PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

I'm sad.........Soccer post

I was just watching a BigTen12 soccer match between IU and Wisc. on the BTN. At the half hour point of the 2nd half they stopped the match for a TV TIMEOUT! Seems like standard procedure.
It’s the first TV timeout I can remember seeing in any soccer match. :frowning: I have seem timeouts for safety reasons due to extreme heat.

Does the MSL have TV Timeouts??

Why should this surprise you? I think that TV timeouts have been allowed in college soccer for a few years now. Look at how television coverage changed volleyball. If a sport wants TV exposure, than you need to make concessions or get sponsorship to pay for commercial free coverage. I’ve become used to them while watching on TV, but they still bug the hell out of me when watching an event live. I don’t know how players put up with it.

Don’t think professional soccer is going to go this route, but also might be why it’s never going to take off in America either. I personally love the fact that soccer doesn’t have all these commercial breaks and stoppage of play… after watching so much this summer with the world cup on everyday, it was a shock to the system to have american football come back on and have these constant breaks in the action - from the time NOT playing between each play, to the commercial breaks 12 times a quarter… making most football games 3.5-4 hours in entirety…

If that means I have to have logos adorning the field and every player’s jersey like he’s a nascar - so be it. That’s a much better idea to me than this constant stop and go of most American sports in my opinion. Even college basketball could do with a few less timeouts - make it every 5 instead of every 4. Although at least most of these games still finish in under 2 hours. That’s becoming my attention span anymore for most sports, about 2 hours exactly.

During a few Red Bulls games I have seen them flash commercials in the middle of play… Luckily the game is on 2 channels at once (MSG) so I just switch during the commercial to bypass it.

I’ve never seen this in the EPL or CL.

The questions are:
When is enough enough?
What is a Fair profit?
When do commerical breaks "effect and/or change the GAME?

Soccer is played on a very large field and the “endurance factor” has always been paramount in the game. The commerical break has thus “changed the game.” Doesn’t the 15 minute half-time allow for enough commericals??

What about basketball? Does the timeout every 5 minutes “change the game?” I think so! It allows the coach to play some players very extreme minutes (see Talor Battle.) It also allows a coach to “save” his timeouts for end game. In the past a coach had the chose… Take a timeout(s) early when he thinks he needs a break OR save it to end game. NOW coaches always SAVE their timeouts for endgames. The last minute of many games now have 5-6 timeouts!

When does this “commerical stuff” stop. During track meets to they STOP the long distance races for a commerical break and then resume running?? When is enough - enough??

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:1379”]I was just watching a BigTen12 soccer match between IU and Wisc. on the BTN. At the half hour point of the 2nd half they stopped the match for a TV TIMEOUT! Seems like standard procedure.
It’s the first TV timeout I can remember seeing in any soccer match. :frowning: I have seem timeouts for safety reasons due to extreme heat.

Does the MSL have TV Timeouts?? [/quote]

tundra, i’m not joking when i say this, but you absolutely are a hero for bringing it up. A real american hero. You speak up for those who do not have the voice to speak up. any rule that stop a soccer game during a match is a breach of the natural law of soccer. there are no timeouts in soccer and only 3 substitutions. a soccer half can only be paused or ended by the referee, the official timekeeper, not television. That is why there are no commercials while a soccer game is underway. America’s TV / media inspired soccer rules are not better than the official soccer rules.

All sports like college football should be closer to a continuous clock like soccer. In the 1990s before mass commercialization college football was more like soccer. there were no TV timeouts and after a punt the offense would run on the field without having to wait 5 minutes. during the world cup, the news was less about who won and more about talk of how instant replay was needed to “fix” the world cup. immediately after the world cup, there were talk of eliminating draws from the world cup. these are unfortunately mostly american ideas. America is a great place with some great smart people. But America is not better than the international rules of soccer, consisting of two 45 minute halves, and if necessary 30 minutes of extra time with no sudden death. golden goal is not better than playing a full 30 minutes. these rules are the international rules. and if any of soccer’s current rules change internationally, it will be the end of soccer as we know it. we have to stop the problem in america before the greedy try to sell it to the rest of the world as better. we’ve seen it happen in american football and in the NBA.

If it weren’t for TV timeouts, you certainly wouldn’t be seeing every PSU hoops game, every PSU football game, and select PSU soccer/volleyball/wrestling matches. Commericals pay for the broadcast. Get rid of TV timeouts, and you’ll go back to the days of having a couple of football or basketball games on each week, since those would be the only ones that could make enough $ to make it sensible to put them on TV.

It amazes me the things that people complain about. The BTN is probably already losing money on putting those soccer games on TV (since they are probably spending more on production costs than they’re getting in advertising $ from a very limited audience). Move it to the point where the only commericals are during halftime, and they’d certainly be losing $.

College soccer is a different game than international soccer. They allow free flowing substitutions, so the whole players getting tired angle certainly isn’t as big of a deal since you can just sub them.

The World Cup didn’t have timeouts, did they?

Why can’t they just put tranparent ads in the corner of the screen? I know at one point, they were experimenting with putting computer generated ads on the field for those viewing at home, similar to the first down line in football.

BTW… I don’t think that the ability to braodcast the games is dependant to that degree on the amount of advertising. There is some much money flooding the football landscape that less advertising would only mean some people would not be uber-rich, only mega-rich. The games would still make money, so the games would still be on TV.

OK, I understand commercial breaks more in PRO sports… they’re in it for the profits. The colleges are supposed to be “non profit” but the revenue pressure is so great, that there are as many ad in college sports as there are in the pros, or at least it feels that way. Well, maybe not quite football. I can’t even watch the NFL anymore because of all the commercials. they NEVER miss a chance to get a 30 second spot in, do they??

Also, a while back Dave Jones made a great point that the TV breaks in the NCAA tourney are a tad longer than the regular season. Hence, the underdogs don’t have to go quite as deep as their top 5 get more rest than in a regualr season game. It helps keep the underdog with fresh legs going against “mega-state U”.

I can remember non-TV games in Rec hall with 7:30 start times, and they would end well before 9:30. Not anymore. Now, thwy start at 8 and don’t end until after 10:00. That 45 min makes a difference when driving back to Harrisburg.

Is that why volleyball has gone to rally scoring? I still think rally scoring adds way too much luck to the sport.

That’s part of it. Rally scoring leads to a more consistent length game which, while certainly more favorable to TV, is also considered more fan friendly because you have a better idea of how long a match will take and can plan around it.

You would think so, but the odd thing is that Penn State just had the longest winning streak in WVB history, as well as 3 consecutive Championships.

If luck plays into it more now than it did before, you would think that the opposite would happen. Winning streaks would be shorter and B2B championships would be harder.

The World Cup didn't have timeouts, did they?

Why can’t they just put tranparent ads in the corner of the screen? I know at one point, they were experimenting with putting computer generated ads on the field for those viewing at home, similar to the first down line in football.

I think comparing World Cup broadcasts to NCAA broadcasts is a moot point. The gap in available $$$ is just too great.

[quote="Tom, post:10, topic:1379"]Is that why volleyball has gone to rally scoring? I still think rally scoring adds way too much luck to the sport.[/quote]

That’s part of it. Rally scoring leads to a more consistent length game which, while certainly more favorable to TV, is also considered more fan friendly because you have a better idea of how long a match will take and can plan around it.

It was much worse when they had rally scoring for televised games and traditional scoring for non-televised games. I’ve adapted to rally scoring, but I still can’t get used to the Libero, especially with women’s volleyball where she can serve sometimes, but not others. Can’t keep it straight.

[quote="Skeeza, post:8, topic:1379"]The World Cup didn't have timeouts, did they?

Why can’t they just put tranparent ads in the corner of the screen? I know at one point, they were experimenting with putting computer generated ads on the field for those viewing at home, similar to the first down line in football.[/quote]

I think comparing World Cup broadcasts to NCAA broadcasts is a moot point. The gap in available $$$ is just too great.

Right, much like the NFL, the $$$$ gap would have MORE commercials being aired for the World Cup. They stop the NFL and CFB for a commercial every few minutes, not high school football. You would think that with Millions and millions on the line with World Cup, they would be the ones stopping for those multi-million dollar spots.

I like watching HS football. On Demand in Pittsburgh has a local game and a state (PCN) game each week.
The games are super fast. Lack of commercials GREATLY increase the viewing pleasure!! Plus with “recorded” games you can fast forward.

Do you really think that the BigTen network has the $$$ for fancy sidebar commercials for soccer coverage? The money available to produce World Cup soccer is insane. Also, the size of the audience is so large that advertisers will make concessions. Do you really think that a company like Pepsi is going to pay to advertise for a BigTen soccer game and be relegated to a small scrolling banner ad or one or two during halftime? They could get more bang for their buck by running a regular ads on a Friday night rerun of Lake Placid on the SyFy channel.

FIFA and the major soccer leagues held their ground and kept their traditional game structure. They have also had the advantage of having the upper hand with their popularity. The NFL had to had to milk every gimmick out of television in order to grow their sport from the 1950s on. The NFL was not always the most popular sport in town. The game already had the structure of multiple timeouts, as did basketball & baseball.

[quote=“noobd, post:4, topic:1379”]During a few Red Bulls games I have seen them flash commercials in the middle of play… Luckily the game is on 2 channels at once (MSG) so I just switch during the commercial to bypass it.

I’ve never seen this in the EPL or CL.[/quote]

I’m a Red Bulls season ticket holder, and I’ve never seen a game cut away for commercials. Not a home game, nor an away game. They do cut away for the “Red Bulls in 60” replay they do at night, but only then have I ever seen commercials during a match. The MLS doesn’t allow its clubs (or their tv providers) to cut away from the match during the run of play. It’s a league wide thing too since 2006.

Side note: Red Bulls for the cup this year.