PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

How good is Frazier in PSU historically?

Just curious how his season ranks this season with some past PSU seasons? We definitely know he is having one of the best season of Big Ten players but I am curious how it places. Is he getting into the Titus Ivory, Dan Earl, & Freddie Barnes territory of PSU guards?

pretty damn good

Think when Frazier is done here we are going to consider him one of our all time great players. He is a spectacular basketball player.

500 points, 150 assists, 50 steals. Has anyone else ever done that?

His numbers really are quite good in those 3 categories. He could get 200 assists with at least 4 games left. There’s a saying, “A man doesn’t grow up til his father dies”, and along those same lines, a player doesn’t grow up til the leader leaves. With Talor ahead of Tim, you get to see Tim blossom when he’s given the reins. I saw it with Taran Buie in HS as well, playing in Talor’s shadow, and maybe that hurt him at PSU. From Talor’s days as sort of understudy, when he was a PSU frosh, in some ways he got lucky, forced into leadership when Geary went down. Prior to that, I thought he played almost in the background. IMO, it shows a great player who can pick up the baton when it’s his turn. Lots of pressure doing that. Tim’s done a great job when given the chance. He needs to work on his shooting, but every other aspect looks pretty solid. He’s a very good defensive player, would be one of the fastest players in the NBA, and can jump. I don’t normally believe you can become a shooter/scorer after HS, but we’ll see.

From what I can see the answer is no.
Joe Crispin looks like he may have come closest in his junior year with 649 points, 178 assists but only 36 steels.
Ron Brown could have done it. His per game averages would have done it a couple of time in todays era of 30 plus games per season. Penn State played 25 games and less during his 3 years of basketball.

Tim Frazier does frustrate me sometimes because I feel I need to be in hockey-eye coordination mode to watch him play on television. I am only slightly kidding. Pringle was pretty quick and I regarded him to be one of the fastest I’ve ever seen with the ball. But Frazier is early-Iverson like. And I am starting to suspect he may have a future in the NBA. I absolutely loved Talor Battle and he was one of my all time faves but Frazier’s game translates better to the NBA. Not that he is the better basketball player.

If Tim gets a little scoring help from the rest of the team, he should have a tremendous senior year and be maybe the best guard ever at PSU. He has set up his teammates so many times this year with perfect passes for easy layups, short jumpers, wide open threes – and most of them have been flat out missed. He should have at least 50 more assists this year.

The good news is that if his teammates can improve their shooting up to say the 45% range, then opponents won’t be able to double and triple team him.

Frankly, I don’t think anyone in the league can guard him one on one. And if the Big Ten refs ever decide to call fouls on his drives to the bucket, he’ll be a huge threat from the line, too.

One other thing - he gets a lot of rebounds.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:8, topic:3107”]If Tim gets a little scoring help from the rest of the team, he should have a tremendous senior year and be maybe the best guard ever at PSU. He has set up his teammates so many times this year with perfect passes for easy layups, short jumpers, wide open threes – and most of them have been flat out missed. He should have at least 50 more assists this year.

The good news is that if his teammates can improve their shooting up to say the 45% range, then opponents won’t be able to double and triple team him.

Frankly, I don’t think anyone in the league can guard him one on one. And if the Big Ten refs ever decide to call fouls on his drives to the bucket, he’ll be a huge threat from the line, too.

One other thing - he gets a lot of rebounds.[/quote]

He is averaging 6.7 Freethrow attempts a game this season already. That seems like a really good average for a season, currently it already ranks top ten in PSU history FTA in a season with a few more games to go.

If Tim gets a little scoring help from the rest of the team, he should have a tremendous senior year and be maybe the best guard ever at PSU. He has set up his teammates so many times this year with perfect passes for easy layups, short jumpers, wide open threes -- and most of them have been flat out missed. He should have at least 50 more assists this year.

One other thing - he gets a lot of rebounds.

He is averaging 6.7 Freethrow attempts a game this season already. That seems like a really good average for a season, currently it already ranks top ten in PSU history FTA in a season with a few more games to go.

Yup. Good enough for tops in the Big Ten and 26th in the country (he’s 20th in free throws made). Kind of hard for anyone to complain about him not getting his fair share of calls.

What’s also impressive about Frazier is how few 3pt attempts he’s taken. Only 74.

Next season, with everyone on this team maturing, DJ Newbill coming into the fold, Taylor, Akosa, and maybe Jeter/Glass coming in, we could see Frazier’s shooting percentages jump. He won’t have to fire up shots, and go at it all on his own.

If Frazier could become an even more consistent shooter, then MY WORD, he’ll have a shot at being an All American.

[quote=“rwd5035, post:12, topic:3107”]Next season, with everyone on this team maturing, DJ Newbill coming into the fold, Taylor, Akosa, and maybe Jeter/Glass coming in, we could see Frazier’s shooting percentages jump. He won’t have to fire up shots, and go at it all on his own.

If Frazier could become an even more consistent shooter, then MY WORD, he’ll have a shot at being an All American.[/quote]

Ben Jones wrote an article arguing that he deserves to be an All American for his done this year. I agree he’ll have a chance next year if he keeps his numbers up.

Unless Tim leaves early for the draft! :wink:

I agree he'll have a chance next year if he keeps his numbers up.

Unless Tim leaves early for the draft! :wink:

Wouldn’t he have to transfer to Navy first? :wink:

Please clarify…stats or eyeballs?? or…both?

Stats are greatly effected by the players surrounding teammates.

Has any player seen such stark improvement from one year to the next as we’ve seen with Frazier?

Only one in somewhat recent memory I can think of is Gyasi, but he obviously was on a better team with plenty of scoring options around him.

[quote=“Tom, post:17, topic:3107”]Has any player seen such stark improvement from one year to the next as we’ve seen with Frazier?

Only one in somewhat recent memory I can think of is Gyasi, but he obviously was on a better team with plenty of scoring options around him.[/quote]

During the Wisky game, the announcers said that Tim was the BigTen’s biggest single season scoring improvement since Chambliss Frosh-Soph year under Dunn.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:1, topic:3107"]Just curious how his season ranks this season with some past PSU seasons? We definitely know he is having one of the best season of Big Ten players but I am curious how it places. Is he getting into the Titus Ivory, Dan Earl, & Freddie Barnes territory of PSU guards?[/quote]

Please clarify…stats or eyeballs?? or…both?

Stats are greatly effected by the players surrounding teammates.

I am interested in mostly eyeballs because I have did some stat-finding and I understand where he is in stats wise.

Career-totals for Frazier:
-114 points away from the 1000-point club
-8th in career assists (17 away from the 7th-place Ivory)
-8 steals away from 11th-place Ben Luber

2011-12 single-season totals:
-12th most points
-5th-most assists
-9th-most steals
-8th-most FT’s made
-9th most field goal attempts

As a sidenote - I’ve never been huge fan of using single-season totals as an indicator for historical comparisons in college basketball because some of the great players from the 50’s and 60’s get penalized for playing fewer games (Duff mentioned Ron Brown, and Mark DuMars is another example -21 ppg avg but only 22 games). On a per game basis - since 1951 Frazier has the 13th-highest single-season scoring average.

Eyeball-wise - I would put Frazier’s season up there with Battle’s 2009-10 season (18.5 ppg, 4.1 apg, 5.5 rpg, 1.1 spg) in terms of having to carry an undermanned team from the point guard position. Whenever we run high screen-roll teams try to build a wall in the paint and he still is able to get to the rim or hit that floater in the lane - and he still looks to pass-first.
From a lead-guard position - I think he will be Penn State’s best NBA prospect since Calvin Booth.