It's amazing what a couple of wins will do!

Reading the board tonight after the win against UM is like reading a totally different board than the one that’s been around for the past two months. It’s a nice change…but so is the winning. As far as I recall we’ve really only been blown out twice this year (Wisky, @Purdue). Since we’ve been “in” most games, I think that winning (or losing) becomes contagious. Getting the first win was so crucial…too bad it came a little too late to save the season. Glad to see the optimism back on the board. :slight_smile:

A couple thoughts about next year:

• Barring some sort of ugly meltdown among the players, I think Ed is definitely back next year…should he be?
  • I think Jones could pull a DJ next year. For the majority of the season last year, DJ was horrendous but he began to turn it around late in the year…this year he’s been quite good. Andrew has left a lot to be desired this year, but maybe he’s starting to turn it around…I’m counting on a bounce back for him next season.

I think Ed has to be back next year. If he doesn’t come back, Taran Buie might look elsewhere. In addition, if we bring in a new coach, he’ll want to bring in his players right away. We only have one scholarship for next year and it already has Buie’s name on it. So that would mean that any big name coach might come in and tell several seniors and juniors to look elsewhere. Not the way PSU does things.

All Andrew Jones has to do is play solid D, rebound, and score the easy buckets he’ll have the opportunity to score when Battle, Frazier and Buie drive to the basket.

I’m hoping the real breakout, Andrew Quarless type year is Jeff Brooks. He’s shown signs throughout his career. More and more of those signs are happening late in this season.

Fortunately, or unfortunately (cant tell yet) I think that ED will be back. The same team will be back next year, plus Buie and Marshall. If they can maintain, and build upon the progress they have made in the past few games, then PSU fans will have relatively high expectations going into next year. The team SHOULD have plenty of experience and chemistry by then.

A Buie, Frazier, Babb and Battle back court will be pretty dynamic, hopefully. The front line SHOULD be mature and ready to go out with a bang. Babb will have a year of playing the 2 under his belt.

There simply will be no reason besides BAD coaching for this team not to succeed (~20 wins, based on the schedule).

However, this progress needs to be maintained over time. 2 wins over non-NCAA teams and a few close losses doesn’t really tell much. The next 4 games against 3 dancing teams and 1 former bubble team will tell a strong conclusion. As will the B10 tournament.

IF ED and the Lions fall flat on their faces again season, with numerous seniors leaving… I think it would be time for ED to go. However, this is really premature. What if he signs X Top 150 recruits, as well as many other variables.

Can we stop with the Taran Buie messiah please. Next thing you know we will have him inaugurated president. Way too much on his shoulders should ED regime stay in place. Salvation comes within. The players who will lead PSU to success or failure are already on the roster. Probably with center or power forward next to their names on the depth chart.

Hopefully not what Curley and friends base their decision on. Yeah it would be great to have him on board next year but I’m pretty sure most programs wouldn’t sacrafice their program over 1 player.

I believe Taran has already signed a LOI. He is those bound to PSU unless the school would “release” him.
I don’t believe Ed should be back. BUT, not sure if he will be or not.

Having said that yesterday’s game was by far the most enjoyable of the year. The team was just “different.” They played very loose and with a lot of energy. It looked like they were “having fun.” Sure we had some turnovers BUT overall this was a great team effort.
That is two games in a row that the team was very "loose."
Maybe it’s because our opponents were very weak inside and our bigs had there way…maybe not. It was very nice to see Jones and Brooks be big parts of the victory. They seem like they played most of the season under dark clouds.

[quote=“tundra, post:6, topic:870”]I don’t believe Ed should be back. BUT, not sure if he will be or not.[/quote] Real question will be if Michigan brings back Beilein or not. They can’t be to happy with his progress so far.

[quote="tundra, post:6, topic:870"]I don't believe Ed should be back. BUT, not sure if he will be or not.[/quote] Real question will be if Michigan brings back Beilein or not. They can't be to happy with his progress so far.

But, But, he is “only” in his 3rd year. Don’t they know that it’s “polite” to give at least 7. They must NOT know anything about "floating averages."
I guess that’s why they call them SCum.

Actually they gave him a contract extension through 2015-2016 . Want to bet he doesn’t make anywhere near that long?

[quote=“tundra, post:6, topic:870”]I believe Taran has already signed a LOI. He is those bound to PSU unless the school would “release” him.
I don’t believe Ed should be back. BUT, not sure if he will be or not.

Having said that yesterday’s game was by far the most enjoyable of the year. The team was just “different.” They played very loose and with a lot of energy. It looked like they were “having fun.” Sure we had some turnovers BUT overall this was a great team effort.
That is two games in a row that the team was very "loose."
Maybe it’s because our opponents were very weak inside and our bigs had there way…maybe not. It was very nice to see Jones and Brooks be big parts of the victory. They seem like they played most of the season under dark clouds. [/quote]

Small adjustments make a big difference. Two seasons ago, starting Pringle with Battle made the team much quicker. Seems to me the difference in the last two games has been getting the ball inside to Jones, somewhat to Brooks, but both these guys, and some Ott, scoring in the paint. Except for the Sacred Heart game, where DJ played inside, that hadn’t happened all season. DJ had 27 that game. Getting it inside has opened the arc, better spacing, etc. I also think Frazier has made a huge difference. Not sure why he was out so much yesterday. IMO, he should play 30 minutes per game. Like Pringle, he makes the guards too quick for most teams, and they can’t double Battle.

Re Ed being back, I think he will, though not sure he should be. Why wasn’t the team getting it inside since game one of Big 10 play? IMO, this is fundamental to winning. It’s not like it was unknown. Ed mentioned it, Len Elmore always said it.

Buie will help big time. Not a messiah, but just a guy who likes to finish at the hole, is great at midrange jumpers, likes to post up his man, and not afraid to get belted doing so. In an interview awhile back, he said he’s more of a banger than Talor, that he likes to play above the rim. He’ll also have the second best handle on the team, likes to use it going north/south, and will be the 3rd quickest guy. Will not be standing at the arc waiting to launch up 3’s. Likes to dribble/drive, something we really haven’t seen too much of. And he’s probably a better rebounder than Talor. Expect some putbacks, and some fast breaks off his defensive rebounds.

[quote="tundra, post:6, topic:870"]I don't believe Ed should be back. BUT, not sure if he will be or not.[/quote] Real question will be if Michigan brings back Beilein or not. They can't be to happy with his progress so far.

But, But, he is “only” in his 3rd year. Don’t they know that it’s “polite” to give at least 7. They must NOT know anything about "floating averages."

It’s “rolling” (or “moving”) not “floating” - and you can try to make all the funny little jokes you want but it is an absolutely 100% acceptable way of measuring time series data. People who criticize it at face value are only demonstrating a lack of understanding on their part. Their ignorance does not make the measurement faulty.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:2, topic:870”]I think Ed has to be back next year. If he doesn’t come back, Taran Buie might look elsewhere. In addition, if we bring in a new coach, he’ll want to bring in his players right away. We only have one scholarship for next year and it already has Buie’s name on it. So that would mean that any big name coach might come in and tell several seniors and juniors to look elsewhere. Not the way PSU does things.

All Andrew Jones has to do is play solid D, rebound, and score the easy buckets he’ll have the opportunity to score when Battle, Frazier and Buie drive to the basket.

I’m hoping the real breakout, Andrew Quarless type year is Jeff Brooks. He’s shown signs throughout his career. More and more of those signs are happening late in this season.[/quote]
BUIE is here to stay -his family moved here-he will be a freshman and make the same freshman mistakes we see each year. Let’s base Ed’s future on his ability to lead this team to the Ncaa’s or to fail in that goal. Ed has said in his radio Thursday night call in show that his goal and the team’s goal has not changed from year to year-Win The B10, Win the B 10 Tourney, Go to the Big Dance.

[quote="Great Santini, post:2, topic:870"]I think Ed has to be back next year. If he doesn't come back, Taran Buie might look elsewhere. In addition, if we bring in a new coach, he'll want to bring in his players right away. We only have one scholarship for next year and it already has Buie's name on it. So that would mean that any big name coach might come in and tell several seniors and juniors to look elsewhere. Not the way PSU does things.

I’m hoping the real breakout, Andrew Quarless type year is Jeff Brooks. He’s shown signs throughout his career. More and more of those signs are happening late in this season.[/quote]
BUIE is here to stay -his family moved here-he will be a freshman and make the same freshman mistakes we see each year. Let’s base Ed’s future on his ability to lead this team to the Ncaa’s or to fail in that goal. Ed has said in his radio Thursday night call in show that his goal and the team’s goal has not changed from year to year-Win The B10, Win the B 10 Tourney, Go to the Big Dance.

Shouldn’t going the Big Dance be first?

You keep talking about freshmen mistakes? 3 of the top 4 scorers on Kentucky are freshmen. They make some mistakes, and they’re second in the nation. So did Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo, Derrick Rose, Talor Battle, Hummel, Manny Harris, E’Twuan Moore, John Shurna, BJ Mullens. Augustin, Durant and Abrams(rs) were freshmen together. Need I go on? They still contributed big time as freshmen. He outplayed Lance Stephenson head to head, and IMO, is better than him. As I predicted, Lance can’t shoot. He’s at .196 from the arc this season, a pitiful 11-56. The question is, “will Buie help the team and how much?” You may have noticed, Talor is the primary player who drives and finishes at the basket, and is leading the team in rebounding. IMO, Taran will be better at both. Yes, as a freshman. And he’s unlikely to be launching too many 3’s. Will that help much?

It’s “rolling” (or “moving”) not “floating” - and you can try to make all the funny little jokes you want but it is an absolutely 100% acceptable way of measuring time series data. People who criticize it at face value are only demonstrating a lack of understanding on their part. Their ignorance does not make the measurement faulty.

I’ve seen quite a few calling it out over on FOS. What is that all about?

If Taran can really get into the lane as efficiently as Kid is stating then he will certainly make an impact next year. Our bigs will really benefit from another player who can command help D by getting into the lane.

I’m holding out hope Buie grows 6" between now and next season.

There is going to be one hell of a logjam at guard between Battle, Frazier, Babb, Woodyard, Marshall and Buie

[quote=“Tom, post:16, topic:870”]I’m holding out hope Buie grows 6" between now and next season.

There is going to be one hell of a logjam at guard between Battle, Frazier, Babb, Woodyard, Marshall and Buie[/quote]Yep. To bad there isn’t a log jam of pf’s and centers. Guard position won’t be prob. PSU’s probs will once again be down on the blocks.

It’s the best part of his game. Granted it won’t be as easy at DI as HS, but he’s about as good at it as you see in HS. Explosive. And Gary Williams was quoted as him “having the best mid-range game in his class.” He needs to improve his 3 shooting, so it’s respected and he’s covered there. Otherwise, they’ll play off him. But he’s had a couple of games where he’s hit 6 in a game, so it’s not awful. I think Frazier hit 7 in his final 38 games at Strake Jesuit. I’m guessing Buie hit 30-35 his junior year, with 6 in his final Maginn game. Like Talor, needs to work on his free throws, but he’ll get to the line big time. Remember those crazy HS drive moves Talor did his freshman year? Well, you’re going to see some of those, and they lead to getting fouled. You don’t know what you can get away with until you try. :wink:

Kid do you think Taran will continue to be a “banger” even with the concussion? I know you can’t strip it from his game but he might be a little more tentative now.

I’m not expecting much from Taran next year. First, where are the minutes going to come from? Second, he does have a nice dribble/drive, but he will not be as successful at that as he has been in high school. Third he is not a pure shooter, he is a scorer. Once opponents learn that he won’t hurt them from deep, his opportunities to drive will be limited and if he is able to drive, there will be a lot bigger men he’s going against. I would think expecting more than 5 points a game from him is an unrealistic expectation.