Interesting Perspective

This column is about Al Skinner and BC, but I wanted to keep it out of the Coaching Carousel thread. I found the perspective interesting.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/gasper/2010/03/bc_out_of_place.html

Discuss.

I like Skinner. Always thought that he was a good fellow.
BUT, BC made Skinner RICH!! 13 years they employed him with large salaries.
If BC feels Skinner “sales job” was not working to their liking they are entitled to find another "Salesman."
It’s the nature of the job. It’s a huge RISK and huge REWARD job that has short term expectancy. Al knew that when he took the position.
If he wanted security, Al could probaly find a nice D3 job and spend the rest of his career at the same school making $50,000 a year.

I was just watching “Sports Center.” I think I heard them report that Skinner would be paid the full value of his remaining 3 years. To me, it looks like BC is giving Skinner a very good deal and rewarding him for his service.
Maybe, they are NOT an “evil empire.”

The bottom line is that BC belongs in the ACC as much as Penn State would belong in the PAC-10. It made some sense when Syracuse was going to be part of the ACC, but right now BC is just a northern outpost of the ACC. I’m sure the travel budgets for BC athletic teams are huge - at the same time when half the road trips for half the rest of the ACC are short bus rides. After some initial unexpected successes in the ACC, BC seems to be settling into a “middle of the pack” position.

[quote=“tundra, post:3, topic:1070”]I was just watching “Sports Center.” I think I heard them report that Skinner would be paid the full value of his remaining 3 years. To me, it looks like BC is giving Skinner a very good deal and rewarding him for his service.
Maybe, they are NOT an “evil empire.”[/quote]

Or maybe they are paying him what they are contractually obligated to.

Actually, it sounds like you are saying that BC belongs in the ACC as much as PSU belongs in the Big Ten. They are both directional outposts of the conference.

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:1070”]I like Skinner. Always thought that he was a good fellow.
BUT, BC made Skinner RICH!! 13 years they employed him with large salaries.
If BC feels Skinner “sales job” was not working to their liking they are entitled to find another "Salesman."
It’s the nature of the job. It’s a huge RISK and huge REWARD job that has short term expectancy. Al knew that when he took the position.
If he wanted security, Al could probaly find a nice D3 job and spend the rest of his career at the same school making $50,000 a year. [/quote]

With all that money, why doesn’t that dude ever get those chiclets in order. He has the worst set of teeth in professional sports. They look like something Billy Mays would peddle to strip old varnish off antique furniture.

Another great article on coaching: “It’s better to get fired for cheating than for losing.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/sports/ncaabasketball/01coaching.html?ref=sports

I could care less about BC’s travel budget. I am sure they considered the travel budget when they jumped to the AAC for money.
The travel issue for the student athletes is the tough part. Longer time away from home/classes.

[quote=“jyd, post:8, topic:1070”]Another great article on coaching: “It’s better to get fired for cheating than for losing.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/sports/ncaabasketball/01coaching.html?ref=sports[/quote]

So (bleeping) true.
:’(