PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

How satisfying do you think playing in the new first round will be for fans?

We could wind up finding out if things go well the next few days, but just in general I can’t see anyone ever thinking of the “play-in” games as anything but “play-in games” rather than an actual first round of the tournament.

It’s better than not making the dance altogether to some degree, but I think you will still feel like you have one more game to play before you’re actually IN the tournament, no matter what they want to label the games.

I miss the 64 team days - it was perfect. :-[

The only good thing, other than you at least get an invite, is you will get to play to a national audience in a game with some meaning, unlike those two 16th seeded teams that are just playing for the right to get slaughtered in the “second round” by a #1 seed. Most likely you will be a 12 seed going up against a 5, and we all know what can happen in those games all too well.

Will it feel like we’re in the tournament if we have to go to Dayton. Not really, as you state Craftsy. Not until you get to Thursday/Friday and are part of the true “madness”.

Bottom line…it’s still better than making the NIT for the four seniors, for sure.

True - at least you get the spotlight on you for a second. But like you’re saying, it’s still not going to feel like the real dance until thurs/fri.

I’ll still take it, if that’s what they’re offering.

Are the “play-in” games still from the bottom of the seeding? All 4 winners get the 1 seed on Thurs/Fri, right? If that’s the case, it’s only going to steal the spotlight from 3 more low-major conference teams who won’t now get their day in the sun. There won’t be any at-large entries in these games, their seed won’t ever be low enough. Therefore, it’ll be the “little guy” who gets the screws out to them again. It’s also taking 4 of these schools who would have been a 15 seed (and historically a possible W) and force them to win a tough game before playing a 1 seed. It will also dilute the quality in the pool of 12-14 seeds (the bottom seeds of the “last 4 in”) and making those 3-14, 4-13 and 5-12 games have fewer upsets.

As a BU fan, I’m seriously concerned that the Bison could end up in one of those games if they win on Friday. I would find that personally very dissapointing. Go back and read about their game against Kansas… That’s what the tourny is all about for the small schools. They’re taking that away from 4 schools now, and even the winners will not have the same run-up to the big game since they have to play one in-between. Plus, had that been in effect a few years ago, BU would have been one seed lower and had to play a #2 seed which would have been that much more difficult of an upset.

It’s all about getting more power conference teams in the dance so they can take a bigger slice of the pie… I think the “play in” games should all be at large teams. you win your conference’s bid, you’re in the field of 64 and let the others who squeeked in battle it out. Of course, that wouldn’t be good for dear old state, but that’s just how I see it.

No…two games are the existing auto-bid conferences fighting for the chance to lose to the #1 seed.

The other two are at-large bids from more traditional conferences fighting for 11/12 seeds.

I still think all the play-in games should be for at-large bids.

What really sucks for fans wanting to watch the “First Four” games? The fact that many won’t have it available in HD

Also, to add to what Tom said, Bucknell won’t be close to the opening round games. They’ll likely get a 13-14 seed.

Thanks for setting me straight. I feel a little better about the process, although I still don’t like it.

For schools like BU, they need to boost their RPI up enough to avoid those 15 and 16 seeds. Heck, our win vs UCLA was from a 13 seed, wasn’t it? Those games are very winable.

Patriot League has only had one opening round berth, in 2004, which was a really weak year at the top for the Patriot League (highest ranked team was #148 and they didn’t even win the league).

SWAC and MEAC have had nine of the 20 bids so far.

Though never in the same year. According to Jerry Palm, that “unwritten” bracketing rule will probably be going away this year, however they likely won’t match up the two conferences.

Look for Arkansas Little Rock to be “playing in”.

I would have no problem being in a play in game. It is a game that I would feel we should win and the two games for the 11 and 12 should draw really good audiences.

Tough to bitch about being in the play-in games. If they didn’t exist, those teams wouldn’t be Dancing at all. Its always fun to be a part of March Madness, I’m starting to forget what it feels like to root for one of my teams in the Dance! :frowning:

Well, it’s a chance those teams have that they wouldn’t have had last year.

In terms of national interest, that still pretty much starts Thursday IMHO.

Right, but the more teams they add the less getting into the tournament means. If they expand to 96 teams someday it’s not going to feel all that great to get in the tournament, it will just be a part of most normal seasons for above .500 teams - not interesting at all to me.

Think we may have already crossed over into the uninteresting territory. I’ll accept it if they were to give it to us this year and it’s definitely going to be considered a big we earned, but it definitely won’t feel like we were IN the tournament from a fan’s POV if they wouldn’t advance to the thursday/friday games.

It will feel strange watching basketball on a channel made famous by the Menendez Brothers and Judge Ito

Not really true.

There are 4 extra teams added, which means 4 extra games. But, 4 games mean that there are 8 teams playing.

Half those teams would have been in a regular 64 team bracket, but now with the play in, they are having to play on Tuesday.

Apologists will love it! They will be posting about it the next 10 years of Ed’s PSU coaching career! :-\

[quote=“Skeeza, post:16, topic:2083”]Not really true.

There are 4 extra teams added, which means 4 extra games. But, 4 games mean that there are 8 teams playing.

Half those teams would have been in a regular 64 team bracket, but now with the play in, they are having to play on Tuesday.[/quote]

4 at-large bids were added, and there are 2 play-in games involving at-larges. The other 2 games involve auto-bid 16 seeds.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:14, topic:2083”]Right, but the more teams they add the less getting into the tournament means. If they expand to 96 teams someday it’s not going to feel all that great to get in the tournament, it will just be a part of most normal seasons for above .500 teams - not interesting at all to me.

Think we may have already crossed over into the uninteresting territory. I’ll accept it if they were to give it to us this year and it’s definitely going to be considered a big we earned, but it definitely won’t feel like we were IN the tournament from a fan’s POV if they wouldn’t advance to the thursday/friday games.[/quote]

I know what you’re getting at, but I don’t think adding 4 more teams suddenly tips the scale towards uninteresting.

[quote author=noobd link=topic=2126.msg51371#msg51371 date=1299794367]

Right, but the more teams they add the less getting into the tournament means. If they expand to 96 teams someday it's not going to feel all that great to get in the tournament, it will just be a part of most normal seasons for above .500 teams - not interesting at all to me.
In other words, college basketball would become like the bowl system - the games early on are only meaningful at all for some of the schools in them. As time advances, the games finally start to get meaning.