PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

I have come to the conclusion that

the AD cares less about the basketball program than the veterans on this board do. I mean this has become disheartening.
Once again from Nae Bauer and BWI:

While clearly, an effort was made to convert the gym into a practice facility and involved installing six retractable hoops, the end result demands questioning.

Hoops that had been visibly lower than regulation height last week appeared to be rectified at today’s practice, but once again, one of the peripheral hoops remained cockeyed (as pictured), and, multiple holes for volleyball net stanchions needed to be taped over as to prevent tripping over their caps.

That picture speaks for itself. I expect more from the gym at LA Fitness, and frankly as poorly as that gym is run, I get better than what I am reading our team can expect.
HTTP://bwi.rivals.com
Go to: NEWS FROM THE HARDWOOD

What the hoops team needs is someone to donate $10M to build a basketball complex that has a 10,000 seat arena that has the intimacy of Rec Hall, a practice facility, and coaches offices to match Oregon’s. How about it, Lar? Surely you can part with that amount of $$.

I still like my idea of pooling for mega millions and donating part of the winnings toward the basketball program. :wink:

I think our best shot is for Calvin Booth to sign one more massive contract. He has to be up there among the richest PSU hoops fans. Plan B is to convert one of the members of the Schreyer family into a huge hoops fan. Plan C is byake’s plan of winning the lottery. Plan C is looking the most likely right now.

Where’s Isaiah when you need him? :slight_smile:

ten mil won’t buy squat

I think that number is missing a 0.

There literally are dozens of places to play basketball on campus. I can’t believe they can’t do better than that.

I also don’t understand why thon weekend would mean a bad turnout for the game.

[quote=“zac1397, post:8, topic:1940”]There literally are dozens of places to play basketball on campus. I can’t believe they can’t do better than that.

I also don’t understand why thon weekend would mean a bad turnout for the game.[/quote]

Because you are going to have several thousand people who starting on Friday afternoon will be planning on staying up for most of the 46 hours supporting the dancers. They will likely be resting on Thursday night not going to a basketball game,

We love the great characters and great players who have come through here over the years. That’s enough to keep us coming back and caring. A person does what he wants to do getting through the long winter. I like following this program, masochistic as it may seem.

I have a brother who graduated from Villanova. It’s easy to be a fan of Villanova. Maybe a lot of their kids are PSU fans in football, I don’t know. I root for the Cats because of my brother and my Dad who is a diehard Nova fan. But from a personal standpoint, I watch this team every year, go to games, and curse and cheer and complain like everybody else. It’s a choice that not everyone makes but it pays off from time to time with kids like the ones on this team this year. It pays off with guys like Cornley and Morrissey and Battle and Brooks, Jones, DJ…not trying to exclude anybody…JC3, JC5, Titus, Tyler, GCH, they’re all stars to me. Sweet P., Donovan, Pete, Calvin, Meech …They all fought the fight the best they could. Some had more success than others but the next ones to come down the pike, I’ll curse and cheer them too. I’ll put up a few hundred grand when I hit for 8 figures in the Superball.

[quote="Great Santini, post:2, topic:1940"]What the hoops team needs is someone to donate [b]$10M[/b] to build a basketball complex that has a 10,000 seat arena that has the intimacy of Rec Hall, a practice facility, and coaches offices to match Oregon's. How about it, Lar? Surely you can part with that amount of $$.[/quote]

Are you saying that IYO 10-50 million don’t get us upgrades or would not bring something better than merely be “willing to take our BigTen cut of the pie” along with the current administration benign approach toward men’s BB not improving. Does not that kind of money get the doner better committments than that.

[quote="Great Santini, post:2, topic:1940"]What the hoops team needs is someone to donate [b]$10M[/b] to build a basketball complex that has a 10,000 seat arena that has the intimacy of Rec Hall, a practice facility, and coaches offices to match Oregon's. How about it, Lar? Surely you can part with that amount of $$.[/quote]

Are you saying that IYO 10-50 million don’t get us upgrades or would not bring something better than merely be “willing to take our BigTen cut of the pie” along with the current administration benign approach toward men’s BB not improving. Does not that kind of money get the doner better committments than that.

I’m saying $10M isn’t going to get you a “a basketball complex that has a 10,000 seat arena that has the intimacy of Rec Hall, a practice facility, and coaches offices to match Oregon’s” (nor will $50M). That would probably take at least $100M.

Sorry, I didn’t read the previous post you responded to very closely. I loved Rec Hall but I am one who does not feel that the BJC is a real issue. We have a good enough arena, that has 15 thousand plus seats. I’m not crazy about the place but don’t feel it is abysmal either. Was not thinking we were taliking about $$$ for an new arena, but just a donation that would force PSU to sit up, take notice and cause them to be more attentive to the details, curently not in place at PSU, that are present in those conference programs that are consistently successful. The better programs of the BigTen I am confident do not have to deal with what apparently is real hard stuff to correct at PSU - like not practicing at 9 and a half foot baskets, and crooked backboards and rims.
IMO these things are just unforgivable, no excuse, no reason for that level of ineptitude at our University. Only reason it exists is because our Administration and AD are not committed to a better solution.
Back in 96, we had a new areaa, we were ranked in the top 20, JoePa was interviewed and asked a question about the PSU basketball program. Joe stated that with everything going, we had arrived in basketball, both in talent and facilities and that PSU would really have to fall asleep to not maintain where we were.
Joe Paterno, meet Tim “Rip Van Winkle” Curley.

Well said. IMO that was a classic case of mismanagement followed by apathy. Joining the Big Ten and Parkhill had the program on an upswing w/steady improvement that led to some higher-caliber recruits (guys like Lisicky, Earl, and Stephens). After 95-96, the administration was so sure with that success and the new arena that PSU basketball was here to stay - they not only got lazy but they got greedy. Remember the next 2-3 years when they moved the student section to the corners to clear up more prime seating for the donors - donors who promptly stopped coming mid-way through the dreadful 96-97 season?

My attitude towards the program is that I follow it because I love basketball and I love Penn State, but realize success will only come in cycles so I just hope for the reward/relief of seeing 2-3 years of struggles pay off with a season where everything comes together. The great thing is the Crispins, Ivorys, Claxtons, Cornleys, and Battles don’t care about that stuff - they just go out and try to win - so you just hope that eventually they’ll experience the type of team success they deserve to - moreso for them than for the program itself.

Any way you look at it, this is simply inexcusable. It’s maddening, heart-sinking, and plain outrageous. If this isn’t clear-cut evidence that Tim Curley doesn’t give two shits about Penn State basketball, then I don’t know what is.

I had planned to increase my NLC donation next year in order to help out with hockey, but will no longer do so.

Stop complaining about the facilities. Are they the best? Certainly not, but good enough to win. Hire a qualified big ten coach. You think if Thad Matta was coaching PSU we would be complaining about the Bryce Jordan Center? NO. We would be winning and it would be an afterthought. Curley’s biggest mistake is that he made the wrong hire 8 years ago - plain and simple. He took a chance on a Penn state guy who has some success at a lower level and it’s not working out.

It would be so much easier to give up on the whole thing if we didn’t keep bringing in such determined and likeable kids. Somehow we keep bringing in guys that are hard not to root for, and that keeps me coming back even though I know there will be more heartache than Joy.

We can’t give up - that is what makes us die hard fans. We all want to see this turned around in the worst way. Some day, if it ever happens, it will be that much sweeter. And by turning around, I don’t mean sneaking into an NCAA tournament every decade. I’m talking top 25 program. Some will say its impossible - I think anything is possible. You just have to find the right coach to bring in which is much easier said then done. But I believe!

Stop complaining about the facilities? How the hell are you supposed to practice properly with cock-eyed baskets, baskets that aren’t at regulation height, and peg holes in the floor?\

Wow.

So the basketball teams get kicked out of the building they play in that’s not managed by the AD. OK…

But then they get kicked out of a building that IS managed by the AD.