PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Incentive contract for WV coach

As per ESPN…

Dana Holgorsen’s deal full of bonuses

There's plenty of rewards for Holgorsen if he is successful.

Both Stewart and Holgorsen have $25,000 bonuses for nine-win seasons. For three straight seasons under Stewart, the Mountaineers finished 9-4 and failed to earn a Bowl Championship Series berth.

Holgorsen’s reward jumps to $100,000 for 10 wins, $125,000 for 11 wins and $200,000 for 12 wins. For reaching those plateaus, Stewart’s contract called for bonuses of $50,000, $75,000 and $100,000, respectively.

I agree with the initial idea of this. I think more coaches should have a contract based more on performance than simply a flat salary.

What I think may have been a mistake is having the incentives based on the number of wins. Perhaps I’m a bit jaded, but if you have a huge bonus for wins, what do you think the OOC schedule will look like in the coming years?

Have friends in Morgantown. Very unusual place. The “need” to win in football has become extreme. Basically the fans base will except “anything” as long as the “wins” come with it.
P.S. They LOVED DickRod before he signed with SCum. Don’t think Steward had the “personality” they wanted as HC. They loved Steward as the brains behind DickRod but not as HC. The fan base seems more comfortable with the BIG PERSONALITY type of HC.

BUT this could describe many/most big football fanbases.

I think bonuses should be along of the lines of “Conference Championships,” “BCS Appearances,” etc. for a program with PSU’s tradition. Nine wins could very easily be 9-3 (5-3) with wins over Akron, Youngstown and Temple (as alluded to by the first post).

More interesting to me is the Stewart situation. On ESPN today, they were saying “Bill Stewart loves the state of WVU so that’s why he’s coaching still.” I don’t know. Maybe he likes the money he can potentially earn. Where are players supposed to look for guidance? If Stewart isn’t happy, there’s serious potential for a split locker room.

When it is tied to wins, you get situations like this…

Texas Tech drops TCU in football

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:1841”]Have friends in Morgantown. Very unusual place. The “need” to win in football has become extreme. Basically the fans base will except “anything” as long as the “wins” come with it.
P.S. They LOVED DickRod before he signed with SCum. Don’t think Steward had the “personality” they wanted as HC. They loved Steward as the brains behind DickRod but not as HC. The fan base seems more comfortable with the BIG PERSONALITY type of HC.

BUT this could describe many/most big football fanbases. [/quote]

I think Bobby Bowden started there as HC. Saw that in the “We Are Marshall” movie. In fact, he petitioned for Marshall to allow freshmen to play the next season after their plane crash. I think that was the beginning of freshmen playing varsity, though not certain.

Have friends in Morgantown. Very unusual place. The "need" to win in football has become extreme. Basically the fans base will except "anything" as long as the "wins" come with it. P.S. They LOVED DickRod before he signed with SCum. Don't think Steward had the "personality" they wanted as HC. They loved Steward as the brains behind DickRod but not as HC. The fan base seems more comfortable with the [b]BIG PERSONALITY [/b] type of HC.

BUT this could describe many/most big football fanbases.

I think Bobby Bowden started there as HC. Saw that in the “We Are Marshall” movie. In fact, he petitioned for Marshall to allow freshmen to play the next season after their plane crash. I think that was the beginning of freshmen playing varsity, though not certain.

Because you are a late comer to PSU sports fandom, we will excuse you for not knowing that it was Howard, nee Samford, where Bobby Bowden started coaching. No self respecting PSU football fan counts Bowden’s wins there though even if the NCAA does. ;D

[quote="kidcoyote, post:5, topic:1841"]I think Bobby Bowden started there as HC. Saw that in the "We Are Marshall" movie. In fact, he petitioned for Marshall to allow freshmen to play the next season after their plane crash. I think that was the beginning of freshmen playing varsity, though not certain.[/quote]

Because you are a late comer to PSU sports fandom, we will excuse you for not knowing that it was Howard, nee Samford, where Bobby Bowden started coaching. No self respecting PSU football fan counts Bowden’s wins there though even if the NCAA does. ;D

Just so you understand where PSU fans are coming from. Here’s Bowden’s wins at Samford. Hard to believe some of those games can count, isn’t it?

1. Samford 14 – at Maryville 0
  2. Samford 20 – at Sewanee 0
  3. Samford 34 – Tennessee Tech Freshman 0
  4. Samford 26 – Millsaps 0
  5. Samford 14 – at Tennessee-Martin 0
  6. Samford 16 – Rhoads 0
  7. Samford 24 – West Alabama 0
  8. Samford 20 – at Troy 19
  9. Samford 52 – at Gordon Junior College 20

10. Samford 14 – Maryville 0
11. Samford 56 – Sewanee 0
12. Samford 41 – at Georgetown (KY) 0
13. Samford 42 – at Millsaps 0
14. Samford 28 – Delta State 14
15. Samford 22 – at West Alabama 6
16. Samford 26 – at Rhodes 0
17. Samford 48 – at Troy 14

18. Samford 60 – at Memphis NAS 0
19. Samford 64 – Georgetown (KY) 6
20. Samford 16 – at Wofford 13
21. Samford 20 – Delta State 14
22. Samford 18 – at Carson-Newman 7
23. Samford 34 – Rhodes 0
24. Samford 80 – at Troy 0

25. Samford 22 – at UT Chattanooga 12
26. Samford 40 – University of Mexico 0
27. Samford 14 – at Louisiana College 12
28. Samford 14 – at Furman 7
29. Samford 47 – Carson-Newman 0
30. Samford 21 – Mississippi College 3
31. Samford 34 – Wofford 28

Tenn Tech Freshman is a national powerhouse, I’m not sure how you can knock them… ::slight_smile:

Lar, have to agree looking at those scores. I did mean to say he was at WVU prior to FL State, not necessarily his first job. My bad. It was interesting how they portrayed it. It’s been a few years, but I think he helped the Marshall coach in another way. Maybe teaching him his offense, something like that. Then I think he petitioned for freshmen to be able to play in Marshall’s case, as they had no players, or almost none the next year, just sophs. True or not, I don’t know. It was a movie. If true, it probably was instrumental in getting freshmen to play varsity, but I don’t know.