program and please do not tell me to drop an olympic program because you don’t want to pay the new fees. That is complete BULL. These are the teams that are winning NCAA championships and adding to our reputation.[/quote]

Well spoken, Pap!

Exactly. I don’t see how there’s anything arguably wrong with charging more for seats between the 40’s than for those in the north upper deck.

Quite frankly, I think it’s crazy that people with awesome midfield seats have been getting such a sweet deal for decades. But rather than acknowledge that, people are complaining that they’d continue to get seats are below market value forever. It’s silly. And it’s not like PSU is forcing them out: they are offering a very fair choice of (1) pay market value for your great seats or (2) move to seats that are the same price but are not as choice a location.

The people I feel sorry for are those being forceably relocated due to the student section or visitors section moving or ADA access. At least those people get first dibs at available seats.

For those of old enough to remember we did the same thing in the 1960's when we move to the new BS. We moved the doctors and older state college residents out of their 50 yard line seats when they failed to donate to the Levi Lamb fund. They did not like being to told to make a donation and they balked. [b]They lost their 50 yard line seats and a newer generation moved into them. MY generation. Now we are being given the same opportunity, increase our donation or face being moved [/b]to seats outside the 40 yard line. Don't increase your donation, enjoy the games from the 30-10 yard line seats, the choice is yours.

Like everything else it costs money to run a program and please do not tell me to drop an olympic program because you don’t want to pay the new fees. That is complete BULL. These are the teams that are winning NCAA championships and adding to our reputation.

[quote="mjg, post:28, topic:1282"]Tell me another stadium or arena in America where the best seats cost the same as the worst seats. What don't people understand about this? [b]They just decided it was time to charge more money for better seats. Why is this so evil? [/b] It is the same as EVERYWHERE else.[/quote]

Exactly. I don’t see how there’s anything arguably wrong with charging more for seats between the 40’s than for those in the north upper deck.

Quite frankly, I think it’s crazy that people with awesome midfield seats have been getting such a sweet deal for decades. But rather than acknowledge that, people are complaining that they’d continue to get seats are below market value forever. It’s silly. And it’s not like PSU is forcing them out: they are offering a very fair choice of (1) pay market value for your great seats or (2) move to seats that are the same price but are not as choice a location.

The people I feel sorry for are those being forceably relocated due to the student section or visitors section moving or ADA access. At least those people get first dibs at available seats.

[/quote]

Let me tell you why this is “evil”. Because those people who had been getting a sweet deal for decades has been coming to games for decades.

It’s called loyalty, and it’s what Penn State is to be selling itself on.

…Time to pay more? …market value? …deal with it? I think that’s what we should say to the next person to contact you on bahalf of tPSU looking for donations. I think I’ll say something like… “I feel I can use these funds more to my benefit in other endevours. My hottub is not free, you know. If I have any extra when I’m done spending, maybe you can be in that line, but it’s scrictly a financial decision, so deal with it”.

I’d love to know where it’s at now, but there’s always a considerable amount of people who buy/use tickets off of someone else’s points. I know that there are always a number of NLC members in advanced ages who still pony up the amount needed to keep good seats obtained through a lifetime of NLC membership, who then give the tickets to others (offspring, neighbors, old business friends, etc). I’m not sure how you stop that, but it appears that STEP is slightly more weighted towards CURRENT giving levels, at least in terms of getting the best seats. If you’ve got a lifetime of points built up, you’ll still be able to get tickets based on a large number of NLC points, it just won’t get you the same quality of seats it once did. Plus you won’t pay the additional premium for the really good seats if all you’re doing is selling them to your neighbor for face value… And that’s not all that bad a thing.

As much as I hate to feed the cash monster living beneath Old Main, I think there are non-revenue considerations at least in play here.