PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Hummel out again

goodmanonfox Jeff Goodman Horrible news. Purdue's Robbie Hummel tore his knee again in practice this morning and is done for the season.

At first, I made sure it wasn’t April 1st. What horrible luck.

http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/10/16/purdues_hummel_tears_acl_again;_out_for_season

I just heard this on B10N during the MSU/Illini game. Deja vu

Wow that kid doesn’t have any good luck. I Was going to say any luck but his is all bad.

This news just stinks. Hummel is a quality kid on and off the court. Purdue will make adjustments but will not have the top potential that they’d have with a healthy Hummel. I feel bad for the Boilermakers, but especially for Robbie Hummel.

Since his injury last season was too late for a medical RS, I’m assuming he’ll take one this season and come back next year? I don’t know his status or anything… just guessing.

Ditto. :frowning:

http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/10/16/impossible_to_be_objective_on_hummel

That’s a bummer. Never like to see the kids get injured – and especially not two years in a row. Good luck Robbie.

Big Ten is better off when Hummel is healthy. Tough loss for everybody. Great kid, great player.

That’s rough, really feel bad for the kid.

In other Purdue news, I just read a blurb somewhere recently that JJ is now benching over 300 pounds and looks pretty jacked. Not looking forward to playing them this year, with or without Hummel.

Not sure if I’ve ever seen a guy get an ACL injury, and then get another one without ever playing a scheduled game on the same knee. Makes you wonder about the surgery or if he came back too fast.

Maybe but don’t forget the growth spurts that basketball players go through often are a double edged sword later on in life. He seem to have multiple problem areas physically and he’s the type of guy who leaves it all on the court, something bound to come up.

Hope he can get healthy enough to make one more comeback.

I was thinking the same thing. Then, when you read things like this (from the opening article), it REALLY makes you wonder…

The Boilermakers returned seniors JaJuan Johnson and E’Twaun Moore – and [b]Hummel was well ahead of schedule in his rehab and was cleared to play earlier in the month. [/b]

Ahead of schedule? It doesn’t sound like he was.

Some people are just more susceptible to tearing the ACL. My brother-in-law has torn his 3 times in the same knee. This current time he was just walking down the 2 steps from the mud room to the garage. He didn’t slip, trip, stumble or anything.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:11, topic:1399"]Not sure if I've ever seen a guy get an ACL injury, and then get another one without ever playing a scheduled game on the same knee. Makes you wonder about the surgery or if he came back too fast.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Then, when you read things like this (from the opening article), it REALLY makes you wonder…

The Boilermakers returned seniors JaJuan Johnson and E’Twaun Moore – and [b]Hummel was well ahead of schedule in his rehab and was cleared to play earlier in the month. [/b]

Ahead of schedule? It doesn’t sound like he was.

Look at the post that is quoted above (from October), now look at the article quoted below (from last week). Does this make others uncomfortable, or is it just me?

Robbie Hummel ahead of schedule

Hummel was second on the team with 15.7 points and 6.9 rebounds per game last season before a torn ACL in his right knee ended his season on Feb. 24. He had surgery, recovered and expected to play this season, but he reinjured the knee during practice Oct. 16 and had another surgery a month later.

Hummel said doctors have told him his recovery is about a month ahead of schedule