PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

I Believe

Borrowing something from Utah State (click thru to YouTube to watch in HD).

HD I Believe! Utah State Men’s Basketball! 1080P

The kids at Utah St also have a great “Winning Team, Losing Team” cheer (their version of Red Auerbach’s cigar). Maybe we can borrow it for tomorrow night.

Utah State Basketball - “Winning Team Losing Team” against New Mexico State

Utah State has great tradition. Hoping they make the Dance.

There are a few colleges that use that cheer, I know Ohio University is big on the Winning team losing team one.

1. Awesome. Nittany Nation does a variation of “I believe” at the end of “oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-ohhhhh” but the Aggies students were awesome.
  2. If you watch in fullscreen, check out the opposing player doing almost an Irish jig at the 0:29 second mark. ;D

Anybody who frequents Reddit… a former d-1 player at (i believe) Central Michigan (???) or some smaller school up there was doing an ask-me-anything about his time playing hoops and he was asked if he ever experienced that “winning-team losing-team” chant… He responded to it by saying something along the lines of “one of the most disheartening things he’d ever experienced playing hoops”.

I thought it was pretty interesting, but I buy it. There’s something about that thing that just seems to demoralizing, it’s almost instinctive (like a puppy getting scolded) that you’re going to feel bad by having somebody point at you and point out you’re losing, even though you know it’s just a basketball game and they’re just trying to get in your head - let alone a building with thousands of people doing it.

Would be nice to have some traditions like that at PSU basketball games. I personally HAAATE the we-are chants.

Thought I was gonna get called out or something, but oh well lol.

Big fan of the “I Believe” chant, and I’ve watched those Utah St videos a bunch of times, that’s awesome.

I like the Nittany Nation introducing the chant this year, and hopefully it’ll be heard REAL loud and clear tomorrow around 9 pm.

I Believe!

Not a huge fan of the I Believe chant…but maybe that’s just because the students at the last several high school games I have attended do it about every 5 minutes.

You have to think an opposing team who has never experienced the I Believe chant has to be a bit humbled to start a game because of it.

The “STAND UP” chant is the worst. Especially when about 90% of the people up there don’t get up

I think it would be one thing if it was used in the last minute of a close game. But I’ve never understood it being used in the first half, or with 10 minutes left in a close game.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:6, topic:2018”]Anybody who frequents Reddit… a former d-1 player at (i believe) Central Michigan (???) or some smaller school up there was doing an ask-me-anything about his time playing hoops and he was asked if he ever experienced that “winning-team losing-team” chant… He responded to it by saying something along the lines of “one of the most disheartening things he’d ever experienced playing hoops”.

I thought it was pretty interesting, but I buy it. There’s something about that thing that just seems to demoralizing, it’s almost instinctive (like a puppy getting scolded) that you’re going to feel bad by having somebody point at you and point out you’re losing, even though you know it’s just a basketball game and they’re just trying to get in your head - let alone a building with thousands of people doing it.

Would be nice to have some traditions like that at PSU basketball games. I personally HAAATE the we-are chants.[/quote]

Even the announcers enjoyed it in this Utah St win over Nevada.

“Winning Team, Losing Team” Chant Against Nevada - Utah State Basketball

Love it.

While the crude-o-meter ranks pretty high, I always got a kick out of the variety of cheers at the Cornell hockey games while I was in grad school. I saw one game where they did a variation on the “winning-team-losing-team” chant against St. Lawrence. Earlier in the year, a couple of St. Lawrence players got themselves into trouble in a fight where one of the players was wielding a baseball bat. So, when the students started the cheer, they changed the references to “hockey-team-baseball-team”.

It was quite funny, actually. I won’t repeat some of the coordinated cheers, but one of my faves was this one directed towards the opposing team goalie.

“Hey , your mother called, she said YOU SUCK!”

;D

Here’s a recent modified version

Cornell Goalie Cheer

Former president and Union College alum Chester A. Arthur called…

[quote="battlesway2, post:10, topic:2018"]The "STAND UP" chant is the worst. Especially when about 90% of the people up there don't get up[/quote]

I think it would be one thing if it was used in the last minute of a close game. But I’ve never understood it being used in the first half, or with 10 minutes left in a close game.

For UCONN Women’s basketball games, everyone in the crowd stands until they score their first point.

[quote="battlesway2, post:10, topic:2018"]The "STAND UP" chant is the worst. Especially when about 90% of the people up there don't get up[/quote]

For UCONN Women’s basketball games, everyone in the crowd stands until they score their first point.

Syracuse does the same thing for men’s games.

Ive always said that something PSU basketball needs is their own schtick.

I live cbb atmospheres, but it too often just imitations of every other student sections.

Corny or not, as long as it’s unique, thats what counts. I also cant stand the WE R chant, but it is unique. Rmemeber the ‘Silent Night’ clip? Unique.

ANY cheer, any chant, anything that we can put our hat on and let the other team know where they are playing. Zombie Nation got too old too quick. Popcorn on defense? step, step, see yah when they foul out? There’s NO WAY we will ever do that as well as other schools.

[quote=“ronb89, post:14, topic:2018”]While the crude-o-meter ranks pretty high, I always got a kick out of the variety of cheers at the Cornell hockey games while I was in grad school. I saw one game where they did a variation on the “winning-team-losing-team” chant against St. Lawrence. Earlier in the year, a couple of St. Lawrence players got themselves into trouble in a fight where one of the players was wielding a baseball bat. So, when the students started the cheer, they changed the references to “hockey-team-baseball-team”.

It was quite funny, actually. I won’t repeat some of the coordinated cheers, but one of my faves was this one directed towards the opposing team goalie.

“Hey , your mother called, she said YOU SUCK!”

;D

Here’s a recent modified version

Former president and Union College alum Chester A. Arthur called…[/quote]

Union College swept Cornell this year!

(I was surprised that Cornell never produced a US President to tell them they sucked.) :wink:

Syracuse does the same thing for men’s games.

That was attempted here for one game 6 or 7 years ago, except the other team started the game on like a 12-0 run and everyone was back sitting at the first timeout.

I’m guessing they don’t stand for too long then?