PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

I Like This Team

This team has impressed me. They seem to react well to adversity. Lose to Maine…come back and win at Indiana on the road. Lose to Michigan/Purdue. Come back to beat MSU and Illinois. Outscored 12-2 at OSU to begin the 2nd half, going down 44-34, come back to take the lead.

There’s a calmness about this team knowing that despite being down to the de facto #1 team in the nation, they were able to hold things together and get themselves in a position to win the game.

PSU only lost that game on the scoreboard yesterday (which certainly is the only thing that matters in the eyes of the college basketball world - RPI and the like). But they proved once again that this is not the “same old Penn State” team. And while asking them to beat JuJuan Johnson and E’Twaun Moore on their home floor is a tall task, it’s good to know that they will not go into West Lafayette on Wednesday thinking defeat is inevitable.

Thank you ED, Talor and the rest for giving us this thrill ride.

I’m hoping some students took notice and will come out in full force for these guys when they return home. I miss the days of a lively BJC, it really is such a fun experience when the building gets rocking. And this team is proving they deserve to play to that.

I said very early in the season that I thought this team could beat anyone, and they could lose to anyone. It just depended on if they showed up and played to their capabilities.

I think…the defense was been much better since we started played a zone part-time. It seems to slow the game down also. We still have a long way to go. There will still be a couple of BIG ebbs and flows along the way.
One more thing…is it possible the BIGTEN101010 was/is over rated. Purdue just lost to WVU. I know tO$U may be #1 but they don’t seem to be nearly as good as Duke and ~itt. Maybe several others also.

It is not only possible that they are overrated, they ARE overrated. That’s why we have such a good chance of winning and winning and making it to the NCAA tournament. Frankly looking at the team right now and then comparing us to the other teams in our conference, I would be surprised if we didn’t make it.

I agree on the overrated, but they do have multiple weapons. Two good shooters from the arc, a tough presence inside, and Buford and Lighty? Tough squad. But they haven’t been blowing anybody out, and that 19 point line was ridiculous. They certainly haven’t been anybody that amount recently.

The conference is still tough, but I feel better about beating NW, UM at home and Minny at home, but we need to pick up a couple more. OSU at home? :wink: That’d be huge.

[quote="bballguy, post:5, topic:1791"]It is not only possible that they are overrated, they ARE overrated. That's why we have such a good chance of winning and winning and making it to the NCAA tournament. Frankly looking at the team right now and then comparing us to the other teams in our conference, I would be surprised if we didn't make it.[/quote]

I agree on the overrated, but they do have multiple weapons. Two good shooters from the arc, a tough presence inside, and Buford and Lighty? Tough squad. But they haven’t been blowing anybody out, and that 19 point line was ridiculous. They certainly haven’t been anybody that amount recently.

The conference is still tough, but I feel better about beating NW, UM at home and Minny at home, but we need to pick up a couple more. OSU at home? :wink: That’d be huge.

Not sure if The Big Ten teams are overrated. The teams just know each other so well. The coaching is superb across the board. So that’s going to lend itself to close games that will be decided by 19/20 year old kids. Oh BTW, Iowa is only trailing Minny by two in the second half at The Barn. That would be the Top 25 Gophers against this year’s “doormat” in the Big Ten.

And quite frankly, I don’t believe it matters if The Big Ten is overrated or not, Penn State is legit. What other teams have the size and experience that is playing at such a high level. PSU might lack the difference makers in the paint, such as the JJ’s (Sullinger and Johnson), but they can and will match up against most of the teams in the league from here on out.