Increased defensive role sparks Babb

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/11/increased_defensive_role_spark.aspx

Also, Lions inconsistent in halfcourt

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/11/lions_inconsistent_in_halfcour.aspx

I don’t think enough can be said of Babb’s effort on the defensive end. All the talk coming in to the Michigan game centered around the #1 and #2 scorers of the Big Ten facing off, yet we as viewers heard very little of #1’s name mentioned.

Babb will probably have to do similar work against DJ Richardson, who has been on fire from 3 for the Illini recently.

Didn’t realize Babb was 12 of his last 19 from beyond the arc (since Va Tech). My only question is why is he not shooting it more if he’s that dialed in. He’ll hopefully have that opportunity against the Illini.

In fact, I never thought I would say this (as much as I feel the 3 point line has destroyed the game of basketball), but I’m hoping PSU shoots more from the arc. In their 3 Big Ten games so far, the Nittany’s have scored 90 points in 97 attempts inside the arc vs 60 points in 51 attempts outside the arc. I’m sure there’s some UncleLar reasoning that can support this notion, but my feeling is we should see more of Babb/Woodyard/Battle and Frazier/DJ (who are both hitting on over 40% for the season) hoisting from three. Then again, did you know that Jones/Brooks/DJ are 30 of 53 from the field during Big Ten play. That’s a more than respectable 57%. OK enough of the numbers…my head is spinning.

Babb, indeed, should be commended for his "D work. He has played hard and well.
Got to disagree on one point Illini. I think the reason Babb is shooting better from the arc is that he has been shooting less. That is , more selective. Better quality open shots. He was really forcing things early in the year.
Now, if he can get MORE better quality open looks…

[quote=“tundra, post:3, topic:628”]Babb, indeed, should be commended for his "D work. He has played hard and well.
Got to disagree on one point Illini. I think the reason Babb is shooting better from the arc is that he has been shooting less. That is , more selective. Better quality open shots. He was really forcing things early in the year.
Now, if he can get MORE better quality open looks… [/quote]

Solid point tundra. I’ll give you that one. Doesn’t seem he’s passed up too many, if any, good looks in the three conference games.

I agree. There are many times where it doesn’t look like he’s really working to take a shot. He’ll stand 4 feet behind the 3 point line and then when he gets the ball he’s too far away to shoot.

I have this same problem with Brooks and Jackson. Why are you playing basketball if you don’t want to shoot???

When I coached my son’s team at the Y I would tell the kids to get used to me telling them to shoot. That we weren’t playing soccer. If they were open and close enough to the basket that I wanted them to shoot. No matter how bad they were or unlikely to make it. If you don’t shoot then the D doesn’t have to account for you. I see that way too much with Brooks and Jackson and sometimes with Babb.

[quote=“tundra, post:3, topic:628”]Babb, indeed, should be commended for his "D work. He has played hard and well.
Now, if he can get MORE better quality open looks… [/quote]

Actually, Babb is creating some of his 3’s, which is great but not easy to do. He’s been using screens to dribble by and take shots. Pringle did that last year, and Battle does it. This is really the first time Chris has done it. I think it was the Minny game he did one really nicely. Dribbling 3-4 times to use a screen and taking a 3 not so easy. Northwestern gets their good looks by running back door plays(which keeps the defense more honest and less aggressive) and playing a fair amount of high post with Mirkovic, get the ball to him and kick it out. If PSU did some of those two things, you’d see better looks and more shots. IMO, Chris has a great arc on his shot, and unreal range. I don’t know if any old timers remember John McGlocklin of the Milwaukee Bucks(and IU grad), but he could launch these bombs. Chris’s shot kind of reminds me of his. Here’s wikis take on McGlocklin. Now, if PSU could just get an inside option like he had… :wink:

Jon was best known for his high-arcing “rainbow” jump shot from the wings, in what would now be three-point territory. It was most effective when paired in a two-man play with Jabbar: if the opposing guard fell back to double-team Jabbar, Jon would make them pay from the perimeter; when the guard came out to defend him, he would pass the ball down to Jabbar with only one defender, who under most circumstances was out-matched.

I like the …under most circumstances part.

John “Moose” McGlockin…I think

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:2, topic:628"]Didn't realize Babb was 12 of his last 19 from beyond the arc (since Va Tech). My only question is why is he not shooting it more if he's that dialed in.[/quote] I agree. There are many times where it doesn't look like he's really working to take a shot. He'll stand 4 feet behind the 3 point line and then when he gets the ball he's too far away to shoot.

I have this same problem with Brooks and Jackson. Why are you playing basketball if you don’t want to shoot???

When I coached my son’s team at the Y I would tell the kids to get used to me telling them to shoot. That we weren’t playing soccer. If they were open and close enough to the basket that I wanted them to shoot. No matter how bad they were or unlikely to make it. If you don’t shoot then the D doesn’t have to account for you. I see that way too much with Brooks and Jackson and sometimes with Babb.

I think it’s the difficulty of creating your own shot that is the main reason you don’t see shots from DJ and Brooks. DJ’s better at it, but both struggle at it. It’s mostly handle that’s the issue. The only way you get good 3 looks without a good handle is by standing at the arc and getting a kickout. We don’t do that enough. Bobby Knight says the most important thing in playing defense is keeping your eye on the ball. When NU has Mirkovic at the high post and he gets the ball, think about what this does to defenders pressing the 3 point shooters. They have to turn, back up, collapse a bit, etc. How else can they see where the ball is? We don’t ever have a high post player back to the basket receive the ball. Ever. Low post that much either. Think about the position that player is in to make a good kickout to a player with a good look. Or the position he’s in to hit a cutter, which DJ and Brooks could certainly do, cut to the basket without the ball to receive a bounce pass and dunk it.

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:628"]Babb, indeed, should be commended for his "D work. He has played hard and well. Got to disagree on one point Illini. I think the reason Babb is shooting better from the arc is that he has been shooting less. That is , more selective. Better quality open shots. He was really forcing things early in the year. Now, if he can get MORE better quality open looks.................[/quote]

Actually, Babb is creating some of his 3’s, which is great but not easy to do. He’s been using screens to dribble by and take shots. Pringle did that last year, and Battle does it. This is really the first time Chris has done it. I think it was the Minny game he did one really nicely. Dribbling 3-4 times to use a screen and taking a 3 not so easy. Northwestern gets their good looks by running back door plays(which keeps the defense more honest and less aggressive) and playing a fair amount of high post with Mirkovic, get the ball to him and kick it out. If PSU did some of those two things, you’d see better looks and more shots. IMO, Chris has a great arc on his shot, and unreal range. I don’t know if any old timers remember John McGlocklin of the Milwaukee Bucks(and IU grad), but he could launch these bombs. Chris’s shot kind of reminds me of his. Here’s wikis take on McGlocklin. Now, if PSU could just get an inside option like he had… :wink:

Jon was best known for his high-arcing “rainbow” jump shot from the wings, in what would now be three-point territory. It was most effective when paired in a two-man play with Jabbar: if the opposing guard fell back to double-team Jabbar, Jon would make them pay from the perimeter; when the guard came out to defend him, he would pass the ball down to Jabbar with only one defender, who under most circumstances was out-matched.

It’s obvious you never saw Jon Crispin play or you never would have bothered with a reference to Jon McGlocklin (particularly since he’s not from NY).

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:628"]Babb, indeed, should be commended for his "D work. He has played hard and well. Got to disagree on one point Illini. I think the reason Babb is shooting better from the arc is that he has been shooting less. That is , more selective. Better quality open shots. He was really forcing things early in the year. Now, if he can get MORE better quality open looks.................[/quote]

It’s obvious you never saw Jon Crispin play or you never would have bothered with a reference to Jon McGlocklin (particularly since he’s not from NY).

No, I didn’t see Jon Crispin play. Does wikipedia have an entry about his high-arcing shot as well? :wink:

The only reason I comment on NYS HS players is because I see them play so I have first hand knowledge, and the ones I mention are good, e.g., Jonny Flynn, Kemba Walker, Kevin Jones, Taran Buie, and they don’t play in NY anymore. I saw McGlocklin play. He played more than 30 years ago, and I never saw anyone in the pros with such a high-arcing shot, and from such distance. Babb’s shot reminds me of him. Crispin shot further and higher than that? I believe you posted some videos, and while they weren’t the highest resolution, I didn’t notice.

My memory bank goes back to the mid/late seventies when I attended a Duquesne - University of Detroit game. Had great seats close to court side. Detroit was coached by Dickie Vitale. A guard named Terry Duerod had 40+ points shooting mostly the highest longest shots I had ever seen. He made a bundle of them. Remember NO 3 point line. Funny shot. A no spin type of knuckle ball. Duerod was a very good college player who went on to play several years in the NBA.