PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

I know it's really early, but

I’m looking forward to seeing Lewis working with Frazier.

As for the rest, who knows? I don’t know enough about any of them to make a judgment, so I prefer to let it play out. The vultures are circling, but I’d also point out that Ed’s record is 1 dance, 2 NIT’s (1 Title) and a miserable record over 8 years. It’s hard to annoint him the next Dean Smith despite the exciting end to the season…but I’ll give him a pass. Moving forward the biggest thing he has to do to show he’s a good coach is keep the team intact. We’re gonna have a losing season next year (likely), but we’ll get back in contention the following year if we have another solid recruiting effort and we manage to keep the team together.

IF Ed does that, I’ll put up with the growing pains…

To put it nicely, it’ll be a rebuilding/transition year. There is absolutely no experience up front. How are 3 freshmen, 2 guys who have seen limited minutes (Oliver, Sasa) and Graham going to match up against the Big Ten? I don’t have much faith there.

As for the back court, Frazier was very impressive the second half of this season, but defenses will be zoned in on him with Brooks and Battle gone. I feel that Lewis and Travis will be good players, but I’m not sure how much the can provide next year.

I’m hopeful and excited to see how all the young players develop, but as for W/L’s…

Ackerman said he was 215, but his pic (assuming it was recent) suggests that figure was quite generous.

Which picture are you looking at? The one on the matrix?

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Article/Ackerman-intently-watching-Lions-18526

OK, from his jersey, that’d have been from last summer.

[quote="Tom, post:19, topic:2208"]Ackerman said he was 215, but his pic (assuming it was recent) suggests that figure was quite generous.[/quote]

Which picture are you looking at? The one on the matrix?

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Article/Ackerman-intently-watching-Lions-18526

OK, from his jersey, that’d have been from last summer.

Oh wow. You weren’t kidding. He does look very, very thin. But it’s all good. A full year of hitting the weight room hard should do the trick…

AP article today with some Earl quotes regarding next season:

http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/view/story/4dc73881dac4419ea348b203669d2429/BKC–Penn-State-Wrapup/

[quote=“pennst92, post:21, topic:2208”]I’m looking forward to seeing Lewis working with Frazier.

As for the rest, who knows? I don’t know enough about any of them to make a judgment, so I prefer to let it play out. The vultures are circling, but I’d also point out that Ed’s record is 1 dance, 2 NIT’s (1 Title) and a miserable record over 8 years. It’s hard to annoint him the next Dean Smith despite the exciting end to the season…but I’ll give him a pass. Moving forward the biggest thing he has to do to show he’s a good coach is keep the team intact. We’re gonna have a losing season next year (likely), but we’ll get back in contention the following year if we have another solid recruiting effort and we manage to keep the team together.

IF Ed does that, I’ll put up with the growing pains…[/quote]

I think Ed has definitely earned himself another season, maybe two.

Now I keep hearing great things about Lewis, but I haven’t seen any footage of him yet. What part of his game stands out the most?

I’m really not expecting much from the team next year. We are losing a lot, the team will be young, so you really don’t know what to expect. I just want to see the team improve as the year goes on. I’m hoping we can be good 2 seasons from now. Hopefully the incoming freshman will give us good minutes.

I’m excited for next season mostly because I haven’t seen a PSU team with so many 6’8"+ guys for a while. All are frosh or sophs next year, too.

I hope all of them develop to at least minimum Andrew Jones skill level. If one makes 2nd team all Big Ten or a couple are all Big Ten freshman team we’ll be back in business quickly.

I’m hoping Billy and Travis get plenty of time at small forward.

Thanks for the inside scoop.

It’d be nice to see Billy get to play a more natural position.

[quote="PSUClassof2011, post:16, topic:2208"]Talor Battle isn't walking through that door, fans. Jeff Brooks is not walking through that door.[/quote] Thanks for the inside scoop.

I was trying to be witty. I should have quoted the person I was sort of responding to.

If you look at this year’s starters versus next year’s projected starters, you get some interesting results:

Point Guard:

This year: Frazier Next year: Frazier Analysis: This will be Tim’s team. I expect he will run, run, run.

Shooting Guard:

This year: Battle Next year: Marshall or Bowman Analysis: Can’t replace All Big Ten guard; but Marshall and Bowman are bigger. I don’t think Buie will be back.

Power Forward:

This year: Brooks Next year: Graham Analysis: Brooks had a great year; Graham is just as tall but is a bigger body. He may be a young Jeff Brooks. It will take a while, but I think he’ll be a solid contributor.

Small Forward:

This year: Jackson Next year: Sasa or Oliver or Cam Analysis: It will be hard to replace DJ’s experience, but both Sasa and Oliver are bigger. Cam has a nice stroke and should feel more inclined to shoot next year.

Forward/Center:

This year: Jones Next year: Alexis or Ackerman Analysis: Alexis is bigger than Andrew and reportedly has good hands. Also scores more in HS than Andrew did. He’ll struggle early, but may have greater upside.

Other new guys: I expect Lewis and Travis will redshirt.

JUCOs: I think we’re still after a couple JUCO’s who can give us some help inside.

Overall analysis: Our starters will be bigger. Tim will be the team leader. We’ll have to find some scorers. We’ll struggle early, but I think we’ll be solid by the end of the year.

Ed needs to play 9 guys double figure minutes next season. Beyond Frazier we should see guys rotating regularly at each of the other four spots. As long as we see progression throughout the season I’ll be happy regardless of the W/L’s.

Random thoughts on next year:

DeChellis bought himself 2 more years.

I’m hoping Frazier forces teams to respect him a little more 21 feet from the bucket. If he does that, he could be All-B10 next season.

Marshall had his moments, but he will be asked to take a BIG leap forward in all areas of his game. Hey, Darius Morris didn’t play that much as a freshman and look what he’s doing as a sophomore, it could happen.

Bowman was interesting in the few minutes he got. He makes things happen; not always good things, but you know he’s going to try to do something, and I like that.

Cam has proven over 3 years what he is-a super solid guy that can come off the bench and provide decent play. Nothing more, nothing less. (Prove me wrong, Cam!)

From the few clips that I’ve seen on Travis and Lewis, I am intrigued. Lewis looks like he can be that shooter that stretches defenses. Travis is the most intriguing for me, a dynamic 6-8 guy with some handle and a midrange game. I see neither redshirting. It is my opinion that in order for PSU to be any good at least one of these two will have to play and hold their own.

Oliver’s shot got worse as the year went on. I hope he finds it. It looks to me like he’s more of a DJ 3/4 type player and shouldn’t be asked to guard other teams’ fives very often.

The bigs? Who knows. Graham and Sasa are unproven and it looks to me like the other 2 recruits are Ott-type players, one of which will take a redshirt.

If Buie does indeed leave, perhaps DeChellis will have enough recruiting momentum to fill that open schollie on an impact player for next year.

Ahhh, what position would that be?

As of right now, I doubt either will. Lewis is going to be the backup PG, basically what Frazier was his freshman season. Don’t think Travis will redshirt either, although he is more likely, assuming hes not a diamond in the rough.

Speaking of Ross Travis, here are some highlights from one of his team’s game this season (courtesy of Max Preps)

He is no 43. He also gets interviewed briefly at the end on what his post game ritual is…

http://video.maxpreps.com/video/MkcZLX91Z0ubZ4bYkBNvAw/high-school/EsqoTLVzdka9lrI1B09Pmg/basketball/waconia-wildcats/chaska,-mn-vs-waconia,-mn—atg.htm

[quote=“bleedinblue, post:37, topic:2208”]Speaking of Ross Travis, here are some highlights from one of his team’s game this season (courtesy of Max Preps)

He is no 43. He also gets interviewed briefly at the end on what his post game ritual is…

http://video.maxpreps.com/video/MkcZLX91Z0ubZ4bYkBNvAw/high-school/EsqoTLVzdka9lrI1B09Pmg/basketball/waconia-wildcats/chaska,-mn-vs-waconia,-mn—atg.htm

The guy talking over that film needs to find another job[/quote]

Is there a highlight video anywhere of Tim’s pass through Fernandez’s legs? I didn’t catch it when it happened.

I think anything above .500 has to be considered good for next year’s team. If they can just avoid a disaster like last year, hopefully they can build some momentum and have a good 2012-13.