Indiana Post Game

Just got back from the BJC. Here’s some notes for you guys:

-Talor Battle is the best player to ever come to Penn State. The kid leaves it all on the floor, and it’s a damn shame this is happening to him…he doesn’t deserve it.

-Everyone in the arena could tell that Andrew Jones is not a B10 caliber big man. As to whether he can be down the road, who knows. Right now however, he is not the answer at the 5. No scoring, silly fouls, getting pushed around under the basket.

-Chants of “Ott” coming from the student section while he was sitting on the bench. The numbers do not lie, Andrew Ott deserves the playing time.

-Speaking of the students…they came out in numbers again. No doubt the students are frustrated, but they’re showing up.

-Frazier is still making mistakes, but he looks like he is progressing. Consequently, Edwards is regressing. As is Brooks, Jones, Jackson. That foul on Jackson with 2:30 to go is inexcusable.

-Another close game, another loss. I thought we were supposed to be learning how to win these games?

-Say what you will, but it really looks like ED is losing this team. We did not lead the game once tonight. Not one single second.

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:1, topic:708”]Just got back from the BJC. Here’s some notes for you guys:

-Talor Battle is the best player to ever come to Penn State. The kid leaves it all on the floor, and it’s a damn shame this is happening to him…he doesn’t deserve it.

-Everyone in the arena could tell that Andrew Jones is not a B10 caliber big man. As to whether he can be down the road, who knows. Right now however, he is not the answer at the 5. No scoring, silly fouls, getting pushed around under the basket.

-Chants of “Ott” coming from the student section while he was sitting on the bench. The numbers do not lie, Andrew Ott deserves the playing time.

-Speaking of the students…they came out in numbers again. No doubt the students are frustrated, but they’re showing up.

-Frazier is still making mistakes, but he looks like he is progressing. Consequently, Edwards is regressing. As is Brooks, Jones, Jackson. That foul on Jackson with 2:30 to go is inexcusable.

-Another close game, another loss. I thought we were supposed to be learning how to win these games?

-Say what you will, but it really looks like ED is losing this team. We did not lead the game once tonight. Not one single second.[/quote]
So what’s worse? Never leading Indiana the whole game, or leading Michigan by oodles of points, only to blow it in the second half?

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:1, topic:708”]Just got back from the BJC. Here’s some notes for you guys:

-Say what you will, but it really looks like ED is losing this team. We did not lead the game once tonight. Not one single second.[/quote]
Bleed I don’t think that Ed lost the team. I do think Jones & Brooks are lost and I think they need to be benched. They make too many stupid mistakes when they are in there and they loaf. It is time to see what we got in Sasa.

I don’t know if Edwards is regressing, the kid is only a freshman, had a bum knee and now a busted finger.

I think now is the time to take a page out of Michigan’s playbook. Time to go small (4 guards) Talor, Frazier, Babb, Edwards and Ott. Reserves Camm and Highberger, and Sasa could spell Andrew. DJ, Jones and Brooks need to work harder plain and simple.

Just got back from the BJC. Here's some notes for you guys:

-Say what you will, but it really looks like ED is losing this team. We did not lead the game once tonight. Not one single second.

Bleed I don’t think that Ed lost the team. I do think Jones & Brooks are lost and I think they need to be benched. They make too many stupid mistakes when they are in there and they loaf. It is time to see what we got in Sasa.

I don’t know if Edwards is regressing, the kid is only a freshman, had a bum knee and now a busted finger.

I think now is the time to take a page out of Michigan’s playbook. Time to go small (4 guards) Talor, Frazier, Babb, Edwards and Ott. Reserves Camm and Highberger, and Sasa could spell Andrew. DJ, Jones and Brooks need to work harder plain and simple.

Why the need to criticize the players? No one needs to be calling any player stupid or lazy. >:(

[quote="BleedPSU, post:1, topic:708"]Just got back from the BJC. Here's some notes for you guys:

So what’s worse? Never leading Indiana the whole game, or leading Michigan by oodles of points, only to blow it in the second half?

I thought PSU was up 41-40 at one point.

Nope, Babb tied it with the front end but missed the back end and we never took the lead.

Ott played well. The team in general is playing very poorly. Not just Jones. Jones did not start nor get major minutes last night. It’s not all “his fault.” Jones is trying hard. Jones shot selection is fine! I think Ed has “lost” this team because he “puts up with” the terrible shot selection!
Here is a quote from Ed after the game:

I mean we just made some tough decisions, guys just get excited. We are 40-40 and launch a long three, that’s just not what we are looking for. In the heat of the moment guys pull it. You can tell them in the heat of the moment you can’t shoot it. You can’t get to them to tell them it’s not a good shot.

Ed knows the shot selection is terrible but he “puts up” with it! Stephan Bardo made a comment after one PSU player shot a long 3. He said something like “If he made that it would be subtraction by addition.” I don’t think Bardo realized that the shot he was talking about was one of this player’s “better” shot decisions over the course of the season.
A coach CAN teach slot selection!! A coach can enforce proper shot selection!! Bobby Knight would be playing walk-ons with this team. I’m serious. A few of our kids need to learn that if they shoot a crazy 30 footer they are going to sit and sit and sit and sit and sit and sit! Until they get the message! If you make a crazy turnover…you got it… MORE SITTING. At the end of the bench!

By the way our perimeter defense is poor also. In general, our perimeter players are playing “no better” than our big guys. Worst in many cases.

The student section cheering for Ott and giving the "sarcastic " cheer to Jones was surprising . Andrew and Jeff are just horrible right now. Neither can do anything and it looks like D Jackson is starting to slip back to their level. Right when you think David has turned a corner he starts playing poorly again. Not sure if anyone saw but there was a point in the game where Brooks grabbed a board half ass and got the ball knocked out of his hands , Talor proceeded to scream at him on the court and followed him into the huddle shouting at him . He even demonstrated on the way to the bench how Brooks should have grabbed the rebound. Until they give you something I completely agree that Brooks and Jones should not see the floor. Why is Sasa getting no minutes when we are 0-6 in the league? Is he another Milos? Did Ed whiff again? :-\

I was “OK” until last night. All the other losses the guys seemed to fight hard and hang in there. Last night the guys seemed to have the “deer in the headlights” look, and that wasn’t good. Seemed like we couldn’t get a stop down the stretch when we needed it, and when we needed a bucket, the guys chucked up 3’s. Sure, we missed more than our share of open looks, but there seemed to be little energy towards getting the ball inside (and sometimes when we did, the entry pass was at the guy’s feet!)

I don’t think it’s a matter of ED losing the team… I think they’re losing themselves. Outside of TB, there just wasn’t any confidence out there from anyone except Ott.

I also don’t understand why we didn’t press more the 2nd half. We did it on occasion, but I would have “emptied the barrels” on them. They clearly wanted to run clock and slow things down. We seemed to pick things up a 1/2 step when we did press. Why didn’t we do it more???

[quote="BleedPSU, post:1, topic:708"]Just got back from the BJC. Here's some notes for you guys:

Why the need to criticize the players? No one needs to be calling any player stupid or lazy. >:(

Captain, I don’t mean to criticize but I am sick of seeing/hearing the games and watching guys loaf getting up the floor. IN the second half of last night’s game I listened to Steve Jones describe a play that Talor had a breakaway but he was all alone, NONE of his teammates moved after he stole the ball. These guys are BETTER than we have seen, but for whatever reason they are not giving 100%, hell they aren’t giving 75%. As my coach used to say “STOP HALF ASSING IT!”

Tundra is right when he said that the coach can teach shot selection. He can also teach rebounding. Right after Brooks let that ball go out of bounds last night, poof gone to the bench. I am getting the feeling that Ed may be pulling a Hoosiers moment very soon, “My Team is on the Floor”. I am serious when I say I would start Talor, Ott and then a combo of walkons and freshmen. At least you would see effort.

You will not find a bigger PSU Hoops fan than me, but I am sick of praising some of our older guys when you can see they are just going through the motions. This kind of reminds me of the football team in 2004. We need a Goal Line Stand and we need it NOW!

Captain, I don’t mean to criticize but I am sick of seeing/hearing the games and watching guys loaf getting up the floor. IN the second half of last night’s game I listened to Steve Jones describe a play that Talor had a breakaway but he was all alone, NONE of his teammates moved after he stole the ball. These guys are BETTER than we have seen, but for whatever reason they are not giving 100%, hell they aren’t giving 75%. As my coach used to say "STOP HALF ASSING IT!"

Tundra is right when he said that the coach can teach shot selection. He can also teach rebounding. Right after Brooks let that ball go out of bounds last night, poof gone to the bench. I am getting the feeling that Ed may be pulling a Hoosiers moment very soon, “My Team is on the Floor”. I am serious when I say I would start Talor, Ott and then a combo of walkons and freshmen. At least you would see effort.

You will not find a bigger PSU Hoops fan than me, but I am sick of praising some of our older guys when you can see they are just going through the motions. This kind of reminds me of the football team in 2004. We need a Goal Line Stand and we need it NOW!

How about finding a PSU hoops fan more loyal than you. The team loses a few games and you are on here criticizing the players. Great show of support! ::slight_smile:

And since you brought it up, and seeing as how you aren’t the head coach, leave the supposed motivation to DeChellis, Preston, Kanaskie, and Earl.

[quote=“Captain Cranky, post:11, topic:708”]How about finding a PSU hoops fan more loyal than you. The team loses a few games and you are on here criticizing the players. Great show of support! ::slight_smile:

And since you brought it up, and seeing as how you aren’t the head coach, leave the supposed motivation to DeChellis, Preston, Kanaskie, and Earl.[/quote]

Wow. I can’t believe posts like this have migrated to the psu hoops board now.

This is a board where we discuss the status of the program and the people involved with it. That discussion includes the coaches and the players. Who are you to tell anyone else here what they should and shouldn’t be talking about?

::slight_smile:

How about finding a PSU hoops fan more loyal than you. The team loses a few games and you are on here criticizing the players. Great show of support! ::)

And since you brought it up, and seeing as how you aren’t the head coach, leave the supposed motivation to DeChellis, Preston, Kanaskie, and Earl.

This is a board where we discuss the status of the program and the people involved with it. That discussion includes the coaches and the players. Who are you to tell anyone else here what they should and shouldn’t be talking about?

Who are you to criticize the players and the coaches? These are 18-20 year old players who are out there busting their *** to play division 1 college basketball. They don’t need a bunch of fly-by-night pseudo fans cluttering up some forum yapping on about how they are unhappy why the team lost a few games! I can only hope they aren’t reading all of this. If they do, I can only hope they have the chance to give a strong piece of their mind to some of you for abandoning them this season.

[quote="Captain Cranky, post:11, topic:708"]How about finding a PSU hoops fan more loyal than you. The team loses a few games and you are on here criticizing the players. Great show of support! ::)

And since you brought it up, and seeing as how you aren’t the head coach, leave the supposed motivation to DeChellis, Preston, Kanaskie, and Earl.[/quote]

Who are you to criticize the players and the coaches? These are 18-20 year old players who are out there busting their *** to play division 1 college basketball. They don’t need a bunch of fly-by-night pseudo fans cluttering up some forum yapping on about how they are unhappy why the team lost a few games! I can only hope they aren’t reading all of this. If they do, I can only hope they have the chance to give a strong piece of their mind to some of you for abandoning them this season.

What does criticism have to do with abandoning? I, like most people who are members here, watch every game I can.

What makes you Mr. Superfan? I’ve been following PSU basketball since I stepped on campus 15 years ago, and I donate money to my university regularly. I have every right to be as critical as I like. My guess is there are lots of people here who have longer histories than that who are even more frustrated and critical than I want to be.

The fact of the matter is, it’s time to try something else with the program. The team, outside of Talor, looks like it quits in the middle of every game at this point. ED has never been a great game coach, and I’ve always been a big supporter of his. The fans, the students, the university and the players deserve more than we’re getting out of the hoops program.

If you don’t like what people here have to say, too bad.

[quote="Captain Cranky, post:11, topic:708"]How about finding a PSU hoops fan more loyal than you. The team loses a few games and you are on here criticizing the players. Great show of support! ::)

What does criticism have to do with abandoning? I, like most people who are members here, watch every game I can.

What makes you Mr. Superfan? I’ve been following PSU basketball since I stepped on campus 15 years ago, and I donate money to my university regularly. I have every right to be as critical as I like. My guess is there are lots of people here who have longer histories than that who are even more frustrated and critical than I want to be.

The fact of the matter is, it’s time to try something else with the program. The team, outside of Talor, looks like it quits in the middle of every game at this point. ED has never been a great game coach, and I’ve always been a big supporter of his. The fans, the students, the university and the players deserve more than we’re getting out of the hoops program.

Every right? Since when is it right to come on an internet forum and slam the players and the head coach just because they lost a few games? Just because you watch every game doesn’t make you a fan who still supports the team. Instead of rallying around this season, you have chosen to abandon the coaches and the players but not showing your support. Does criticizing 18-20 year olds give you some sort of excitement? A thrill? It is pathetic for someone to take shots at the players and the coaches in their time of need. I guess you also have the right to be a fair weather fan too.

What the players deserve are more fans who show their support, not pseudo fans like yourself who choose to bail ship 6 games into the Big Ten season and less than a year away from the NIT Championship!

Every right? Since when is it right to come on an internet forum and slam the players and the head coach just because they lost a few games? Just because you watch every game doesn’t make you a fan who still supports the team. Instead of rallying around this season, you have chosen to abandon the coaches and the players but not showing your support. Does criticizing 18-20 year olds give you some sort of excitement? A thrill? It is pathetic for someone to take shots at the players and the coaches in their time of need. I guess you also have the right to be a fair weather fan too.

What the players deserve are more fans who show their support, not pseudo fans like yourself who choose to bail ship 6 games into the Big Ten season and less than a year away from the NIT Championship!

First, this team has done far more than “just lost a few games.” 0-18 is a strong possibility. Second, I’m starting to question whether you’re even a real person. Your attitude seems a bit too overly-positive to be taken seriously.

First, this team has done far more than “just lost a few games.” 0-18 is a strong possibility. Second, I’m starting to question whether you’re even a real person. Your attitude seems a bit too overly-positive to be taken seriously.

This team has lost six games to be exact. They haven’t even come close to losing 18 games. Just like how Dave Jones had a knee-jerk reaction and wrote his trashy article against the team, the players and the coaches, you are having a knee jerk reaction and assuming this team loses all 18 games.

If you hate Ed DeChellis so much, why even cheer for this team? It’s obvious that you have an agenda that you will push at every opportunity, even fudging facts to support your own twisted opinions.

And I am positive about this team and these players because they deserve the support of the fans now even more than ever before. I have seen people like you come and go. Back when Jerry Dunn was winning NCAA games and made the Sweet 16, the town was all agog with the team. It took less than two years for fans to abandon the team then. This time around it is even worse. It has taken less than one full season for people to turn their back on a damn talented team and the Big Ten Coach of the Year. It is disgusting how fickle people can be and even more disgusting that most of you who are whining and crying about wanting DeChellis gone were probably screaming and yelling and proudly beating your chest during the run to the NIT Championship last season.

This team has lost six games to be exact. They haven’t even come close to losing 18 games. Just like how Dave Jones had a knee-jerk reaction and wrote his trashy article against the team, the players and the coaches, you are having a knee jerk reaction and assuming this team loses all 18 games.

If you hate Ed DeChellis so much, why even cheer for this team? It’s obvious that you have an agenda that you will push at every opportunity, even fudging facts to support your own twisted opinions.

And I am positive about this team and these players because they deserve the support of the fans now even more than ever before. I have seen people like you come and go. Back when Jerry Dunn was winning NCAA games and made the Sweet 16, the town was all agog with the team. It took less than two years for fans to abandon the team then. This time around it is even worse. It has taken less than one full season for people to turn their back on a damn talented team and the Big Ten Coach of the Year. It is disgusting how fickle people can be and even more disgusting that most of you who are whining and crying about wanting DeChellis gone were probably screaming and yelling and proudly beating your chest during the run to the NIT Championship last season.

First, I take offense at your suggestion I’m not a fan. I’ve watched almost every PSU game for over 25 years. My finest memory of PSU hoops is the 20 point comeback game against Miami in the NIT against big-man Popa. We stormed the floor afterward, and even though the game was during spring break, Rec Hall was going nuts.

Judging from the first 6 games, I wouldn’t call going 0-18 a remote possibility. I assume we lose at Wisky, both against MSU, Purdue, and Ohio State. That puts us at 0-13. I think the team, hopefully, splits with NW and wins one of Michigan, MN, Illinois. I think we’re headed to 2-16.

I’m a huge supporter of the team, I just don’t think ED is the right guy. As the majority of the board says (and now DJones) that doesn’t make me a crazy guy in left field. If anything, I’m now in the clear majority. Fans like me aren’t going anywhere. This is a problem that you can’t wish away with your delusional optimism. I’m sorry.

Also, you are completely wrong that this is a damn talented team - its not, and the record indicates that. If this was a damn-talented team, they wouldn’t be in this position.

As far as the ED to JD comparisons, you are right, a lot of people jumped off the JD bandwagon pretty early. However, JD’s apex, a sweet 16 berth and knocking off UNC, is far better than ED’s pinnacle accomplishment of last season. And Jones is right about the NIT - you overvalue it tremendously.

I’m sorry Cranky that you don’t like those who are negative to the program, but unfortunately, given the state, that’s where it is.

First, I take offense at your suggestion I’m not a fan. I’ve watched almost every PSU game for over 25 years. My finest memory of PSU hoops is the 20 point comeback game against Miami in the NIT against big-man Popa. We stormed the floor afterward, and even though the game was during spring break, Rec Hall was going nuts.

Judging from the first 6 games, I wouldn’t call going 0-18 a remote possibility. I assume we lose at Wisky, both against MSU, Purdue, and Ohio State. That puts us at 0-13. I think the team, hopefully, splits with NW and wins one of Michigan, MN, Illinois. I think we’re headed to 2-16.

I’m a huge supporter of the team, I just don’t think ED is the right guy. As the majority of the board says (and now DJones) that doesn’t make me a crazy guy in left field. If anything, I’m now in the clear majority. Fans like me aren’t going anywhere. This is a problem that you can’t wish away with your delusional optimism. I’m sorry.

Also, you are completely wrong that this is a damn talented team - its not, and the record indicates that. If this was a damn-talented team, they wouldn’t be in this position.

As far as the ED to JD comparisons, you are right, a lot of people jumped off the JD bandwagon pretty early. However, JD’s apex, a sweet 16 berth and knocking off UNC, is far better than ED’s pinnacle accomplishment of last season. And Jones is right about the NIT - you overvalue it tremendously.

I’m sorry Cranky that you don’t like those who are negative to the program, but unfortunately, given the state, that’s where it is.

Watching them play for 25 years does not make you a fan. Just because you once stormed the floor does not also make you a fan. A true fan does not abandon his or her team when times are difficult. You are likely to never understand that because you seem to be able to rationalize your lack of support as “common sense”. Then you convince yourself you are right in your condemnation of the players and the coaches just because there are other fickle people like yourself who jump ship at the first sign of difficulty.

You keep telling yourself that you are a fan and a supporter of Penn State Basketball. Those of us who choose to stick by this team in their times of trouble will remember who were TRUE BLUE (& WHITE) and who turned tail and ran away like spineless scared little mice.

[[/quote]
Watching them play for 25 years does not make you a fan. Just because you once stormed the floor does not also make you a fan. A true fan does not abandon his or her team when times are difficult. You are likely to never understand that because you seem to be able to rationalize your lack of support as “common sense”. Then you convince yourself you are right in your condemnation of the players and the coaches just because there are other fickle people like yourself who jump ship at the first sign of difficulty.

You keep telling yourself that you are a fan and a supporter of Penn State Basketball. Those of us who choose to stick by this team in their times of trouble will remember who were TRUE BLUE (& WHITE) and who turned tail and ran away like spineless scared little mice.
[/quote]

With all due respect, this is just absurd rationale.