PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Is PSU the most difficult coaching job in the country?

Probably impossible to answer, but hopefully a good discussion point.

I say it’s top 5 in college hoops. But I’m curious to hear other opinions on that matter.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:1, topic:2408”]Probably impossible to answer, but hopefully a good discussion point.

I say it’s top 5 in college hoops. But I’m curious to hear other opinions on that matter.[/quote]
I think ED just left a very tough place to recruit, for one that is even tougher.

But his competition and expectations are going to be 100x easier at Navy.

No way. There are a lot of jobs where it is harder to win if you want to go from that angle. If you go from the expectations angle, it is a pretty easy job.

Okay, easy enough to say. Examples?

When your last 2 hires have been Jerry Dunn and Ed D. sure its going to be one of the toughest places to win. Go outside the psu coaching tree for once and spend some money and we’ll see how tough it really is.

In terms of difficulty recruiting/winning from BCS conferences at least these:
Texas Tech
Iowa State
Washington State
Stanford
Virginia Tech
Northwestern
Iowa
Marquette
Nebraska
Vanderbilt
Mississippi

There are way higher expectations at a lot (maybe even most) of mid majors though.

I think Northwestern is a very tough place to coach - very high academic standards and a basketball tradition that “rivals” ours. We’ve got another tough place to coach joining the league next year - Nebraska. No tradition and no natural recruiting base. One of my pals in high school got an offer from Nebraska - his only D-1 offer.

You should probably change the thread title to specify that you mean “major conference job” or else the question is a definitive “No.”

I was going to say the same thing. Those two jobs look worse to me, although expectations at NW might give it a slight edge over PSU!

lol okay, it’s a list. but how about some details to prove your point? What makes Iowa a tougher gig than Penn State as a coach? It pays more than PSU, right? Your in-state recruiting rivals are… ISU? And expectations are perhaps slightly higher than PSU, but it’s still primarily a wrestling and football school from an outside perspective.

I disagree. It’s all relative, and I think the biggest jobs in college (the major conference ones) come with the most pressure and expectations… and on top of that, are also the most difficult because you’re coaching against the toughest of your peers.

With no expectations…It’s a pretty easy job. If there were any…he would have been gone long ago

Ahem… no expectations? Funny, if that were true he would have gotten an extension after making the dance wouldn’t he?

That was from a hard to win perspective. I don’t think there is another major conference school with lower expectations. People always say PSU can’t get recruits because it is in the middle of nowhere. Have you ever been to Iowa? PSU has better geography than any of those except NW, Stanford and maybe Vanderbilt, which all have academic qualification issues. None of those schools have a great tradition that will really draw people there. Marquette is the closest to that and it is in the U.P. PSU facilities are above average and I think better than any of these.

[quote="noobd, post:9, topic:2408"]You should probably change the thread title to specify that you mean "major conference job" or else the question is a definitive "No."[/quote]

I disagree. It’s all relative, and I think the biggest jobs in college (the major conference ones) come with the most pressure and expectations… and on top of that, are also the most difficult because you’re coaching against the toughest of your peers.

If it really is just hardest place to win it is Cal Tech.

I think part of the answer to this question rests in the attitude of many PSU fans tonight. It’s amazing how much of the football fanbase (and even some around here) see this as a good thing. I look at the last three years and see a program that was heading in the right direction, but I guess a lot of people that that we’ll easily do better than Ed with this hire. Just going on the assumption of what we’ll be paying the next coach, I think that 95% of those that didn’t like Ed will be disappointed with the hire. However, maybe we’re going to have enough egg on our face from all of this that we’ll reach a little deeper and try to find some more $.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:11, topic:2408"]lol okay, it's a list. but how about some details to prove your point? What makes Iowa a tougher gig than Penn State as a coach? It pays more than PSU, right? Your in-state recruiting rivals are.... ISU? And expectations are perhaps slightly higher than PSU, but it's still primarily a wrestling and football school from an outside perspective.[/quote] That was from a hard to win perspective. I don't think there is another major conference school with lower expectations. People always say PSU can't get recruits because it is in the middle of nowhere. Have you ever been to Iowa? PSU has better geography than any of those except NW, Stanford and maybe Vanderbilt, which all have academic qualification issues. None of those schools have a great tradition that will really draw people there. Marquette is the closest to that and it is in the U.P. PSU facilities are above average and I think better than any of these.

A lot of people seem to think facilities here stink. And it’s not that we’re in the middle of nowhere, it’s that there are so many better local choices if you’re a high school athlete from PA.

While we have good location for the a-10, ACC, or big east, we have little to offer PA kids when we’re playing all of our road games in the mid-west. On top of that, there are about 10 other choices for kids to play at better basketball schools closer to home for any decent PA recruit.

But who do we get? If we were able to grab somebody good and pay them, chances are they are either already newly hired somewhere else or they wouldn’t want to come here given how bush-league the entire operation appears.

I think you’re absolutely right. All the people that bemoaned Ed for years now will never be happy because they aren’t dealing in reality.

This is a very interesting question - who do we get to take Ed’s place? We hired John Bach way back when as he was coming off some really good years at Fordham. Then we hired Dick Harter. Then we hired the local boy (Parkhill) and he was probably the most successful of all. JD was the default choice - good man, good assistant, bad HC. Then we brought Ed back.

After Bach and Harter left, they went on to long careers as assistants in the NBA, so they must know there stuff and have some people skills. The Parkhill departure was a tough one - I think we would have been a much better program for the past 15 years if he had stayed. JD -was immediately hired by WVU and then Michigan as an assistant. Clearly he must have some bona fide’s, too. My point is that we’ve gone with “hot” coaches; big names; and guys who enjoyed success after PSU.

So what’s the optimum path for the future?