PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Illinois/NW game not on TV?

I thought this was a CBS game, but I have the St. John’s/UCLA game here.

I’d be a bit peeves if I was an ILL/NW fan on the east coast.

I’m getting it in State College.

Not in the Baltimore market.

CBSsports.com is webcasting it for free

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/cbk-live

Illinois not looking good at all.

Go Cats! Sorry NittanyIllini! :slight_smile:

Illinois starting to settle in now.

Strange finish to this first half.

Illinois somehow gets the refs to go back and look at tape to retroactively call an intentional foul (which fired up NW more than Ill)

Now NU gets fouled on a jumper at the buzzer.

Thankfully it’s sunny and going up to near 50 in Atlanta today. So we’re not homebound, having to watch this game on computer. It’s amazing that with the BTN/ESPN, this is the only way (CBS split national) that one can miss any Big Ten basketball game across the nation. And even then, it’s streamed. I love America :slight_smile:

Watching NU play makes winning tomorrow even more crucial.

NU wins, 71-70. Illinois never led.

I was kind o hoping Illinois would pull out the victory. It would have made our win against them more impressive from a resume standpoint. Plus now Northwestern is gaining some confidence and ground on us in the Big Ten race.

As good as the Illini looked against PSU, I truly feel that if Brooks had not injured himself, that PSU would have been in the game till the end.

PSU was down 29-14 when they went on a 14-4 run to cut it to 33-28 with just under 2:00 to play in the first half. Eerily similar to how they played at Purdue and home vs Wisconsin and Iowa (all “wins”). At that point, Brooks goes down. Game over.

Speaks volumes about The Big Ten that all the 7-11 preseason poll teams have looked really good over the past week or two…Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Penn State and now NW have all had success against the upper echelon. Though I ask, how good is Illinois and MSU, since they have been the main victims of the teams listed.

I just don’t buy Illinois. I think McCamey is one of the most overrated players in the country and they play about as soft as any team in this league, despite being the biggest team in the nation.

I guess it works for them most nights, but I’d be pretty let down by how they look if I were an Illini fan this year… … they just seem to barely survive against 90% of average teams. With the big 3 seniors they have, you think they would show some of that last-ditch grit that a team like PSU was showing during the month of January… I wonder if it’s ever going to click for them in that way.

I hear ya bballguy. I’m just takin it one game at a time. With the NU win PSU stays tied in 4th place in the B10 standings today.

I think Bruce’s seat is going to be hot if Illinois doesn’t make the big dance with all that talent.

You’re not kidding.

In their last six games, the Illini have lost four, including at Indy and at NW. The two games they won were at home vs MSU, who can’t get themselves out of a paper bag right now and PSU, who lost their 2nd best player and had to endure a 5 hour bus ride to the game.

Miss the tourney, it sure is a sign that Weber might just not have what it takes. He did bring Bill Self’s team to the title game. But Deron Williams “coached” that team to the title game. Possibly the best player to lace em up in the Big Ten during that decade (he or Evan Turner…don’t even give me Oden or Gordon).

McCamey gets all the accolades because he leads the Big Ten and is among the leaders in the nation in assists. But when you run with a team of jump shooters, who have never met a drive to the hoop that they like, that will happen. I’ve seen him make nice plays, then turn around and make a bone-headed pass or take a questionable shot.

That 04-05 Illinois team may have been my favorite non-PSU team ever. Deron Williams, Dee Brown, Luther Head, Roger Powell Jr. and James Augustine - interestingly they barely played a 7-man rotation and only Powell was a senior. I will say the Deron Williams on that team (who was massively overshadowed by Dee Brown) was nowhere near the Deron Williams that plays today. A little heavier, not quite as quick, nowhere near as explosive and rarely looked to go 1-on-1, but easily one of the best starting 5’s in the past decade.

I liked Weber, I always thought he was a good college coach (if not a great tactition) who related well to his players. When he reeled in Brandon Paul and Jeremy Richmond in back-to-back years I never thought people would be talking about his job security so soon, but I guess their success has seemed to diminish the past 3-4 years.

I will say the Deron Williams on that team (who was massively overshadowed by Dee Brown) was nowhere near the Deron Williams that plays today. A little heavier, not quite as quick, nowhere near as explosive and rarely looked to go 1-on-1, but easily one of the best starting 5's in the past decade.

Yeah, I have to say he’s one of the most surprising college to NBA guys I can ever remember seeing. I think at the time I would have put him 3rd of the 3 guards on that team in terms of how their pro careers would wind up, and he’s clearly, far-and-away 1st now… one of the best PG’s in the NBA.

I guess the NBA people knew what they were doing, drafting him 3rd overall… But at the time it had to seem like a bit of a reach considering the guy averaged 12 points a game. He did have almost 7 assists per game, but with the guys he had around him I guess I just chalked it up to them being a great team and he was benefiting solely from that.