PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

In praise of Myreon Jones

Be exciting if he’s taken the step forward that it seems he has in the first few games.

3 Likes

We now completely understand why he is called “buckets” ;-). He can really fill up a stat sheet in a hurry.

Btw, what’s up with the title spelling Myreon incorrectly? Is that an official PSU channel? That’s a bad look.

6 Likes

I’ve said it before here, I think the best thing that ever happened to MJ at PSU was Bolton leaving.

5 Likes

MJ was one of those 3*/4* tweeners in recruitment. The guy has a lot of ability

3 Likes

He’s a all B1G player now.

1 Like

Kid ends up scoring 15 a night and goes stretches where he does not even shoot for 8-10 minutes at a clip. Wait until he starts to find more ways to get open, and it is going to be very exciting.

2 Likes

Lamar is Lamar, Mike is Mike (sometimes), but MJ has been easily the most pleasant surprise of the season. We had no rational basis to expect the impact player he’s become this year. Without him, I have a hard time believing we would be making a serious run at the NCAA tournament. And, best of all, I think he still has plenty of upside.

7 Likes

His 3-point shooting is great but I really appreciate how he will take the ball to the hoop in a flash if he sees an opening. He also knows how to stop and pop if he’s cut off.

2 Likes

I love his mid-range game, would love to see more of it (and plays designed for it). It might be the best we’ve had since DeRon right now.

1 Like

Pringle’s stop and pop was pretty dangerous, too

1 Like

Once you pop with Pringle, you can’t stop

2 Likes

I owe Myreon and apology. Before the season, when he was being discussed as a “back-up” point guard, I said that I didn’t see it. Well, he sure is a helluva lot more than that. I’m very happy for Myreon and glad that he proved me wrong.

5 Likes

Said this in a game thread earlier this year. Our ceiling is determined by how well Myreon can run PnR in tight games. It’s not sexy, but it prevents those soul crushing possessions where we isolate Lamar and he jab steps for 15 seconds before taking a contested long 2.

He’s been really good and I’m happy he’s around for a few more years.

5 Likes

There have been very few of them this year. Don’t make me fork out $$$ for Synergy. :slight_smile:

There have been more than there should be. We’ve still had some of the usual “dry spells” that have been killer (some of which didn’t include the Lamar forced 2’s because he’s been on the pine with foul trouble). Some games, someone like MJ or CuJo steps up and nails some 3’s and we win anyway… and some games we don’t.

After the Minny game, that was the first time I really noticed that that lack of a true PG hurt us in terms of running the offense when times got tough. I think they’re grooming MJ to pick some of that up, but it’s a steep learning process. I think his ability to effectively pick up the PG duties down the stretch could be the difference in us getting over the bubble vs a double-bye in the BTT.

1 Like

Kind of seems that way to me too but it’s been ameliorated by Stevens making many challenged long 2s. He’s shooting 52% overall from inside the arc.

I think it’s fair to say we still struggle offensively at times. Cujo bailed us out the other night, no doubt about it. Michigan also couldn’t make a shot.

Jerardi was critical of psu taking way too many jump shots in the first half and not getting to the rim.

We still go through dry spells because no one can consistently break their defender down off the dribble. We struggle to penetrate and collapse the defense. Myreon has been a tremendous shooter and he doesn’t turn the ball over, but he also doesn’t get to the rim very often. Would Ra have given us that if he didn’t leave? Maybe. Jamari/Myles certainly can’t. CuJo had some nice drives to the rim but that opened up because he hit his first three threes versus UM.

2 Likes

Jamari can, but hes so afraid to shoot that it’s a liability. He needs to at least put up a runner from time to time instead of driving into the lane and getting stuck.