PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

IGT vs. Maryland 2019, 7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 10, ESPN2

KenPom’s FanMatch game of the day:

Maryland favored by 1 on KenPom. Penn State favored by 2.1 on T-Rank.

1 Like

Noticed today that all the general admission seating was dropped from $18 to $14.

1 Like

I’m projecting a nice game from Myles tomorrow night (and a win by Penn State, of course).

1 Like

Penn State plays well against the 4th ranked team in the country this decade… PSU is 2-2 against 4th ranked teams this decade. Going 2-0 at home!

I am predicting a Penn State win, mainly due to Maryland’s subpar performance against Illinois. I’ll give PSU a 68-64 win over Maryland. I’ll predict this will be PSU’s largest crowd of the season yet around 7700-8000 people. Mainly due to the ranking of the opponent, the overall 7-2 record, and that Maryland’s fan base travels and will most likely account for about 400-500 fans (I’m being conservative) in the arena imo since they’ve brought bigger crowds and they weren’t as good as they are now.

I remember in 2014-15 when they played at PSU for the first time as a Big Ten opponent. I remember seeing Sections 101L/101, 102L/102, and 103L/103 as a seas of Black, Red, and Gold shirts. Hoping that doesn’t happen again.

With bad weather approaching they may be doing this to try and entice people to come out. Most of the seats available now are not at center court which also makes sense.

Is this a stay away game for you or is there a value play here?

3 Likes

Bad weather? The forecast is just for a cloudy day tomorrow in SC with a passing shower.

I’ll be taking the 2 hour drive from Pittsburgh for this one. Reaves Texas Legends jersey on my back. Hoping it makes national TV on the court tomorrow night after the big win. Go Freakin State

5 Likes

Check the forecast. Many of the people in Southeast PA who would be needed to help fill the lower bowl could get caught in winter weather on the drive back. I for one am taking the risk. But I know of many others choosing to stay home.

Well here is the forecast for Philly and it sure does not look scary at all tomorrow to me. I live in Harrisburg and it is a similar forecast here.

You are correct that tomorrow during the day is fine. However, closer towards midnight southeast PA is expected to get snow and mixed winter weather. It’s a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from State College to Media, PA and if the game ends at 9 we should be fine. The “fair weather” fans are the ones who’ll find any excuse not to go and the weather could be a reason for some parts of the state.

1 Like

I want to hear what @UncleLar thinks but barring crazy things happening I think as long as the students fill in their circled sections and the BJC sells the tickets available in the other open sections we see a 7700+ crowd. I’d also say 80% of the seats already shown as “filled” are actually filled.

Personally I don’t think we will get the student numbers needed but that’s the climb we are on for this Maryland game.

Watching ticketmaster… if I see something I like I’ll make it. If not, ah well. I’m spontaneous.

1 Like

Vegas opens Maryland -1

3 Likes

Darn fair weather fans. Always concerned about the weather!

1 Like

Last year Dread made 3 of his first 4 3-point shots at PSU to help lead PSU to a 42-20 halftime lead vs. Maryland. He was very active throughout the game, finishing with 17 points, and I recall thinking he was probably pumped playing against many of his former high school rivals. Hopefully that mindset kicks in again Tuesday night.

1 Like

Also driving a pretty long distance for this one. 2 1/2 hours from Allentown. I hope to meet you and a few hundred other fans on the court after the final buzzer sounds!

3 Likes

Wischusen and Dakich on the call for ESPN2. Wischusen did play by play for the NIT finals a couple years ago and Dakich has been putting praise on PSU for years. Should help with national exposure if we hang in the game (and gasp win).

1 Like