PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

I have come to the conclusion that

[quote="hoops19, post:16, topic:1940"]Stop complaining about the facilities. Are they the best? Certainly not, but good enough to win. Hire a qualified big ten coach. You think if Thad Matta was coaching PSU we would be complaining about the Bryce Jordan Center? NO. We would be winning and it would be an afterthought. Curley's biggest mistake is that he made the wrong hire 8 years ago - plain and simple. He took a chance on a Penn state guy who has some success at a lower level and it's not working out.[/quote]

Stop complaining about the facilities? How the hell are you supposed to practice properly with cock-eyed baskets, baskets that aren’t at regulation height, and peg holes in the floor?\

Wow.

Matta wouldn’t take this job with these kinds of situations to deal with. Heaven help us the next time we recruit againt OSU for a kid. I’m sure every coach is making copies of these stories to let them know if they come to PSU how well the team is valued by the administation.

Good point. Success makes many things tolerable…cock-eyed baskets, etc.

Thad Matta wouldn’t let his team be treated a 3rd class citizen when trying to find a place to practice.

The head basketball coach should carry more clout than the Intramural Coordinator (with all due respect to the guy in that position)

[quote=“Tom, post:20, topic:1940”]So the basketball teams get kicked out of the building they play in that’s not managed by the AD. OK…

But then they get kicked out of a building that IS managed by the AD.[/quote]

Exactly, there is the root of the problem. We can argue all we want about how we should have the BJC for us to use, but ultimately, as long as athletics doesn’t own it, not a lot we can do. However, athletics manages the IM building schedule, for us to not get to practice there whenever we want shows the REAL opinions of the AD on the hoops program. Simply unacceptable.

I don’t think the bent rims and volleyball holes will bother the players too much. I’d be willing to bet most of these guys grew up practicing on crappy courts or outdoor rims.

I do think it’s sad that PSU doesn’t make it a priority to provide a good court for them to practice on during the season. It’s a bit of a slap in the face but ultimately I don’t think their games will be affected.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:25, topic:1940”]I don’t think the bent rims and volleyball holes will bother the players too much. I’d be willing to bet most of these guys grew up practicing on crappy courts or outdoor rims.

I do think it’s sad that PSU doesn’t make it a priority to provide a good court for them to practice on during the season. It’s a bit of a slap in the face but ultimately I don’t think their games will be affected.[/quote]

True, but how easy is it for an opposing recruiter to say, “hey, look at this article, this is where you will have to practice in case Justin Beiber is in town.”

The team knew about the Bon Jovi thing for awhile now. Shouldn’t the DBO and team managers made sure the baskets were the proper height and level? Granted this sucks but I think some of the blame lays within the team to cross the T’s and dot the i’s

I’m only looking at their actual play which is all that really matters right now. It looks horrible from every other angle. I didn’t mean to come off like it’s not big deal in the bigger picture.

[quote=“Tom, post:23, topic:1940”]Thad Matta wouldn’t let his team be treated a 3rd class citizen when trying to find a place to practice.

The head basketball coach should carry more clout than the Intramural Coordinator (with all due respect to the guy in that position)[/quote]

Like MarkH said, Matta wouldn’t take this job because he wouldn’t WANT to fight that fight.

The reason why most coaches are successful is that the administration is doing everything they can to HELP him be successful. Sometimes you guys forget about that. A coach will not take a job where he has to fight the administration for these things.

Here’s a question… What do you think would have happened if DeChellis was hired at Ohio State and Matta was hired at Penn State? My opinion, DeChellis would have made a LOT of NCAA appearances (won’t ague if he would have had the SAME success as Matta), and Matta would have hit a LOT of bumps in the road and would be at another school right now.

I don’t know. Players commit to coaches right or wrong. Some coaches have the ability to get who they want while others can’t.

It is pretty clear that Matta is a guy that can get and wants NBA lottery types even if it is only for one year. I don’t know that you can say that about ED.

Gary Wiiliams was 24-30 (B1G record). Randy Ayers was 64-80. Jim Obrien was 20-36. None of these guys were setting the world on fire. Yet Matta has come in and gone 69-33. I would say that is a huge turnaround that can be related to him.

[quote="Skeeza, post:29, topic:1940"]Here's a question... What do you think would have happened if DeChellis was hired at Ohio State and Matta was hired at Penn State? My opinion, DeChellis would have made a LOT of NCAA appearances (won't ague if he would have had the SAME success as Matta), and Matta would have hit a LOT of bumps in the road and would be at another school right now.[/quote] I don't know. Players commit to coaches right or wrong. Some coaches have the ability to get who they want while others can't.

It is pretty clear that Matta is a guy that can get and wants NBA lottery types even if it is only for one year. I don’t know that you can say that about ED.

Gary Wiiliams was 24-30 (B1G record). Randy Ayers was 64-80. Jim Obrien was 20-36. None of these guys were setting the world on fire. Yet Matta has come in and gone 69-33. I would say that is a huge turnaround that can be related to him.

Great…he’s getting it done alright.

OK Greg, Kosta, BJ, Jared…Ohio State will let you come play basketball for a year and you only have to go to class for 3/4 of that year…well, sort of…don’t worry, we’ll take care of you.

Sort of reminds me of what Michigan did with the Fab Five. That program is still sort of living off of that scandal. Now I’m not calling what Matta is doing a “scandal”, but it wreaks of a systematic problem where a university institution is letting the program dictate that they OK renting “students” for half a year.
And yet the NCAA nor an “institution of higher learning” like Ohio State have no issues with it whatsoever.

Please NBA, raise the age limit now. As much as I would like to see Sullinger be one and done for PSU’s sake, I also like college basketball too much to see if controlled by kids who don’t truthfully “attend college”.

[quote="Skeeza, post:29, topic:1940"]Here's a question... What do you think would have happened if DeChellis was hired at Ohio State and Matta was hired at Penn State? My opinion, DeChellis would have made a LOT of NCAA appearances (won't ague if he would have had the SAME success as Matta), and Matta would have hit a LOT of bumps in the road and would be at another school right now.[/quote] I don't know. Players commit to coaches right or wrong. Some coaches have the ability to get who they want while others can't.

O’Brien led the Buckeyes to the 1999 Final Four and two Big Ten championships (2000, 2002). If that’s not setting the world on fire, it’s certainly scorching a lot of earth.

Matta had a nice foundation built for him by O’Brien.

O’Brien led the Buckeyes to the 1999 Final Four and two Big Ten championships (2000, 2002). If that’s not setting the world on fire, it’s certainly scorching a lot of earth.

JD B10 winning % = 33%. ED B10 winning % = 28%. Our ship is big so we are still trying to turn it.

Praying for 10-8 in B10 this season.

Parkhill was an assistant on some or all of those teams, no? There’s that name again ;D
[quote="Tom, post:20, topic:1940"]So the basketball teams get kicked out of the building they play in that's not managed by the AD. OK..

Exactly, there is the root of the problem. We can argue all we want about how we should have the BJC for us to use, but ultimately, as long as athletics doesn’t own it, not a lot we can do. However, athletics manages the IM building schedule, for us to not get to practice there whenever we want shows the REAL opinions of the AD on the hoops program. Simply unacceptable.

I am the biggest proponent to our AD, but at the same time, I don’t think this is their “blunder”.

As noted by another poster, we have a DoBO. THEY should have had this cleared up in advance, after all it is their job.

The part that I would stick to the AD is if they thought this was acceptible. Will there be a shakeup in the basketball offices? Will DECHELLIS do something to shake it up?

[quote=“UncleLar, post:32, topic:1940”]O’Brien led the Buckeyes to the 1999 Final Four and two Big Ten championships (2000, 2002). If that’s not setting the world on fire, it’s certainly scorching a lot of earth.

Matta had a nice foundation built for him by O’Brien.[/quote]
Yes, Jim O’Brien had alot of success rebuilding the program after Ayers left. He struggled his first couple seasons - but OSU opened their new arena in '99 (ironically/stupidly against Penn State ::)), and O’Brien reeled in alot of talent (Michael Redd, Scoonie Penn) and made the NCAAs 4 consecutive years. Too bad none of it “counts.”

[quote="Tom, post:20, topic:1940"]So the basketball teams get kicked out of the building they play in that's not managed by the AD. OK..

I am the biggest proponent to our AD, but at the same time, I don’t think this is their “blunder”.

As noted by another poster, we have a DoBO. THEY should have had this cleared up in advance, after all it is their job.

The part that I would stick to the AD is if they thought this was acceptible. Will there be a shakeup in the basketball offices? Will DECHELLIS do something to shake it up?

I doubt that this falls at the feet of the DoBO. If it was, then Ed would not have come out screaming about this - he would have kept silent on the issue/let it go to protect “his guy” if it had been Nestor who was supposed to handle this aspect and screwed it up. The fact that Ed was publicly furious about it from the jump meant to me that it wasn’t the responsibility of anyone in his camp. I’m convinced it was an AD issue.

I doubt that this falls at the feet of the DoBO. If it was, then Ed would not have come out screaming about this - he would have kept silent on the issue/let it go to protect “his guy” if it had been Nestor who was supposed to handle this aspect and screwed it up. The fact that Ed was publicly furious about it from the jump meant to me that it wasn’t the responsibility of anyone in his camp. I’m convinced it was an AD issue.

I ddin’t see Ed come out being furious. I didn’t hear about it until one to the papers broke the story.

If he was angry, it may have been about booking the BJC. I see it as the responsibility of the DoBO to have a secondary practice facility and MAKE SURE it is available for practices. How far in advance did the hoops program know that this was going to happen?

Two points:

Yes, being displaced by Bon Jovi and a Career Fair is symptomatic of the priority (or lack thereof) that MBB has at Penn State. (I can’t argue with giving THON priority at the BJC.) Joe Paterno would not tolerate this. And we wonder why the MBB head coaching job, when it comes open, doesn’t attract the top coaching names in CBB. It’s not just a matter of waving a wad of cash at a head coaching prospect.

Secondly, why can’t the men practice early in the morning in the BJC auxiliary gym (“South Gym”?) if using the IM Building courts is such a disaster. John Chaney’s Temple teams routinely practiced at 6:00am. I’m not saying it’s an ideal solution, but it’s by no means beyond the pale, either. At least everyone’s up and ready to hit those 8:00am classes that day.

The image of Joe Paterno on the morning he is told that the practice field was booked for the Model Railroad Club’s annual picnic and dunking booth fundraiser is too hilarious to contemplate.