PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

IGT @ Rutgers 2020, 7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 7 (BTN)

Important game.

Less than 500 tickets left, according to Rutgers’ Facebook page.

Issues:

• Quick turnaround after a physically and emotionally draining game
  • Rutgers likes to beat Penn State
  • Rutgers is playing well and will likely have a full house in a band box gymnasium

Possible pluses:

• It’s the second game after losing a critical piece, and the first-game-after adrenaline might be gone
  • Mike hasn’t had two sub-par games in a row this season, I don’t think, and he remained engaged even though he wasn’t getting it done yesterday.

Etc.

3 Likes

On 247, someone said the team is staying on the road instead of coming back to State College.

3 Likes

They bussed to New Brunswick right after the game.

6 Likes

Penn State 75 Rutgers 70

Very, VERY good decision.

4 Likes

Yeah, I saw they were there almost before dark too

Heat at Palestra will probably take a toll physically but limited minutes played by Mike and Lamar might pay dividends in this game.

3 Likes

Rutgers is a consensus favorite in analytics sites, 2-3 points.

Can’t find one where Penn State is favored. Let’s see what happens in Vegas tomorrow night.

2 Likes

Rutgers best not be fooled by their Nebraska result. The Geo Baker loss is a significant 2-3 pt hit for them. Key injuries can take a game or two to trickle into the results. Baker had the highest court time for them and as other player’s minutes and usage ticks up so will inefficiency. A high-volume/low eFG chucker named Jacob Young will be getting the biggest minutes up-tick from this and if I’m Pat I challenge him to beat me. Mike has another tough matchup with Myles Johnson, he’s been very, very good but he’s no Garza.

I suspect Rutgers will be slight favorite, should be closer to a pick 'em with Baker out IMO. That being said, this is easily their best team in the past 45 years, they will be bringing it.

2 Likes

Pressure, pressure, pressure is the key to this game. Generate turnovers from kids not used to handling the ball this much and we’ll be sitting pretty.

3 Likes

If we can get them to play an up and down game I like our chances.

It’s been a little less than 45 years…

2 Likes

This team is wayyyy better than that one.
The 1998-99 team that went 9-9 in the Big East was better than the 89 team. The A-10 was even a bigger ■■■■ kicker conference back then vs now. West Virginia went 17-1 in conference, good enough for a 7 seed.

Their high water mark will always be their 1976 Final Four team that went 31-2. They had three guys play in the NBA from that team.

2 Likes
1 Like

Bunches left/available on Vivid.

1 Like

You really can find anything on Youtube!!! This was my first hoops roadtrip as a student. What a blast, even though we lost.
And please, if they stop at Panera, get the bagels pre-sliced!!!

1 Like

Penn State leads the all-time series with Rutgers 42-32. Depending on what happens this year it could go from 44-32 to 42-34 depending on if either team sweeps in the series.

Rutgers opened as high as -2.5 but has quickly settled in to -1.

2 Likes

If RU wins, are we now worthy for an opponent’s fans to storm the court?! Small victories, even if it’s a loss :wink:

1 Like