Is the NCAA about to crack down on shady recruiting practices?

Apparently “Hoops” Weiss thinks so.

His column in today’s NY Daily News: Recruiting Restrictions Getting Tighter

“• Subscriptions to recruiting services with limited value”

Well that’s kind of open ended :slight_smile:

NCAA says they will start crack down as soon as " Pigs Fly." They claim all their personnel are busy on the Reggie Bush investigation. A preliminary report is due in January…2013 that is. Right now we have to believe the USC coaches when they say they can’t remember any player named Reggie. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d like the prep school links investigated. Some of these New England prep schools have had kids like Devin Ebanks(WVU), Mark Lyons(Xavier). Both these kids had very troubled HS careers. Ebanks was involved in violence which got him booted(Bishop Loughlin, I think), Lyons was suspended from Schenectady NY’s team a week before playoffs. I’d like to see where the money comes from to pay the tuition, room and board for these kids, which I think probably exceeds $30k per year in most cases. Oak Hill, Patterson, etc., should also be investigated. IMO, no question they are getting donations to fund attendance. It seems like it almost has to be related to college programs. Who else would pay these fees?

Great point. These prep schools are “SHADY” at best. But the issue goes deeper… to private HS schools in general. For years some athletes in western PA had received $20,000 and lower “free rides” at private schools. Stanard practice. I don’t have a problem with schools doing this provided they don’t play in a league and state play-offs with public schools. The private schools should have there own league…

I had a nephew who did a post grad year at Bridgton Academy, which expressly existed to get jocks ready for college. It was completely legit and they did a great job preparing him for college. So I am sure many of these are doing great jobs.

Where does Penn State get the money to give athletes a free ride? Isn’t it possible that prep schools have some wealthy grads that donate wads of cash to the schools? And maybe there is no connection to a university at all.

Bridgton and other preps may do a good job in many areas. BUT, I believe many preps are “rotten” when they “prepare athletes for college.” I think the biggest/most important “preparation” is being NCAA CLEARINGHOUSE illegible! Many/most/all of these athletes are only at the prep school because they either did not graduate HS or did not qualify as Clearinghouse eligible. Clearinghouse eligibilty is a combination of grades and SAT/ACT scores. With a year of good learning SAT/ACT can go up… SOME…BUT GRADES can go up a whole lot with a different set of GRADERS. Remember,whatever it takes.

[quote=“Tom, post:2, topic:129”]"• Subscriptions to recruiting services with limited value"

Well that’s kind of open ended :)[/quote]

LOL :smiley:

Answer: With money generated by the football program.

[quote="mjg, post:7, topic:129"][b]Where does Penn State get the money to give athletes a free ride?[/b] Isn't it possible that prep schools have some wealthy grads that donate wads of cash to the schools? And maybe there is no connection to a university at all.[/quote]

Answer: With money geneYrated by the football program.

But all made possible by NLC donations.

[quote="mjg, post:7, topic:129"][b]Where does Penn State get the money to give athletes a free ride?[/b] Isn't it possible that prep schools have some wealthy grads that donate wads of cash to the schools? And maybe there is no connection to a university at all.[/quote]

Well, the money from the games, and from the TV contracts, and from the bowl games is a pretty significant chunk of it, but certainly donations play a large role, too. I don’t know if prep school grads would make the same donations to their schools or not. It would be interesting to see where all the money comes from.

Well, the money from the games, and from the TV contracts, and from the bowl games is a pretty significant chunk of it, but certainly donations play a large role, too. I don’t know if prep school grads would make the same donations to their schools or not. It would be interesting to see where all the money comes from.

All scholarship monies (in ALL sports) are funded by Nittany Lion Club donations. None of the scholarship money comes from game day revenues, season tickets sales, TV contracts, bowl game revenue, etc.

All scholarship monies (in ALL sports) are funded by Nittany Lion Club donations. None of the scholarship money comes from game day revenues, season tickets sales, TV contracts, bowl game revenue, etc.

Wow, I guess, I have heard this before, BUT it has never made an impact in my thinking. This is quite a sweet deal for the university president, huh. Question Lar. Do you know how the university charges the NLC. Is it dollar for dollar? Is in state/out of state issue considered? What about room and board? Thanks, in advance.

Wow, I guess, I have heard this before, BUT it has never made an impact in my thinking. This is quite a sweet deal for the university president, huh. Question Lar. Do you know how the university charges the NLC. Is it dollar for dollar? Is in state/out of state issue considered? What about room and board? Thanks, in advance.

That’s a good question and I don’t know the answer to it (other than that room and board is included).

[quote="tundra, post:14, topic:129"]Wow, I guess, I have heard this before, BUT it has never made an impact in my thinking. This is quite a sweet deal for the university president, huh. Question Lar. Do you know how the university charges the NLC. Is it dollar for dollar? Is in state/out of state issue considered? What about room and board? Thanks, in advance.[/quote]

That’s a good question and I don’t know the answer to it (other than that room and board is included).

I would think it would be different for in-state vs out-of state. Don’t see how they could get away with NOT charging differently. Could make for some fun times with the sports that give partial schollies.

My understanding: The teams pay full freight depending on where they live, just like regular students. So when Pennsylvania has a down year, it costs the football team more because more of the athletes come from out of state.

I doubt it has any impact on our recruiting, but I can’t imagine the Temple coaches aren’t pressured (or at least feel pressure) to fill out the squad with PA kids.

At our 50th class reunion, Russ Rose commented on the cost of an out of state student versus an in state and it was double and he had to budget twice as much money. Anybody looking for a club speaker
Russ was great, very informal, but a super speaker.

PAP’58

I don’t know where the preps get the money, but this school is $41,000 per year. Someone is paying for at least some of these kids. Two of them are going to Vermont, and I don’t think Vermont is paying, as it’s just not a big enough program, but who knows. Kind of coincidental. Coach of Vermont was former assistant to Gary Williams at Maryland. The two kids going to Kansas and Oklahoma just have to be directed to this school, at least to get academic eligibility to attend those universities. So Brewster Academy schollies these kids because…? What the hell do they get out of it, a nationally ranked program? Why would they care about that? But if money’s tight, and if they bend admissions for students paying full fare to help with overall finances, what’s the hurt? If you look at tuition, they also charge extra for english as a second language (significantly), so they’re getting foreign students, who are also known to pay full fare. Absolutely no logical reason for alums to pay for basketball players. It’s not wealthy alums, and it’s not the school giving the schollie. What would be the motivation? it’s the need for these schools for full fare students. At $41,000 per kid, it’s gotta be hard to fill enrollment by parents’ footing these bills. But if they get $300k per year from a handful of schools, those schools get updates, phone calls, kids are referred to those schools, yada yada.

Mark Lyons of Schenectady, same year as Battle originally, went to a prep school in CT, didn’t work out, then went here. He’s at Xavier now. Why would Brewster take a kid who didn’t make it in CT prep school? Think maybe Xavier had something to do with working this out?

I don’t know much about the Freedom of Information Act, but it’d be quite revealing to find out how a school like this is funded.

http://www.brewsteracademy.org/RelId/610481/ISvars/default/The_Players.htm

I’ve heard JoePa and other PSU coaches reference the fact that the University charges the Athletic Department the cost of tuition, room & board and books (whatever an NCAA grant-in-aid covers), including the cost variation for in-state and out-of-state. Fortunately, the Nittany Lion Club raises enough money that I don’t think Penn State coaches are under much pressure to give schollies to Pennsylvania kids, but I bet this happens at some state-funded schools around the country, particularly in the non-revenue sports.

When a scholarship student-athlete moves off-campus into an apartment, does he/she receive the equivalent subsidy he or she would have received in the dorms and, if so, assuming that they can divvy the rent up so that the rent is less than the equivalent dorm room & board subsidy, can the student-athlete pocket the difference?