PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

If JoePa retires tomorrow

Not trying to start a fire ED thread, just speculation and conversation.

If JoePa decides this is his final year as head coach, do you think Curley would then not only try to get another big name football coach, but a big name hoops coach? I would think the $$$ issue would be in play, but I think with JoePa out, that would give some top hoops coaching candidates to think twice of coming to Penn State. But that’s only if Curley and Spanier deviate from getting a coach with Penn State ties. But looking at the hires in other sports like men’s soccer and field hockey, we’re starting to hire successful coaches with no ties to the school.

I’m thinking if JoePa retires and the hoops team struggles, we might have two new coaches to welcome Nebraska into the Big Ten.

[quote=“H-Town Lion, post:1, topic:1330”]Not trying to start a fire ED thread, just speculation and conversation.

If JoePa decides this is his final year as head coach, do you think Curley would then not only try to get another big name football coach, but a big name hoops coach? I would think the $$$ issue would be in play, but I think with JoePa out, that would give some top hoops coaching candidates to think twice of coming to Penn State. But that’s only if Curley and Spanier deviate from getting a coach with Penn State ties. But looking at the hires in other sports like men’s soccer and field hockey, we’re starting to hire successful coaches with no ties to the school.

I’m thinking if JoePa retires and the hoops team struggles, we might have two new coaches to welcome Nebraska into the Big Ten.[/quote]
I see the situations as being very different. I don’t think Curley will have much of an impact on the football coach hiring.
Basketball - - - - - who knows…the whole basketball situation is bizarre. Now Curley and Eddie seem “joined at the hip.” …who knows…BUT, there are people available out there who could turn the hoop program around…it is NOT impossible.

Curley has been unfairly criticized for hiring only people with Penn State pedigrees. The percentage of former players and coaches in the Athletic Department is typical of what you’ll find at other colleges.

That said, the Penn State Football program is one where I believe you can count on JoePa’s successor being someone from the Penn State “family” (current or former assistant). Paterno will have some influence on the selection, and I believe some prominent football alums will chime in too, so the next head coach will be someone who understands and will perpetuate the “brand” that JoePa has built and cherishes. Penn State Football leads the family-oriented philosophy of Penn State Athletics, and I’ll be shocked if it doesn’t prevail when it comes time to hire JoePa’s successor. Look for Tom Bradley or Al Golden. Both are far better coaches today than JoePa is at almost 84.

With regard to DeChellis’s speculative successor, there are no really credible candidates with Penn State pedigrees. If this coming season isn’t good enough for DeChellis to retain his job, I’ll be hoping Curley takes a long look at Richmond’s Chris Mooney.

If anything, were Joepa to no longer be a coach, I think that would cause so much activity within the AD’s department that they would delay any coaching move in hoops until the football stuff gets settled.

not to rock the boat, just because other schools do it, does not make it an unfair criticism. calling the BigMac unhealthy is not an unfair criticism just because the Whopper has more calories and fat.

I’m pretty sure that the next football head coach will be Jay, Bradley, or someone else from within.

Say PSU BBall has a sub .500 season, and JoePA decides to retire… does that make it more or less likely that ED will get axed? I say… probably more? The marketing department could try and hype up the arrival of two new coaches in the two most profitable (?) collegiate sport venues.

I could also see JoePA’s retirement being used as a shield / diversion for nothing to be done about ED.

I don’t think they’d have any effect on each other. For one thing they would most likely occur at different times barring a serious medical situation. JoePa retiring would probably occur right after the season or over the summer. ED would be fired in early March. Most likely one would be hired before the other position even came open.

I will bet every dollar I make, from today until the day I die, that Jay will not be the next head coach. Will not happen.

Bradley is very likely…but it’s also very possible Spanier and Curley will want to make a “signature hire.”

[quote="noobd, post:6, topic:1330"][b]I'm pretty sure that the next football head coach will be Jay[/b], Bradley, or someone else from within.[/quote]

I will bet every dollar I make, from today until the day I die, that Jay will not be the next head coach. Will not happen.

Bradley is very likely…but it’s also very possible Spanier and Curley will want to make a "signature hire."

Possible, but less likely after what happened at Michigan. Bradley would be the safe pick; I don’t think they go outside of Bradley, Golden, or Schiano. I guess it depends on what you consider a “signature hire.”

I think if the situation happens where Joepa retires and Coach DeChellis is fired/moved to another position within the Athletic Dept. I think the basketball coach gets a HUGE break. Nobody is going to give two flying turds what he does his first two years, but everyone will be watching to see that the Football team doesn’t pull a Michigan.

This is a strong possibility.

Not sure if JoePa’s retirement will help or hurt the MBB program when it happens. Certainly if the football program tanks in the post-Paterno era and the Athletic Department starts bleeding red as a result, that won’t be good for men’s basketball. And Joe has helped recruit some of our better basketball players and has shown up to visibly support the program at key moments.

On the other hand, Joe has made sure that everyone understands that Penn State is a “football school.” (He criticized Syracuse’s decision to stick with the Big East 30 years ago as befitting a “basketball school.”) That understanding is manifest in the AD’s media and budget priorities. (It just makes sense to feed your cash cow.) And when Joe is gone from the scene, there will be room for a MBB coach with a BIG ego and a big media profile, which there isn’t now. Even in his senescence, Joe casts a large shadow and other coaches know that you don’t cross swords with the czar of University Park.

So, while Joe is likely sincere in his desire to see MBB succeed, when he’s gone, there will be a better chance for MBB to become #1A among Penn State sports, as opposed to a solid (stolid?) #2, at best. In fact, Curley may be thinking that when Joe’s gone, Penn State will need a high-profile, rock star MBB coach (or, a guy with the personality and coaching chops to become such) to keep Penn State in the sports headlines.

By the time Joe retires, basketball hoops may float suspended in midair and referees may be robots on wheels. Think the Jetsons. Basketball may be very different. Maybe we can literally build our own coach? Let’s just hope that Curley isn’t in charge of the building committee.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:12, topic:1330”]Not sure if JoePa’s retirement will help or hurt the MBB program when it happens. Certainly if the football program tanks in the post-Paterno era and the Athletic Department starts bleeding red as a result, that won’t be good for men’s basketball. And Joe has helped recruit some of our better basketball players and has shown up to visibly support the program at key moments.

On the other hand, Joe has made sure that everyone understands that Penn State is a “football school.” (He criticized Syracuse’s decision to stick with the Big East 30 years ago as befitting a “basketball school.”) That understanding is manifest in the AD’s media and budget priorities. (It just makes sense to feed your cash cow.) And when Joe is gone from the scene, there will be room for a MBB coach with a BIG ego and a big media profile, which there isn’t now. Even in his senescence, Joe casts a large shadow and other coaches know that you don’t cross swords with the czar of University Park.

So, while Joe is likely sincere in his desire to see MBB succeed, when he’s gone, there will be a better chance for MBB to become #1A among Penn State sports, as opposed to a solid (stolid?) #2, at best. In fact, Curley may be thinking that when Joe’s gone, Penn State will need a high-profile, rock star MBB coach (or, a guy with the personality and coaching chops to become such) to keep Penn State in the sports headlines. [/quote]

Statements and projections like these always have me scratching my head.

To say that JoePa is in ANY WAY harmful to the basketball is laughable !!!

To think that hiring a football outside of the PSU family will help the hoops program is laughable as well. You guys really are not paying attention to what is going on and the decisions that have been made by the athletic department.