PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

I know it's really early, but

Is there anyone else who is feeling pretty good about next season? I know we’ve got a long wait ahead of us, but I’m pretty excited about our situation, to be honest.

Thanks to the leadership of our five seniors, we finally got a chance to show what we can do on a national stage, and there’s reason to believe that that could help us with recruiting.

Timmy has really made a lot of progress in his first two years, and the kid looks like he has what it takes to be an all-conference player.

Jermaine showed us flashes of what he can do, and I certainly was impressed.

We’ve got two 6’11 recruits coming in next year, and one of them (probably Alexis) will be playing right away. How often does that happen for us?

According to the article that was posted before, Graham is ready to roll next year. Plus, we’ll have Sasa back from his injury assuming his rehabilitation goes as planned. We’re actually going to have some depth on our front line, which is awesome.

I’m actually looking forward to next year, although it will be a little tough seeing a PSU team on the floor w/o the likes of Talor, DJ, AJ, Jeff and Steve.

No…Other than Frazier (who is not a scorer but more a distributor) nobody on this team has any crunch time experience. Nobody on this team that I have seen has the capability to make their own shot like Battle and Brooks and Ed’s offense is not one that is very good at creating shots. Yes, Marshall and Woodyard saw some time this year, but playing 5-8 minutes per game and knowing you are only in their because of foul trouble or to come out as soon as the starter got there breather is not much experience. It is not like Woodyard or Marshall really had a set rotation or role that they played, it was more of a stopgap type playtime.

Next year is going to be ugly, only hope that it isn’t real ugly and the team shows improvement over the year.

It’s never too early to discuss next year…as long as this year is finished, which unfortunately it is.

I have the same feeling you do, Spades (and not you Cletus)

The pressure should be off of ED to coach to win games and instead he will hopefully look to coach to build a winner. He’ll have a lot of parts to do just that and not just four guys who he pretty much has to ride to keep his job. (However knowing ED, he’ll again settle on seven for his rotation, which I feel would be a mistake…See Jeff Brooks shoulder)

With the pressure off the team a little, they’ll be playing looser and might just show us all something.

I do like the fact that Timmy will be running things. A good point guard can really bring a young team along very quickly.

I hope ED has to use the line “Talor Battle is no longer here” several times, so that guys step up and contribute not waiting for the ghost of Talor to appear to make a shot.

And one more thing…except for Michigan and Indiana, every other team will be losing a ton of their main cogs. So it will be a transition year for almost the entire Big Ten.

Should be a fun year with little expectation but hopefully a lot of surprises.

That may be the case but PSU will still be fighting it out with Iowa and Northwestern for the last 3 positions in the conference. (I am assuming Nebraska is better than all 3 teams which may not be true.) I do not think anyone should expect anything different in terms of the W/L record.

The things to watch out for will be whether each of the players in the rotation is improving and whether the team as a whole is playing consistently better basketball as the season progresses.

I think we’ll have some talented players next year. It’s tough to replace a player the caliber of Bubby. And it’s impossible to replace the experience of the 4 starters we lose with what we have coming back. I feel we will struggle some, but will get it rolling by the end of the year. Timmy is just starting to show how good he can be. Hopefully he takes another big step next year. Marshall will need to step up his scoring and defense. If Sasa comes back healthy and Graham is the beast therealtruth was telling us about, we’ll be fine inside. We’ll need Travis or Lewis (hopefully both) to come in and provide some scoring right away. I don’t expect that we’ll be as good as this past season. But I think in two years we’ll be in the dance again. ED has proven he can coach.

Whoever PSU only plays once next year, bet on them being the worst two teams in the conference :slight_smile:

The roster we had yesterday struggled last year when it lost Cornely. Struggled to score and find leadership. Now we lose 5 seniors and the offensive motor and we’re supposed to expect that things will going swimingly. I’m not trying to be negative, but lets be real here.

I enjoy watching new players. That’s why I when to watch a couple days of early season practice for many years while we were in Rec Hall. Also my favorite game of the season was the Blue/White game.
Next year looks like a whole lot of “new guy watching.” I think it may be a year to scope out players and not worry (to much any way) about wins or losses.

Anyone want to take a shot at what the starting five will look like next year? I think the only spot that is locked up is Frazier at PG.

Is there a team in the country that loses as much from the boxscore as this team does?

I can’t wait for next year, but I expect it to be tough. But a lot of guys are going to get a chance to prove they can compete in the Big Ten. I hope a few rise to the occasion.

Well, I didn’t say anything about wins/losses or making the tournament. All I’m saying is that I think we have a lot to look forward to. I think next year’s squad will be fun to watch because of all the fresh, young talent we’re going to be seeing out there. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us go .500 for the season (depending on what our finalized OOC schedule ends up looking like), but I certainly don’t expect anything like what we saw this season.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:3, topic:2208”]It’s never too early to discuss next year…as long as this year is finished, which unfortunately it is.

I have the same feeling you do, Spades (and not you Cletus)

The pressure should be off of ED to coach to win games and instead he will hopefully look to coach to build a winner. He’ll have a lot of parts to do just that and not just four guys who he pretty much has to ride to keep his job. (However knowing ED, he’ll again settle on seven for his rotation, which I feel would be a mistake…See Jeff Brooks shoulder)

With the pressure off the team a little, they’ll be playing looser and might just show us all something.

I do like the fact that Timmy will be running things. A good point guard can really bring a young team along very quickly.

I hope ED has to use the line “Talor Battle is no longer here” several times, so that guys step up and contribute not waiting for the ghost of Talor to appear to make a shot.

And one more thing…except for Michigan and Indiana, every other team will be losing a ton of their main cogs. So it will be a transition year for almost the entire Big Ten.

Should be a fun year with little expectation but hopefully a lot of surprises.[/quote]

Exactly. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t be happy about going through another “transition.” But this time around, we’ve got a solid young group of guys who bring some things to the table that make me hopeful for this team. I’m especially anxious to see what Graham and Marshall can do.

Assuming he’s fully healthy, I think Sasa is a lock to start. The only question I have is whether he’ll be in at the 4 or 5. I think that’s going to depend a lot on Alexis. He’ll be the biggest guy on our roster next year. He’s a true center, so it wouldn’t shock me if Ed decided to put him in as the starter at the 5 spot. If that happens, I think Sasa is in at the 4 with Graham being the first big man off the bench. If Alexis isn’t ready, then Sasa or Graham could be in at the 5.

I think Marshall is a safe bet as well. Considering how much time he got towards the end of the season, I tend to think that Ed is set on him starting at SG. I’m most curious about who will start at the 3. It could be Cam, seeing as how he’ll be a senior leader next season and has the experience necessary to be successful. Then again, Oliver saw more time than Cam did this year, so it could be him.

PG: Frazier, Lewis
SG: Marshall, Bowman
SF: Woodyard, Travis

That’s the easy part.

PF/C is a mess. Oliver has the experience, but ED seemed to lose confidence in him down the stretch. Graham and Sasa need to be healthy and ready to go. It’d be a major bonus if Alexis can provide at least Ott-type minutes in relief.

Talor Battle isn’t walking through that door, fans. Jeff Brooks is not walking through that door.

Expecting that Buie transfers out my prediction for starting 5 would be:

PG-Frazier
SG-Marshall
SF-Woodyard
PF-Borovjnak
C-Alexis

If Buie stays/plays I expect him to take the SG spot and move Marshall to SF, Woodyard to 6th man. I don’t think Oliver will be a starter, and may even fall behind Travis, Graham and Ackerman in the rotation.

[quote=“WEARE, post:17, topic:2208”]Expecting that Buie transfers out my prediction for starting 5 would be:

PG-Frazier
SG-Marshall
SF-Woodyard
PF-Borovjnak
C-Alexis

If Buie stays/plays I expect him to take the SG spot and move Marshall to SF, Woodyard to 6th man. I don’t think Oliver will be a starter, and may even fall behind Travis, Graham and Ackerman in the rotation.[/quote]

I think Ackerman will probably get a red shirt. Last I checked, he only weighs in at about 215. I tend to believe that they’ll give him a year to bulk up a little more.

Ackerman said he was 215, but his pic (assuming it was recent) suggests that figure was quite generous.

Which picture are you looking at? The one on the matrix?