PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

It's almost time

We have almost reached the earliest stage of the season for a poster to say “We just need to win the B10 tourney to get into the Dance-we can beat any team on any given night”. Or my second favorite-"I support and love our team and our coach, I won’t comment until the whole season plays out.

All we need to do is win the Big 10 tournament and we’re in. Just a couple of games. But we should first see how the season turns out before commenting.

Yeah, no big deal, only the 1st or 2nd best conference in college basketball. Easy peezy, just like last year right? Oh wait, PSU got rocked by the 6 seed in the first round…

[quote="bballguy, post:2, topic:1635"]All we need to do is win the Big 10 tournament and we're in. Just a couple of games. But we should first see how the season turns out before commenting.[/quote]

Yeah, no big deal, only the 1st or 2nd best conference in college basketball. Easy peezy, just like last year right? Oh wait, PSU got rocked by the 6 seed in the first round…

Someone missed the sarcasm.

Indeed the case.

I like all these people that show up to the board to let us know what our record is. As if I have no idea.

Really has nothing to do with our record-our record wasn’t mentioned. It’s just the annual progression ala the Pgh Pirates. Pre season optimism, followed by excitement over new players, followed by disappointment, followed by realization that we are already out of it in spite of having Ed’s most experienced squad yet.

[quote="NGameday, post:6, topic:1635"]I like all these people that show up to the board to let us know what our record is. As if I have no idea.[/quote]

Really has nothing to do with our record-our record wasn’t mentioned. It’s just the annual progression ala the Pgh Pirates. Pre season optimism, followed by excitement over new players, followed by disappointment, followed by realization that we are already out of it in spite of having Ed’s most experienced squad yet.
-

It’s the same idea though. Every year somebody shows up just to say “hahah we suck and you’re wasting your time caring about it”

If I could I would probably get a new coach, but I can’t so I don’t spend my time on here going “AHHHH LOUD NOISES” beacuse it’s boring to read, and it’s boring to post. People are under the impression on here that if you don’t spend your time talking about how much you hate Ed, you automatically would give him an extention and a raise tomorrow if you could.

It pisses me off we suck, trust me. I just don’t need 16 people starting a thread everyday to remind me of that.

I definitely agree with this ^^ . We all know it’s not a great situation but you have to at least have some hope and root on the guys.

[quote="bballguy, post:2, topic:1635"]All we need to do is win the Big 10 tournament and we're in. Just a couple of games. But we should first see how the season turns out before commenting.[/quote]

Someone missed the sarcasm.

No, I saw it. :slight_smile:

[quote="NGameday, post:6, topic:1635"]I like all these people that show up to the board to let us know what our record is. As if I have no idea.[/quote]

-

It’s the same idea though. Every year somebody shows up just to say “hahah we suck and you’re wasting your time caring about it”

If I could I would probably get a new coach, but I can’t so I don’t spend my time on here going “AHHHH LOUD NOISES” beacuse it’s boring to read, and it’s boring to post. People are under the impression on here that if you don’t spend your time talking about how much you hate Ed, you automatically would give him an extention and a raise tomorrow if you could.

It pisses me off we suck, trust me. I just don’t need 16 people starting a thread everyday to remind me of that.

Exactly. +1

-

I agree 100% and probably why I haven’t been posting as much this season. It’s not that I don’t care but rather I don’t have much to say without rehashing old arguments.

-

I agree 100% and probably why I haven’t been posting as much this season. It’s not that I don’t care but rather I don’t have much to say without rehashing old arguments.

Do you realize why we have this rehashing?? It’s the same old story every year. No excitement, just bite your lip and make it to spring. Kind of a sad state of affairs at this point of Ed’s tenure.

Do you realize why we have this rehashing?? It's the same old story every year. No excitement, just bite your lip and make it to spring. Kind of a sad state of affairs at this point of Ed's tenure.

Except… it’s not the same old story every year. 2009 was a pretty exciting season that was a let down because of the schedule. Still the NIT was entertaining if nothing else.

2010 was a disappointment given much bigger expectations, but there were a lot of hard fought, close games played. We were competitive against nearly everyone. Were were 5 years ago? No.

Now we’re in the 2011 season and you guys act like we’ve seen 3 straight years of nothing but losing. I wish we were further along right now but you guys talk like we’re in the same place we were 7 or 8 years ago and that’s simply a lie.

Should Ed be out of here if this season continues going nowhere? Yes, and nobody here is going to argue that with you. This has been the make or break year everyone has had circled for 3 years now - and if you’ve made up your mind that it’s over, so be it. The rest of us are going to ride it out and see what happens the rest of the way, fully aware of our chances now but hopeful about it.

Stop acting like this is the same thing you’ve been watching for the last 8 years - it’s not. If what you see in this program today is the same thing you saw when Ed took over, you haven’t been paying attention whatsoever. We all wish we were further along, you’re not presenting anything interesting here by continuing to cry about it after every loss. They hurt all of us, especially the people who actually live and breathe this team (as opposed to just standing on the sidelines throwing rocks at it like the rest of you).

Ed hasn’t gotten us there, but he’s definitely improved the team. Will the next guy? Who knows, but we’ll support him as much as possible because crying that we don’t have the program/coach/arena/fans that some other school does helps nobody. You want a team that mostly wins and spends whatever it takes to compete every year? I hear the Yankees do a lot of that. And their fans are still miserable. So you guys would all fit in over there - feel free to leave anytime now.

Except… it’s not the same old story every year. 2009 was a pretty exciting season that was a let down because of the schedule. Still the NIT was entertaining if nothing else.

2010 was a disappointment given much bigger expectations, but there were a lot of hard fought, close games played. We were competitive against nearly everyone. Were were 5 years ago? No.

Now we’re in the 2011 season and you guys act like we’ve seen 3 straight years of nothing but losing. I wish we were further along right now but you guys talk like we’re in the same place we were 7 or 8 years ago and that’s simply a lie.

Should Ed be out of here if this season continues going nowhere? Yes, and nobody here is going to argue that with you. This has been the make or break year everyone has had circled for 3 years now - and if you’ve made up your mind that it’s over, so be it. The rest of us are going to ride it out and see what happens the rest of the way, fully aware of our chances now but hopeful about it.

Stop acting like this is the same thing you’ve been watching for the last 8 years - it’s not. If what you see in this program today is the same thing you saw when Ed took over, you haven’t been paying attention whatsoever. We all wish we were further along, you’re not presenting anything interesting here by continuing to cry about it after every loss. They hurt all of us, especially the people who actually live and breathe this team (as opposed to just standing on the sidelines throwing rocks at it like the rest of you).

Ed hasn’t gotten us there, but he’s definitely improved the team. Will the next guy? Who knows, but we’ll support him as much as possible because crying that we don’t have the program/coach/arena/fans that some other school does helps nobody. You want a team that mostly wins and spends whatever it takes to compete every year? I hear the Yankees do a lot of that. And their fans are still miserable. So you guys would all fit in over there - feel free to leave anytime now.[/quote]

Oh that was beautiful-thanks for the lecture. I have been a loyal fan for 30 years and have missed probably 7 home games in that span(all due to illness). You are probably one of our die hard fans who might just sit home and watch the game on the B10 network because it’s too cold to make it to the BJC. Not me!! I am there to support this team. You can accept this current state of PSU basketball and its mediocrity, but I won’t sit back and stop being vocal. The only thing this adm understands are upset fans who demand a change. You can spout off about past successes, and there have been a few, but Ed is closing in on 100 losses. Has anyone done that so quickly in major College hoops?? Look at the total record and try to believe all is OK

-

Gameday I think you spoke for most of us with that one. Bravo!

I can take the losing…The thing that makes me so frustrated in the lack of effort from the top on down to having a good basketball program. If noone in the athletic dept. cares why should we? No wonder the BJC is only a third full everynight. All I asked for is an honest effort to build the program, and it’s obvious that the status quo is NOT working. Where else in the country could Ed and his staff keep their jobs after 7 of 8 subpar seasons? I think ED is a wonderful human being, just not a Big Ten caliber basketball coach or recruiter.

I say this out of my own ignorance, but I hear lots of people talk about what a great guy he is. I’m curious as to what he does that makes him a great guy or “wonderful human being”. Not being a jerk, but just being honest that I really don’t know much about him personally. What experiences have you guys had with him?

I agree with a lot of that, but as far as fan/alum support goes, remember that it does go both ways.

It took a 20+ win season just to get a good crowd out to our games. Makes you wonder what it would take to get a great crowd (or at least a consistently solid showing) night in and night out. If that support isn’t there, and it isn’t consistent, then the AD doesn’t exactly have much of a reason to care either. They’ve got their cash cow already; the football program. Now if the bball program did get more support, at least for a few seasons, that might wake up the AD a little bit…

It’s all cyclical, in my opinion. Less fan support equals less incentive for the AD to invest more into the program, and less effort from the AD equals less fan support for the program. This, IMHO, is why it is so difficult for any ncaa sports program to rise up after hitting rock bottom. Breaking that cycle is no easy task. Something has got to give because it doesn’t look like either the students/alums or the AD are going to budge. And it seems to me that the one thing that could happen to break that cycle would be to find a coach who can evaluate AND develop talent. I think Ed is very good at finding talent. Battle, Brooks, Buie, Cornley, Claxton, Pringle; no shortage of talented players during his tenure. But I haven’t seen much development with those guys. Even Talor is about the same as he was during our NIT run. He just happened to already be very skilled when we got him, so not much development was needed in his case. I mean, I like Ed a lot too. And despite the naysayers, I still feel we could do a lot worse than him. But I still wonder whether he has taken this program as far as he can (and to be fair, winning the NIT was no small feat considering just how bad this team was when he first got here).

In any case, it really does come down to coaching. Coaching is what got the program into this mess in the first place, and coaching is going to be what gets us out of it. Whether Ed is the guy to do that or we bring someone else in who can do it, who knows…

[quote="danlauver, post:17, topic:1635"]I can take the losing...The thing that makes me so frustrated in the lack of effort from the top on down to having a good basketball program. If noone in the athletic dept. cares why should we? No wonder the BJC is only a third full everynight. All I asked for is an honest effort to build the program, and it's obvious that the status quo is NOT working. Where else in the country could Ed and his staff keep their jobs after 7 of 8 subpar seasons? I think ED is a wonderful human being, just not a Big Ten caliber basketball coach or recruiter.[/quote]

I say this out of my own ignorance, but I hear lots of people talk about what a great guy he is. I’m curious as to what he does that makes him a great guy or “wonderful human being”. Not being a jerk, but just being honest that I really don’t know much about him personally. What experiences have you guys had with him?

His charity work - specifically, his work on cancer-related causes - has been extremely impressive. Of course, his own battle with cancer is obviously a big motivator for him, but he really does go above and beyond what I would expect out of your average college coach.