PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Is there any information out there or was last year so bad

that not even the ‘insider’s’ bother posting. I heard that Sasa went down with an ACL which is just terrible. Besides Jones/Brooks/Jackson who is left to play the 4/5 positions now that Ott is gone also?

Lots of people seem to want to put Billy Oliver at the 3, but I think he’ll be at the 4.

Graham is slotted at the 4 I believe along with Oliver.

I hope the mins that Sasa was going to get were mainly at the 5. He struggled staying with some of the 4’s on D. His size, footspeed and post up game say 5. Graham should now become the main backup at 5. I don’t think it’ll be a big problem as I think we’ll go 3G 2F a lot. I’d expect to see lots of DJ, Jeff and Oliver in these sets. While they may not have the size to bang they may have the quickness to deny the ball. I’d really like to see more of Jeff on the blocks hitting those jump hooks. It’s such an easy shot and difficult to stop. The hard part is getting Jeff to go down on the blocks.

I agree on Jeff. Not sure what you mean by DJ, Jeff and Oliver in these sets. In 3G 2F? You mean no 5?

[quote="JakkL, post:4, topic:1400"]I hope the mins that Sasa was going to get were mainly at the 5. He struggled staying with some of the 4's on D. His size, footspeed and post up game say 5. Graham should now become the main backup at 5. I don't think it'll be a big problem as I think we'll go 3G 2F a lot. [b]I'd expect to see lots of DJ, Jeff and Oliver in these sets.[/b] While they may not have the size to bang they may have the quickness to deny the ball. I'd really like to see more of Jeff on the blocks hitting those jump hooks. It's such an easy shot and difficult to stop. The hard part is getting Jeff to go down on the blocks.[/quote]

I agree on Jeff. Not sure what you mean by DJ, Jeff and Oliver in these sets. In 3G 2F? You mean no 5?

Yes. No 5. It’s not a must in NCAA. Lots of schools don’t have a real 5. And I think the matchup edge of 4 vs. 5 will swing more toward the 4 side of the ledger. In general I think it’s easier for a 4 to exploit his quickness/shooting/ball handling advantage than a 5 to exploit his size advantage.

[quote="JakkL, post:4, topic:1400"]I hope the mins that Sasa was going to get were mainly at the 5. He struggled staying with some of the 4's on D. His size, footspeed and post up game say 5. Graham should now become the main backup at 5. I don't think it'll be a big problem as I think we'll go 3G 2F a lot. [b]I'd expect to see lots of DJ, Jeff and Oliver in these sets.[/b] While they may not have the size to bang they may have the quickness to deny the ball. I'd really like to see more of Jeff on the blocks hitting those jump hooks. It's such an easy shot and difficult to stop. The hard part is getting Jeff to go down on the blocks.[/quote]

Yes. No 5. It’s not a must in NCAA. Lots of schools don’t have a real 5. And I think the matchup edge of 4 vs. 5 will swing more toward the 4 side of the ledger. In general I think it’s easier for a 4 to exploit his quickness/shooting/ball handling advantage than a 5 to exploit his size advantage.

I think you’ll be right if AJ is in foul trouble or tired, and Graham isn’t up to speed to back him up. Not sure it’ll be regular, but it’s interesting, cause it’s a 3F 2G offense so kind of big. I still think we’ll see 3G 2F more often. While it depends on a bunch of things, I see quite a battle for the 3 spot. I don’t see Brooks there, though he certainly has spent most/all of his career there. To me, a 3 has to shoot and handle well and do some rebounding. Don’t think he really provides that. I think it’s between Oliver, Marshall, Bowman, Cam, though Bowman can also play the 2. Oliver sort of important determinant, whether he plays the 3 or 4 spot.

You’re still misreading my post. I was trying to say that you’d see Brooks, Oliver and Jackson splitting time at the two forward spots on a 3G 2F lineup. No center.

Look for Penn State to use more three-guard rotations and play, as DeChellis put it, “two forwards instead of a natural center.”

[quote=“JakkL, post:8, topic:1400”]You’re still misreading my post. I was trying to say that you’d see Brooks, Oliver and Jackson splitting time at the two forward spots on a 3G 2F lineup. No center.

[quote]Look for Penn State to use more three-guard rotations and play, as DeChellis put it, “two forwards instead of a natural center.”
[/quote][/quote]

Gotcha. Ed did say that. I still see AJ playing til foul trouble, in 3G 2F setup. Also sounds like he’s not depending too much on Graham. Starting to feel better about the season. Those 1st two games are key, IU and UM away. Then it’s home vs. Purdue, MSU and Illinois. 5-0 would be heaven ;), 4-2 would be great, 3-2 decent, 2-3 or worse, not so great. IMO, 1st 2 give a real picture of the season. If you can’t beat those two on the road, who can you beat on the road?