PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

How weird

In its 9 Big Ten wins, check out PSU’s scores…

66-63 at Minny
66-52 at NW
66-63 vs Minny - same score in both Minny games
65-41 vs NW
56-52 vs Wisconsin
65-51 vs Iowa
57-55 vs Illinois
66-62 vs MSU
69-60 at Indy

Four times scoring 66, twice on 65 and never over 70.

And guess how many points PSU scored in the 2009 BTT PSU/Indiana 6 vs 11 game…you guessed it 66. :o (They won 66-51)

Penn State basketball…brought to you by Phillips 66

I see a lot of 6’s there including 3 cases of 666. I think we now know what Ed had to do to achieve this success this season. :o

Should we be playing 666 for the daily number? :slight_smile:

What sucks about it is that students get a free Big Mac when PSU scores more than 75. It’s very cynical of McDonalds to set a target that they know PSU won’t hit.

Only those of us of a certain age probably truly get this.

Do you know other versions of Revelation had the number as 616 and 665?

[quote="Bulldog, post:4, topic:2069"]Should we be playing 666 for the daily number? :)[/quote]

Tim,
This is like your 3rd biblical reference in just about 1 week. I’ve always respected your knowledge of social issues but I never realized it extended to the good book.

I’m beginning to wonder, is it you or us??

[quote="Bulldog, post:4, topic:2069"]Should we be playing 666 for the daily number? :)[/quote]

PA lottery? circa 1980?

I cover 666 in math concepts class - how Greek number symbols were letters of the Greek alphabet, and that the symbols for 666 formed a word that either named or represented the Roman emperor Nero. I wonder if the alternate numbers (which is new to me, by the way) relate to differences in translation from Greek or Aramaic?

Should we be playing 666 for the daily number? :)

Yeah. I know. Probably because I was born on 6/16 in… '66. You don’t want to mess with me. :smiley:

PA lottery? circa 1980?

I cover 666 in math concepts class - how Greek number symbols were letters of the Greek alphabet, and that the symbols for 666 formed a word that either named or represented the Roman emperor Nero. I wonder if the alternate numbers (which is new to me, by the way) relate to differences in translation from Greek or Aramaic?

Ever see the movie PI? I’m sure you have if those types of things are of interest to you. Always thought this scene was really cool. Might be NSFW, can’t remember if there’s any cursing but I don’t think so.

Pi - 4. “Fibonacci Sequence”

Tim,
This is like your 3rd biblical reference in just about 1 week. I’ve always respected your knowledge of social issues but I never realized it extended to the good book.

I’m beginning to wonder, is it you or us??

It’s me. I was a religion writer many years ago and have not been able to shake the bug.

I was struck by the Talor story on “The Journey” about him wanting to share his sandwich with the homeless man who approached them while his family was living in a car. As his mother said, “He was starving, but we were starving, too.” Talor’s response was that he still would have offered him some of his sandwich (or his sandwich, not sure how the story went). I went with the widow’s mites parable, but the sermon on the mount is also applicable:

But I say unto you, That you resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also.

And if any man will sue you at the law, and take away your coat,
let him have your cloak also.

And whosoever shall compel you to go a mile, go with him two.

Give to him that asks you, and from him that would borrow of you
turn you not away.

You have heard that it has been said, You shall love your
neighbor, and hate your enemy.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you,
do good to them that hate you, and pray for those who despitefully use
you, and persecute you;

That you may be the children of your Father which is in heaven:
for he makes his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends
rain on the just and on the unjust.

For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? do not
even the publicans the same?

And if you salute your brothers only, what do you more than
others? do not even the publicans so?

Be you therefore perfect, just as your Father which is in heaven
is perfect."

Wow…

I never thought the number 66 would strike such a chord with this board…

Revelations…Greeks…Nero…Aramaic…the PA Lottery.

I was thinking more on the lines of Route 66. Too bad the BTT isn’t in Chicago, the starting point of the Mother Road. Though let’s say their journey started with a big road win at Northwestern, near Chicago. After the BTT, then the Nits can go down that road to Tulsa for their “second” and “third” round games. Then go further west on Route 66 to Anaheim, CA for the West regional games. Before making it to Reliant Stadium in Houston which is 666 miles from the state of Kentucky, Jeff Brooks’ home state. (Houston to Oak Grove, Kentucky on the border with Tennessee, check it out).
http://www.distance-calculator.co.uk/usa-distance-houston-to-oak_grove.htm

Weird, ain’t it…

It’s all coming together folks…it’s ALL coming together.