PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Is Ohio now our recruiting territory?

In light of Staten’s commitment and past conversations about how we have no natural recruiting grounds is it safe to say Ohio is becoming fertile to Penn State?

We’ve gotten Melle, Danny, Lewis, and Staten; had Burke and Edwards, and are in the running for Crider. It sure seems like we’ve clawed our way to some turf there. Does anyone know how or who managed to do that?

Ohio State is taking the cream off the top, so there is room for major conference competition for the rest.

One potential benefit to this trend down the line is that these guys will probably play with a chip on their shoulders whenever going up against the Buckeyes. We’ll never be able to match their talent level (who does?), but the extra motivation of these guys who “weren’t good enough” for the home state school may help close the gap.

Not only is OSU taking the cream of the crop, but they are now a national recruiting outfit. And so with Ohio only having one other BCS-type school in Cincinnati (though Xavier is a solid program), it certainly leaves room for others to swoop in and grab under-the-radar guys (that’s under-the-radar for OSU that is, which ain’t so under-the-radar for most schools).

It’s not just great for PSU, but the entire Big Ten when OSU gets a commit from a kid like Shannon Scott from Milton, GA. That opens up kids like Burke and Lewis for others. Seeing that PSU would have zero chance of getting players like Scott from places around the nation, when he crashes the Midwest party, the Ohio kids have to look elsewhere for playing time.

Penn State doesn’t have that luxury in its own state with Pitt, Nova, Temple and the rest of the Big Five, Syracuse, Duke, UNC, etc, etc all coming in to take top players.

[quote=“byake, post:1, topic:2340”]In light of Staten’s commitment and past conversations about how we have no natural recruiting grounds is it safe to say Ohio is becoming fertile to Penn State?

We’ve gotten Melle, Danny, Lewis, and Staten; had Burke and Edwards, and are in the running for Crider. It sure seems like we’ve clawed our way to some turf there. Does anyone know how or who managed to do that?[/quote]

It’s been that way for a long while. Calvin Booth, Rob Summers, Brandon Cameron, DeForrest Riley-Smith, and Brandon Hassel were all also from Ohio.

Jagla played a year high school in Ohio as well.

Anyone know how Ohio compares nationally for D-1 basketball talent? They seem to do a pretty good job.

A lot of kids in Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, etc want to play in the Big Ten. Most kids in PA would rather play in the Big East, ACC, or Big Five. I’ll bet if you polled all the PA all state teams, you’d find Big Ten basketball pretty far down the priority list.

Therefore, taking the top kids in Ohio who don’t get an OSU offer is probably a really good strategy. OSU can only take three or four every year. If there are 10 - 15 D-1 kids in Ohio every year, we should be able to get some pretty good players.

[quote="byake, post:1, topic:2340"]In light of Staten's commitment and past conversations about how we have no natural recruiting grounds is it safe to say Ohio is becoming fertile to Penn State?

We’ve gotten Melle, Danny, Lewis, and Staten; had Burke and Edwards, and are in the running for Crider. It sure seems like we’ve clawed our way to some turf there. Does anyone know how or who managed to do that?[/quote]

It’s been that way for a long while. Calvin Booth, Rob Summers, Brandon Cameron, DeForrest Riley-Smith, and Brandon Hassel were all also from Ohio.

I forgot to add Hassel to the list but I was going for the number guys from Ohio have increased in recent years not. I realize we’ve had Ohio players before.

[quote="byake, post:1, topic:2340"]In light of Staten's commitment and past conversations about how we have no natural recruiting grounds is it safe to say Ohio is becoming fertile to Penn State?

I forgot to add Hassel to the list but I was going for the number guys from Ohio have increased in recent years not. I realize we’ve had Ohio players before.

And what I’m saying is that we’ve had a presence in Ohio for a long time. It’s nothing new. Jagla, Morrissey, Cornley, Summers, Cameron, Riley-Smith, and Hassell all came in from 2001-2005. So the number of guys has not increased.

I TOLD YA University Park was perfectly situated for recruiting!!!

So, tOSU’s rise to prominence has been a positive for PSU hoops and recruiting?

I was actually just starting to think about this recently. Like many of you have already pointed out most of the kids in Pennsylvania want to play in the Big East, ACC, or the other Big 5 schools. I wish we could have more of a presence in our own state, but that’s just how it is I guess. Ohio has some good talent, so I don’t see it as a problem with getting a lot of players from there. Since we’re in the Big 10 maybe our recruiting focus should be more focused in the Midwest.

I think it has been for some time. Our eastern kids are usually WAY under the radar.

The Big East, the ACC and the Big Five will remain the basketball venues of choice for Mid-Atlantic/Pennsylvania blue chippers until one of the following happens.

A. Penn State makes four or five consecutive trips to the NCAA Tournament.

B. A second eastern university with a good basketball program is added to Big Ten membership.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:15, topic:2340”]The Big East, the ACC and the Big Five will remain the basketball venues of choice for Mid-Atlantic/Pennsylvania blue chippers until one of the following happens.

A. Penn State makes four or five consecutive trips to the NCAA Tournament.

B. A second eastern university with a good basketball program is added to Big Ten membership. [/quote]

I agree completely. We have to be a national recruiter before we can be an eastern recruiter. (And by national, I mean someone who can compete for top talent, not national as in national search for overlooked talent).

It’s no accident that we are fighting it out with Iowa and Nebraska for some kids. That’s our level right now. When we are winning against Illinois and Michigan, then we are at the next level perception-wise (the numbers and stats don’t matter here).

OR…maybe…we just hire a HC who is a GOOD recruiter…(East coast, also)…We could of had Mike Rice a year ago for the same salary of ED or LESS.

I’m just shocked and stunned on the idea that a large NATIONALLY known University with a beautiful campus and BY FAR the best sports facilities and sports program in the east should not be able to recruit in the EAST…Shocked and Stunned… ???
Don’t they remember what Lavin said??

Yeah, that statement is not heavily biased… give me a break.

[quote=“tundra, post:17, topic:2340”]OR…maybe…we just hire a HC who is a GOOD recruiter…(East coast, also)…We could of had Mike Rice a year ago for the same salary of ED or LESS.

I’m just shocked and stunned on the idea that a large NATIONALLY known University with a beautiful campus and BY FAR the best sports facilities and sports program in the east should not be able to recruit in the EAST…Shocked and Stunned… ???
Don’t they remember what Lavin said?? [/quote]

If it’s that easy, why doesn’t everyone just go out and hire a “GOOD recruiter”?

[quote="tundra, post:17, topic:2340"]BY FAR the best sports facilities and sports program in the east[/quote] Yeah, that statement is not heavily biased... give me a break.

How is he wrong though?