PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Hypothetical: If you had $100 million to spend at PSU, what would you do?

1. Build a new basketball only facility somewhere closer to the dorms (not sure where). The BJC is nice for concerts, graduation, Thon, etc. It’s a dump for hoops.

2. Put a retractable roof over the baseball and softball stadiums.

3. Revamp Rec Hall to make it last for another 50 years.

4. Put second decks on the east and west sides of Beaver Stadium (and it shall always be named Beaver Stadium). I’ll go with Paterno Field. Joe was an excellent man and great role model. General Beaver was a great man. There’s a reason the students named the field after him - without him, there’s no PSU football and maybe no PSU. Add into that Civil War general (wounded three times; always came back to his troops; lost a leg in battle), governor of PA and Superior Court Justice. That’s the kind of man Joe would honor and hold in high esteem.

5. Hold the PIAA AAAA and AAA championship games at Beaver Stadium

6. Continue to hold all state basketball championships at the new hoops arena.

7. Build a volleyball only arena (seat 5,000) and name it after Coach Rose.

8. Put Lar in charge of statistics.

That’s how I’d spend a quick $100 million - how about you guys?

Not necessarily in order . . .

Pay for the new Natatorium addition and the new indoor tennis facility.

Build much better fan amenities at the Outdoor Track.

Build a soccer house at Jeffrey Field (locker rooms & lounges, coaches offices, public restrooms and concessions).

Finish off the plan for the new lacrosse stadium and build the planned addition for lacrosse team facilities to the Multi-Sport Complex (which should be named the Barney Ewell Fieldhouse).

Enclose the Atrium per plan at Pattee Library.

Demolish the middle third of the Hammond Building and renovate the remaining ends, demolish the remaining Engineering Units, and then landscape the view to the Hintz Alumni House from College Avenue.

I’d like to build a new Science complex where the Ag Headhouses sit near central campus, but I’m already out of money.

Evan - you took this in a whole new direction. I was just looking at sports related stuff.

My hope is that there will be so much research money coming into PSU that we won’t have to worry about the rest of the campus - just athletics. 8)

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:2, topic:3091”]Not necessarily in order . . .

Pay for the new Natatorium addition and the new indoor tennis facility.

Build much better fan amenities at the Outdoor Track.

Build a soccer house at Jeffrey Field (locker rooms & lounges, coaches offices, public restrooms and concessions).

Finish off the plan for the new lacrosse stadium and build the planned addition for lacrosse team facilities to the Multi-Sport Complex (which should be named the Barney Ewell Fieldhouse).

Enclose the Atrium per plan at Pattee Library.

Demolish the middle third of the Hammond Building and renovate the remaining ends, demolish the remaining Engineering Units, and then landscape the view to the Hintz Alumni House from College Avenue.

I’d like to build a new Science complex where the Ag Headhouses sit near central campus, but I’m already out of money.[/quote]

Leave Hammond alone us Engineering Geeks love that hideous old dinosaur. :wink:

Taking your subject meaning I have $100 million to spend AT PSU…what would I do?

Besides the obvious (two chicks at the same time).

I’d buy a luxury suite in the PIA and a luxury apartment downtown so I have a place to stay on sports weekends.

I’d get season tickets to every sport.

I’d buy lots of cool stuff for Nittany Nation to encourage them to attend all sporting events – including basketball, hockey, men’s, women’s, etc. I’d even pay for their tickets if that’s what it takes. Gotta have the students engaged in all events.

I’d buy Free Big Macs for a win no matter how many points are scored.

I’d buy thousands of those cool gray jerseys, ship them to Philly, and have them handed out in high schools (not to recruits of course).

I’d make sure the basketball teams and hockey teams had some of the finest, most incredible locker rooms / team rooms in the world.

I’d buy Lar a Rolling Rock and kid a diet coke at the Tavern and make them sit face to face…

I’d buy myself a much better beer at the Tavern and watch the debate.

I’d endow PennStateHoops.com for life.

I’d buy HappyValleyHockey.com from Lar and turn it into a website instead of a future project with no completion date in site.

I’d buy one of those media vans, hire a hacker, and broadcast THON worldwide on every network.

I’d make some adjustments to the BJC seating arrangement to make it more intimate for basketball only.

Seriously though, if I had a ton of money, I’d buy the Second Mile, change the name, make it way better and have it do what it was supposed to do – help troubled kids get on the right track. Unfortunately, I don’t have a ton of money, and it doesn’t look like anyone else is going to bail out that train wreck and set it straight.

Once I latch onto these things I have a hard time letting go. I’ve got probably dozen or so domain names that I do nothing with - some of them have some pretty decent names too.

HappyValleyHockey.com
HockeyValley.com
PennStatePucks.com
HoopValley.com
NittWiki.com
ScrappyValley.com
TwoQuad.com (thought I might do something tied to FourSquare).

They (and several others) all sit unused. I did recently let HappyValleyHabitants.com expire though - that one was too much of a stretch for even me to hang onto.

My whole HappyValley… series (HappyValleyHoops, HappyValleyHalfNelson, HappyValleyHardball, HappyValleyHeroes) of sites are dormant. I also shut down my Spikes site, DeerPhobia.com (one of my better name choices I thought).

I had a pretty good thing going with my nude Olympians website (Oglympics.com) for good while (until my registrar figured out there was nudity on the site, in violation of my terms of service). Given this is an Olympic year, I might have to relaunch it somewhere else. I also had thoughts of expanding on the “Ogl” theme, which is why I’ve held onto Oglorder (nude women of Law and Order anyone?) for years.

I’m still keeping my toe in the water with a couple of things though.

Now if you want to make me an offer, I could probably be talked into giving up one of my hockey domains at a reasonable price. The guys over at The Goon Show are paying me in Rolling Rocks so I can be quite reasonable. :smiley:

Maybe if I had a $100M, I’d hire someone to just run them all. :slight_smile:

This may be a bit off topic, but I while I was at the Iowa game, I noticed the baseball field.

I was telling my lady that it is like the one just built in York. There was a HUGE to-do about building a baseball field in York. All the talk about financing, can they afford it, what would be the returns, etc. It was a huge financial investment that took years and years to actually develope.

Now here is State College. A fraction of the size. They have a world class baseball field, right next to their world class football field, basketball arena, indoor track facility, soon to be hockey arena, and an indoor practice facility.

It’s almost an embarassment of riches, and all the talk is about adding more. :-[

[quote=“Skeeza, post:7, topic:3091”]This may be a bit off topic, but I while I was at the Iowa game, I noticed the baseball field.

I was telling my lady that it is like the one just built in York. There was a HUGE to-do about building a baseball field in York. All the talk about financing, can they afford it, what would be the returns, etc. It was a huge financial investment that took years and years to actually develope.

Now here is State College. A fraction of the size. They have a world class baseball field, right next to their world class football field, basketball arena, indoor track facility, soon to be hockey arena, and an indoor practice facility.

It’s almost an embarassment of riches, and all the talk is about adding more. :-[[/quote]

I don’t know how the baseball stadium is working out for the University but I can tell you it’s been an unqualified success as far as the minor league team is concerned. They have a first class operation in there and draw very well. On a per game basis, they average about the same attendance that York does. Because they are a short-season team they only have about half the dates that York does so overall attendance is proportionally lower. However, since they are a franchise of a major league club they don’t have a player payroll to meet like York does so the financial model is considerably different.

Lar - I assume the University owns the baseball stadium. Do the Spikes lease it from the University?

On a related thread, college baseball (especially in the North) should play a late Spring/summer/early Fall schedule. That way, we’d keep a lot of good BB players in the north and not ship them off to FL and CA. I think the Big Ten could try a 50 game summer schedule to see how it would work.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:9, topic:3091”]Lar - I assume the University owns the baseball stadium. Do the Spikes lease it from the University?

On a related thread, college baseball (especially in the North) should play a late Spring/summer/early Fall schedule. That way, we’d keep a lot of good BB players in the north and not ship them off to FL and CA. I think the Big Ten could try a 50 game summer schedule to see how it would work.[/quote]

Yes.

Amateur baseball already has a well established summer league set-up that the NCAA probably doesn’t want to mess with.

I would tear down the Hammond building and build new buildings for Electrical Engineering. I would make them world class so that department could improve its ranking.

Put more money into the school of International Affairs, into the Liberal Arts college, and more money to attract top law professors to the law school

Re-evaluate whether IST makes sense as a separate college, or if it would attract better faculty within another college.

Actually, I think what I would do is terminate the law school at University Park. The last thing Pennsylvania needs is more lawyers. I’d just as soon spend the money on a medical and dental school at University Park that could serve Central and North Central Pennsylvania.

Thought about this a bit now that Powerball is going to have ridiculous jackpots. (I only play when it goes over $200 million) No real chance but fun to think about.

I still think, with the Hockey rink taking up the 3 ring circus shows, that the BJC is salvageable. My idea would be to make a seed gift of $50 Million to PSU with 3 conditions.

[ul]That the first retractable row behind the basket be the same distance from the court as the Dean dome.

That the rake of the new seats be such that the last row be the same height as it is now in the upper deck with no upper deck break. If you where to run a consistent line of seats from the top the upper deck behind the basket down to the court, the seats near the basket would be much higher. (Probably = to the Dean Domes lower bowl). Yes you would end up demolishing seating in each end but if no one is using those seats or wants to sit there then the cost of standing pat is higher than replacing them with marketable seats.

That work be done on a conversation system for the seats near the court that are easily switchable from seats for concerts and standing room only for B-ball. We could probably fit twice as many students in the same court side spaces and in the areas behind the basket. [/ul]

Concerts could still happen with this arraignment and I would bookend the remaining the upper deck with 4 columns/towers of Luxury boxes in each corner that have a back outside porch usable for football game days like at Auburn. And yes for Thon and other considerations the seats behind the baskets should be fully retractable to allow the current floor place to be used if needed, just not viewable for all seats like it is now.

Our lockers rooms are good and our offices are good but we probably do need 1 more gym. I have wondered if a better tact would be to provide the Lady volleyball and Lady Lions their own separate workout, gym, locker rooms and support center in a separate building. Both programs are flagship programs for PSU and could benefit from specially designed places for women. Then the Mens Bball team would have the run of the BJC facilities which, with just a small amount of renovations and extra space from the vacated women’s programs, would be on par with anyone else.

Simple: Implode the BJC (and use part of the ‘budget’ to throw a great viewing/tailgate party outside to watch it crumble, headlined by Live or Pearl Jam or even the great J.R. Mangan. Then build a state-of-the-art and intimate basketball only venue. Say 10,000 seats. That is my dream at PSU. Sadly, the new hockey facility can’t/won’t be built for a dual purpose. I’m sure I’ll love it and will go to some games, but it’s going to piss me off as well looking at it and then walking into the joke that is the BJC for a hoops game.

I must be one of the few people around that actually likes the BJC. I’d like it even more if it was a smaller basketball only arena with tons of tradition, but the BJC is a cool place to go for hoops.

I’d spend money on the housing in Pollock, with the goal to make it more comfortable for students. I lived in Schulze, and even at 5’8’’ my feet were nearly hanging off of the bed because they were so small. Also, showers were very uncomfortable because anyone over 6’0’’ would have their head clearly exposed over the door, and walls. The rooms are tight, and you are basically sleeping next to your shelves. Completely uncomfortable.

Since this cafeteria was taken away, I’d add two healthy eating cafeterias (one on each side of campus) so students can eat healthy, and I’d want to keep the food as cheap as I could so it encouraged a healthier diet.

I’d donate $5 million to THON, and $5 million to CVC.

I’d look to improve as many buildings as possible so students can experience a more comfortable learning environment. Also, improve the quality of some professor’s offices.

I’d use a large amount of money to improve and restore parking around Beaver Stadium. Maybe relocate the buildings north of the stadium to another location. And do some major grading of the land to the east of the stadium to make those little valleys better for parking.

Tailgating isn’t what it used to be and I really think it is hurting the overall experience. I have friends who no longer go to games because of it. As the population ages the trend will get worse. Who wants to tailgate over a 1/2 mile away from the stadium in a lot where you can’t even see the stadium. All of these new facilities taking the prime parking for football parking is slowly killing the goose.

I’d also move up the timeline to build the new pressbox and suites on the West stands.

Basketball-wise I’d just make sure that PC has what he needs to recruit top flight talent. whether it is access to school planes, better player locker rooms, video, weights, etc. When the team starts winning consistently the BJC will be fine. It’ll never be “homey” like Rec Hall, but it is fine.

I think I would upgrade the dorms. When I was a student East Halls was newish. About 5-6 years ago my son attended summer athletic camps at PSU and stayed in East Halls. I was “shocked” when I moved him out of the dorm room each year. By my stanards the rooms were terrible. …And, I don’t have real high stanards reference to dorm rooms! :’(
P.S. Maybe they have been upgraded since then. I don’t know.

You realize how rare even this scenario is at most college campuses for general parking to be “only” 1/2 mile from the stadium?

I would spend the vast majority of the money on one HELL of a weekend in Vegas.

If we are looking at strictly an athletic standpoint, I would take a different route.

The first thing I would do would require a much smaller investment. I would pay for every student ticket, and make sure they get in for free. I would even kick in a little extra for some perks to actually get the kids to go. I would then spend some on an focused advertising campaign on campus to get a ‘buzz’ going about the program.

Before I spent a single dime, I would have to get the promise from the AD’s office that the student section will NOT be moved. I know those bean-counting b*stards would ship the kids to the ‘endzone’ seats as soon as they had the seats paid for.