PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

It's Starting

Thank you STEP

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072210aaa.html

Very soon Beaver Stadium will only have sell outs for 8:00 p.m. BIG GAMES

GREED rains supreme!! :frowning:

Ah, yeah …WE ARE like tO$U…makes me sick.

Actually management should push this chant during games…WE ARE like tO$U

I don’t get it…

PSU rarely sells out the non-big games this early in the year. And there are no big games at home this year.

[quote=“Tom, post:2, topic:1282”]I don’t get it…

PSU rarely sells out the non-big games this early in the year. And there are no big games at home this year.[/quote]

Same here. ???

The true test will be how many renew for next year when the STEP is fully administered. Unfortunately my Father said this will be the last year he is buying season tickets, which sucks for me until I get situated enough that I can buy my own. :frowning:

I’ve had season tickets since 78. This doesn’t affect me at all, no change in price or donation. I really think the impact of this is minimal. And as for the comments very few games this early are sold out? They may not all show up but the stadium virtually sold out every game. I don’t see that changing. I don’t see the big deal

I think STEP will see a lot of downgrades, but it will see a lot of upgrades, too, and even itself out.

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:1282”]Thank you STEP

Actually management should push this chant during games…WE ARE like tO$U[/quote]

Isn’t that reigns supreme?

I agree. I think it will be like other sports programs where the people that want to pay for good seats will fork over the money. I feel bad for people that might have donated a lot in the past to get the seats they have but can no longer afford the new donation levels. But on the other hand, why should someone paying the same amount as me get way better seats? Personally, I think this program is reasonably fair.

I think that a lot of the older alums that have had primo seats for the last 100 years are going to be the ones affected most. They aren’t going to donate to keep them for the most part.

Perhaps you can tell me whose pocket is being lined by this “greed”? Who is being personally enriched?

Actually management should push this chant during games…WE ARE like tO$U[/quote]

More like stupidity reigns supreme. PSU athletics obviously was doing fine financially under the previous system. I had not heard of any great need for the athletic department to infuse massive additional revenue to stay in the black. So then the brilliant economic mind of Tim Curley decided it was time introduce a very different system to sell tickets for his main revenue producer, a system the effects of which are unknown, and which is unpopular among many of his current season ticket buying customers. Sure, STEP might be the right approach to increase revenue, but there are a lot of unanswered questions about what effects it will have - on the number of season tickets sold, whether PSU fans instead seek single game tickets from 3rd parties (in which case he has only created an additional cost for fans), effects on how many fans with tickets actually show up on gameday, the resulting effect on a previously great atmosphere, etc. When you have this many questions and no real need to change the current system, why would you make a change? You should only change to a new system when you are convinced it is the right one. He could have just increased NLC donation minimums by $50 or something and raised more money that way. This is just another example of what many of us have seen out of him while following the men’s basketball program. This guy is a good AD in some respects, but seems about as close to brainless as one could possibly be with respect to some of his larger decisions. You just have to ask yourself why PSU feels the need to do something like this after 5 very very successful years with football following the near disaster of 2003-2004. The answer is not very clear, unless they are trying to raise a ton of cash to replace Paterno - but that wouldn’t seem necessary if the hire will come from the current staff. history with men’s basketball says Curley will take us down a rat hole and ruin the program rather than ever give the job to a non-PSU grad without ties to Paterno.

Thank you STEP

Actually management should push this chant during games…WE ARE like tO$U

More like stupidity reigns supreme. PSU athletics obviously was doing fine financially under the previous system. I had not heard of any great need for the athletic department to infuse massive additional revenue to stay in the black. So then the brilliant economic mind of Tim Curley decided it was time introduce a very different system to sell tickets for his main revenue producer, a system the effects of which are unknown, and which is unpopular among many of his current season ticket buying customers. Sure, STEP might be the right approach to increase revenue, but there are a lot of unanswered questions about what effects it will have - on the number of season tickets sold, whether PSU fans instead seek single game tickets from 3rd parties (in which case he has only created an additional cost for fans), effects on how many fans with tickets actually show up on gameday, the resulting effect on a previously great atmosphere, etc. When you have this many questions and no real need to change the current system, why would you make a change? You should only change to a new system when you are convinced it is the right one. He could have just increased NLC donation minimums by $50 or something and raised more money that way. This is just another example of what many of us have seen out of him while following the men’s basketball program. This guy is a good AD in some respects, but seems about as close to brainless as one could possibly be with respect to some of his larger decisions. You just have to ask yourself why PSU feels the need to do something like this after 5 very very successful years with football following the near disaster of 2003-2004. The answer is not very clear, unless they are trying to raise a ton of cash to replace Paterno - but that wouldn’t seem necessary if the hire will come from the current staff. history with men’s basketball says Curley will take us down a rat hole and ruin the program rather than ever give the job to a non-PSU grad without ties to Paterno.

For one thing, raising the NLC fees exacerbates one of the problems - that being the vast number of season ticket holders who don’t contribute to the NLC at all. STEP fixes that.

Secondly, as securities industry commercials say, past performance does not guarantee future results. When you are steering a ship as gigantic as the PSU athletic department you can’t wait until the iceberg is dead in front of you before you start to turn. They are trying to get out ahead of future problems as well as address past inequities.

Third, planning a future that relies on football continuing to carry the entire athletic department on a yearly basis is foolhardy. The AD would be wise to build up a surplus to carry the department through some inevitable down years. They need to strike while the iron is hot and that means now (frankly I’m surprised they haven’t done it sooner, they should have made this move years ago).

Somebody please count up the number of trite idioms I used. :wink:

[quote="tundra, post:1, topic:1282"]Thank you STEP

Isn’t that reigns supreme?

Yeah, I was trying to “be cute”…with a play on words. I don’t think it worked.

One more point. The next decision Curley makes concerning the football program will be his first! I think STEP came from “above.” AND…NOT JoePA!! Shows ya how things have changed. Spanier is going to win his power play with JoePa, and have many thousands of empty seats to prove it!
JoePa is the university’s BEST fund raiser. Which is the University president’s PRIMARY job. A couple of years after JoePa the PSU money train will slow down to a crawl. I wonder what “the genius” will do then. Maybe STEP 2?? ???

Joe isn’t exactly doing much fund raising these days other than simply existing.

Maybe…maybe not
Didn’t he speak at a breakfast this week. He said also that he was at the opening ceremony for a new hospital wing. During the season he meets weekly with a football booster club. He is on ESPN much during football season.
As long as Joe is still coaching he is THE FACE of Penn State University…NOT just the football team. And it’s a very prominent face with great appeal and national recognition. Joe just being Joe keeps the BIG money flowing. When Joe is gone. Who will be THE FACE of PSU??
Does Spanier’s puss have recognition?? Maybe he will wear his “one man band” getup?..or do “magic tricks” for big boosters. OR…maybe he will just raise tuition and NLC fees.

I don’t think there will be as many empty seats as some people think. I know people who are excited to finally have a shot at better seats. They will gladly pay more money for them. In the past, you could give more money, but it was no guarantee of better seats. Now, the higher donation will ensure you sit within certain areas of the stadium.

[quote=“tundra, post:12, topic:1282”]One more point. The next decision Curley makes concerning the football program will be his first! I think STEP came from “above.” AND…NOT JoePA!! Shows ya how things have changed. Spanier is going to win his power play with JoePa, and have many thousands of empty seats to prove it!
JoePa is the university’s BEST fund raiser. Which is the University president’s PRIMARY job. A couple of years after JoePa the PSU money train will slow down to a crawl. I wonder what “the genius” will do then. Maybe STEP 2?? ???[/quote]

The STEP program was really the brainchild of Spanier and its primary goal is to undermine Paterno? Now that’s some of the most circuitous logic I’ve ever encountered.

[quote="tundra, post:12, topic:1282"]One more point. The next decision Curley makes concerning the football program will be his first! I think STEP came from "above." AND..............NOT JoePA!! Shows ya how things have changed. Spanier is going to win his power play with JoePa, and have many thousands of empty seats to prove it! JoePa is the university's BEST fund raiser. Which is the University president's PRIMARY job. A couple of years after JoePa the PSU money train will slow down to a crawl. I wonder what "the genius" will do then. Maybe STEP 2?? ???[/quote]

The STEP program was really the brainchild of Spanier and its primary goal is to undermine Paterno? Now that’s some of the most circuitous logic I’ve ever encountered.

Point #1 is correct.
I don’t believe I said that STEP’s goal was to undermind JoePa. That is not true. STEP’s goal is GREED/MONEY.
Are you a long time JoePa watcher. THEN, explain to me how Joe could go from saying he would picking his replacement a year or 2 before he stepped down (as Asst HC.) (Something Joe has said MANY MANY times in years past… To now saying he is not even sure he will have any say in his replacement or even be consulted. NOW, do you think Spanier’s has undermined JoePa??

Tundra,
This link now points to single game ticket sales… nothing about STEP… Can you explain or re-link to what you say is so greedy?? Is there something new here that hadn’t been announced before about the program?? Thanks!

The link talks about 93,000 tickets sold. That leaves about 15,000 tickets for general sale. This is MUCH more than usual for general sale.
I did not link anything about STEP. STEP has been explained on many other PSU boards.
One more point. STEP is no great “brain child” idea. EVERYBODY has know a couple of other schools charge more licensing fees for their season football tickets. So, the decision had to made at the top when PSU was going to “change” licensing fees systems.
Did the “old way” need revised? Maybe so. I just think STEP went WAY TOO FAR, WAY TOO FAST…To the point of being mean spirted. And, I think, empty seats will be the result.

[quote=“tundra, post:19, topic:1282”]The link talks about 93,000 tickets sold. That leaves about 15,000 tickets for general sale. This is MUCH more than usual for general sale.
I did not link anything about STEP. STEP has been explained on many other PSU boards.
One more point. STEP is no great “brain child” idea. EVERYBODY has know a couple of other schools charge more licensing fees for their season football tickets. So, the decision had to made at the top when PSU was going to “change” licensing fees systems.
Did the “old way” need revised? Maybe so. I just think STEP went WAY TOO FAR, WAY TOO FAST…To the point of being mean spirted. And, I think, empty seats will be the result.[/quote]

STEP doesn’t start until next year so why should any renewals this year be affected? As far as STEP going “WAY TOO FAR, WAY TOO FAST”, I’m not sure how much slower they could have gone. It was rumored for years. Joe Batista started talking about doing something from the very moment he took over as the director of the NLC in 2006.