How would UConn do against the men?

With UConn dominating the women’s programs, the inevitable comparison has to come up.

They are winning thier tournament games by an average of 50 points. How would they do against the men?

If you have a specific finish in mind, please share your thoughts…

[quote=“Skeeza, post:1, topic:1077”]With UConn dominating the women’s programs, the inevitable comparison has to come up.

They are winning thier tournament games by an average of 50 points. How would they do against the men?

If you have a specific finish in mind, please share your thoughts…[/quote]

You can’t be serious. ::slight_smile:

#348 = dead last. That means they would have to lose almost every single game, if not all plus get some mathematical misfortune. I’d take the odds to say they beat 1 or 2 teams… Then again, I haven’t watched women’s basketball in… forever.

I really don’t mean to be a jerk and I know I should probably follow the old message board rule of just ignoring things…

BUT…

This is really dumb. UConn wouldn’t beat NCAA Division III teams. UConn wouldn’t beat decent high school boys teams.

I’m sorry. Not trying to be a jerk again…but it’s just the truth.

Smaller. Slower. Less skilled. Using a smaller ball. It wouldn’t even be a contest…not within 50 points of NJIT, New Hampshire or anyone else ED might want to put on the schedule.

Maybe tomorrow, if this debate really becomes a debate, I’ll share some anecdotal evidence about average men’s D-3 basketball players facing off against high major D-1 women’s players.

There are certain sports where I feel women can compete with men like golf, volleyball, tennis.

Basketball is absolutely not one of them. Just no.

[quote=“eric17, post:5, topic:1077”]There are certain sports where I feel women can compete with men like golf, volleyball, tennis.

Basketball is absolutely not one of them. Just no.[/quote] :wink:

Not sure about golf or tennis, or volleyball for that matter. Annika Sorenstam or Michele Lee never made a cut. They didn’t finish last, but not in the top 75 or so.

I’d say bowling, pool, horseback riding, archery, diving. Of course, in a sport guys don’t play, they’d kill on the balance beam.

Re UConn, I’m pulling for Britney Greiner, the 6’8" size 17 shoe, monster on Baylor. You know what they say about girls with big feet. :wink:

Primed for an upset. Streaks are meant to be broken.

Can’t compare because of the smaller basketball. But in “dream world games” they may only beat a weak D3. Maybe…

Barring a fluke, #348. Only a handful of women basketball players can dunk a basketball - even with the smaller ball. I don’t know that any of the UCONN women can dunk - almost everyone on PSU’s men’s team can dunk - even our 5’10" guards.

Women BB players are smaller, slower, vertically challenged, much less physical, have less stamina and haven’t played against very good competition.

Many top women’s programs have men on their squads - they bring in former HS boys basketball players who aren’t good enough to play in college and have them scrimmage against the women. The theory is that these men give the women’s teams better competition than their second teamers. They often pay their room and board and/or books. Last I checked, there are no former women’s HS players brought in to scrimmage against the men.

This issue comes up here a lot in CT. There’s a famous bumper sticker that says something like: “UCONN: Where men are men and women are champions.” Some of the more strident UCONN women supporters say that some of the girls should play on the men’s team because they are so much better. Clueless.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:8, topic:1077”]Barring a fluke, #348. Only a handful of women basketball players can dunk a basketball - even with the smaller ball. I don’t know that any of the UCONN women can dunk - almost everyone on PSU’s men’s team can dunk - even our 5’10" guards.

Women BB players are smaller, slower, vertically challenged, much less physical, have less stamina and haven’t played against very good competition.

Many top women’s programs have men on their squads - they bring in former HS boys basketball players who aren’t good enough to play in college and have them scrimmage against the women. The theory is that these men give the women’s teams better competition than their second teamers. They often pay their room and board and/or books. Last I checked, there are no former women’s HS players brought in to scrimmage against the men.

This issue comes up here a lot in CT. There’s a famous bumper sticker that says something like: “UCONN: Where men are men and women are champions.” Some of the more strident UCONN women supporters say that some of the girls should play on the men’s team because they are so much better. Clueless.[/quote]

As, apparently, two members of this board are also.

Last year, NJIT was the worst team in D1 ball. They went 1-30 and actually played here at the BJC losing 74-47. Anyone who say that game would realize that even though they were terrible, they’d still blow away the UConn women.

For one thing, they’d TOWER over them.

Here was NJIT’s starting lineup compared to UConn’s.

Guard Jheryl Wilson 6’3" vs Tiffany Hayes 5’10"
Guard Justin Garris 6’3" vs Caroline Doty 5’10"
Guard Isaiah Wilkerson 6’4" vs Kalana Green 5’10"
Forward Gary Garris 6’5" vs Maya Moore 6’0"
Center Dan Stonkus 6’9" vs Tina Charles 6’4"

So the girls are giving up at least 5 inches at EVERY position.

The NJIT guys are just bigger, faster, more athletic, and play above the rim. The UConn girls couldn’t come close.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:10, topic:1077”]Last year, NJIT was the worst team in D1 ball. They went 1-30 and actually played here at the BJC losing 74-47. Anyone who say that game would realize that even though they were terrible, they’d still blow away the UConn women.

Center Isaih Wilkerson 6’9" vs Tina Charles 6’4"

The NJIT guys are just bigger, faster, more athletic, and play above the rim. The UConn girls couldn’t come close.[/quote]

That guy doesn’t exist. Two Wilkersons? They have one, and hes 6’3.

Rumor has it that UConn practices against men (most likely significantly taller), so the height wouldn’t be a new thing to them. How their fair against these men is beyond my knowledge.

If UConn was a good 3PT shooting team, I would seriously consider them winning a game, but they aren’t even in the Top 50 for 3Pt% (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/leaders?year=2010&cat=7&type=2).

I think they would be competitive against the last 10 or so D1 men’s teams, but even that might be overrating UConn. They just aren’t as big, strong or quick as the men. Plus, either their shooting % would go way down with the larger men’s ball or the men’s % would go way up with the smaller women’s ball.

[quote="UncleLar, post:10, topic:1077"]Last year, NJIT was the worst team in D1 ball. They went 1-30 and actually played here at the BJC losing 74-47. Anyone who say that game would realize that even though they were terrible, they'd still blow away the UConn women.

The NJIT guys are just bigger, faster, more athletic, and play above the rim. The UConn girls couldn’t come close.[/quote]

Rumor has it that UConn practices against men (most likely significantly taller), so the height wouldn’t be a new thing to them. How their fair against these men is beyond my knowledge.

If UConn was a good 3PT shooting team, I would seriously consider them winning a game, but they aren’t even in the Top 50 for 3Pt% (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/leaders?year=2010&cat=7&type=2).

Bad cut and paste - fixed it.

Virtually all women’s basketball teams practice against guys - but the guys aren’t very good (if they were they’d be playing college ball somewhere rather than scrimmaging against the girls) and they aren’t usually anywhere near the size of NJIT’s team.

As far as three point shooting goes, they would be lucky to get a shot off. Watch a game some time; they don’t elevate much on their three point shots. The ball would come flying back in their face because they’d be guarded by a guy five inches taller who probably out jumps them by another eight inches plus.

[quote="eric17, post:5, topic:1077"]There are certain sports where I feel women can compete with men like golf, volleyball, tennis.

Basketball is absolutely not one of them. Just no.[/quote] :wink:

Not sure about golf or tennis, or volleyball for that matter. Annika Sorenstam or Michele Lee never made a cut. They didn’t finish last, but not in the top 75 or so.

I’d say bowling, pool, horseback riding, archery, diving. Of course, in a sport guys don’t play, they’d kill on the balance beam.

Re UConn, I’m pulling for Britney Greiner, the 6’8" size 17 shoe, monster on Baylor. You know what they say about girls with big feet. :wink:

Primed for an upset. Streaks are meant to be broken.

Actually, I don’t know (and I probably don’t want to know) what they say about girls with big feet! :smiley:

[quote="noobd, post:3, topic:1077"]#348 = dead last. That means they would have to lose almost every single game, if not all plus get some mathematical misfortune. I'd take the odds to say they beat 1 or 2 teams... Then again, I haven't watched women's basketball in... forever.[/quote]

Last year, NJIT was the worst team in D1 ball. They went 1-30 and actually played here at the BJC losing 74-47. Anyone who say that game would realize that even though they were terrible, they’d still blow away the UConn women.

The NJIT guys are just bigger, faster, more athletic, and play above the rim. The UConn girls couldn’t come close.

I go along with the consensus of most people here, they couldn’t compete. Not only the speed, size, etc., but with the style of play.

Women take a little longer to get a shot off. I think there would be a LOT of blocked shots against them every game. Most also shoot differently. They don’t have near the strength of the guys, so their range is more limited. When they do shoot from downtown, sometimes they have a hitch in their stroke, such as a shot from the front of the shoulder instead of the side of the head, or they may have to take a semi-step to get the ball there.

I said #348. Games not even close. Tina Charles may be the WBB player of the year, but could you imagine that slim 6’4" girl trying to post up or guard Andrew Jones or Jeff Brooks?

[quote="UncleLar, post:10, topic:1077"]Last year, NJIT was the worst team in D1 ball. They went 1-30 and actually played here at the BJC losing 74-47. Anyone who say that game would realize that even though they were terrible, they'd still blow away the UConn women.

Maybe not on 3 percentage, but in recent win one girl shot 70% for the game. I guess she was 7-10. But if they really can’t shoot, I think Greiner got 6 or 7 blocks last game, so she could really cause trouble for UConn. I’d love an upset.

espn did a UConn women’s short special, and at practice they were playing vs. guys. I know a guy who did this at Arizona, and while he was tall, he was not a good player at all, not even in HS. He played on my son’s team in Vermont. He couldn’t play D3, NFW. But he was 6’6".

Actually, I don't know (and I probably don't [i]want[/i] to know) what they say about girls with big feet! :D
;D Just joshin on what women's big feet imply. I wouldn't want to know either.

[quote="noobd, post:3, topic:1077"]#348 = dead last. That means they would have to lose almost every single game, if not all plus get some mathematical misfortune. I'd take the odds to say they beat 1 or 2 teams... Then again, I haven't watched women's basketball in... forever.[/quote]

I go along with the consensus of most people here, they couldn’t compete. Not only the speed, size, etc., but with the style of play.

Women take a little longer to get a shot off. I think there would be a LOT of blocked shots against them every game. Most also shoot differently. They don’t have near the strength of the guys, so their range is more limited. When they do shoot from downtown, sometimes they have a hitch in their stroke, such as a shot from the front of the shoulder instead of the side of the head, or they may have to take a semi-step to get the ball there.

I said #348. Games not even close. Tina Charles may be the WBB player of the year, but could you imagine that slim 6’4" girl trying to post up or guard Andrew Jones or Jeff Brooks?

I seriously wonder how many shots they would even get to take if the men’s team used something like a 1-2-1-1 fullcourt press.

Anyone see Bruce Pearl’s comments in this week’s SI? I don’t have a link and don’t have it in front of me so I’ll paraphrase. He said he thinks there have been numerous players on Pat Summitt’s teams that could have played on the men’s team, and that Candace Parker would have started. Personally, I think he’s nuts.

He’s just staying on Pat Summitt’s good side. The last thing he needs to do is start a feud between the men’s and women’s teams like we used to have at PSU. Saying something that she might take exception to would be like DeChellis saying something to PO Paterno - not too smart.