PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

How far away are we?

Just what the thread title says…how far away are we from success on the court?

I’ll put three different questions out there, would like to see the boards opinion…

1. How far away are me from an NIT berth?
  2. How far away are we from an NCAA berth?
  3. How far away are we from a top 25 ranking?

In my opinion we will be an NIT squad next year, assuming DJ Newbill doesn’t get hurt. This team desperately needs a shooter, and I think a guy like Newbill adds a valuable second (or third) scoring option for us next year. He shot 53% from the floor and a whopping 43% from three as a freshman. For a team like ours, that’s exactly what the doctor ordered.

I think we’re 2 to 3 years away from an NCAA berth…likely when Geno Thorpe gets here.

Top 25…depends on how Chambers can recruit in the next 5 years.

1. 2
  2. 3
  3. Hopefully 3 or 4

A lot depends on how many scholarships open up imo

Faster than I thought. We need a shooter or two and the whole thing comes together.

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3

This is a team loaded withe underclassmen.

Next year, we only lose Cam. The year after we only lose Timmy. Although Timmy may seem like a big loss, I think we make up for it with kids that are ready to step in.

So many sophs and freshmen, I think the team is loaded for 2014

Hard to say right now. The beginning of next year will reveal a lot when we see what kind of progress these guys make in the off-season. Too many variables until we figure all of that out though.

This is hard to say, but I do think we can make the NIT next year.

I think a lot depends on Alexis and Ackerman. If they can’t average more than 10 MPG in a year or two, then I’m much more uncertain about the progress we can achieve.

[quote=“TreysWay3, post:2, topic:2990”]1. 2
2. 3
3. Hopefully 3 or 4

A lot depends on how many scholarships open up imo[/quote]

Agree.

Find a shooter and find a reliable (even if not a first option) post man, they’ll be OK

I’m going to say

1. NIT next year
  2. NCAAs in 2 years
  3. Preseason #1 in 3 years. :slight_smile:

This reminds me of a post UncleLar made back when DeChellis was new.

He was talking about how historically, new coach will actually take a step back in their second year. He followed it up with examples of a lot of recent coaching changes as well as legendary coach’s record.

Unfortuneately, that post was lost during one of the pennstatehoops transitions. I think we are on PSH 5.0

I’d be disappointed if this team took a step back next year, if only due to the fact there’s only one senior and there’s a transfer raring to go to take his place.

If I was to soley look at personnel, Id err on the side of time. However, the one variable thats difficult to take into account is hustle. Geez, do these guys work hard which is a direct result of the coaching. The hustle and determination makes up for some deficiencies in the personnel dept which makes me believe this team has a decent shot at an NIT berth next season. That said, the NCAA and national ranking areas of the question trouble me more. Do Borovnjak and Graham show glimmers of potential on the blocks? Yes. Do I feel that PSU can be a nationally ranked squad or NCAA caliber team without a stud C or PF? Probably not. PC has his hands full trying to secure us a stud down low, before, in my opinion, the team can sustain high levels of play without needing to hit 12 3’s to win a Big Ten game. All and all, Im completely sold on PC and look forward to great things in the future. Regrettably, PC is majorly ham-strung with needing more available schollies to build “his” team.

Hard to say right now. The beginning of next year will reveal a lot when we see what kind of progress these guys make in the off-season. Too many variables until we figure all of that out though.

This reminds me of a post UncleLar made back when DeChellis was new.

He was talking about how historically, new coach will actually take a step back in their second year. He followed it up with examples of a lot of recent coaching changes as well as legendary coach’s record.

Unfortuneately, that post was lost during one of the pennstatehoops transitions. I think we are on PSH 5.0

That was awesome stuff, and it pains me that we’ve lost all the archives!

I would be disappointed, because taking a step back form this year would make the team truly terrible. I expect improvement next year, but getting to even NIT even would be a pretty big step. It isn’t going to be additions that determine how this team improves, it will be player development.

This off season should tell us a lot about how good this coaching staff is a developing their players.

Realistically I think NIT in 2 years. More than that it is too early to eve say they will get to that level let alone when.

I think Pat chambers will have to comprehensively grade his players on shooting, hustle and the ability to work in “His System” next year. If 1-4 of the Lowest rank guys can be run off to generate scholarships then PSU will join the larger college Bball culture and be successful. The best recruiting classes are big classes when guys start recruiting each other.

We will know at the end of the year when certain guys get their release or have made progress in his system. The only question is whether the AD will allow it. (Curley would not have I presume). If PSU stays with honoring 4 years scholarships irrespective of ability to play in the Big 10, and under the coach’s instruction, then I am not sure Pat will be long for this job.

The May hire really delayed things by at least a year as these Kids did deserve a chance in his system to perform.

[quote=“charnold, post:15, topic:2990”]I think Pat chambers will have to comprehensively grade his players on shooting, hustle and the ability to work in “His System” next year. If 1-4 of the Lowest rank guys can be run off to generate scholarships then PSU will join the larger college Bball culture and be successful. The best recruiting classes are big classes when guys start recruiting each other.

We will know at the end of the year when certain guys get their release or have made progress in his system. The only question is whether the AD will allow it. (Curley would not have I presume). If PSU stays with honoring 4 years scholarships irrespective of ability to play in the Big 10, and under the coach’s instruction, then I am not sure Pat will be long for this job.

The May hire really delayed things by at least a year as these Kids did deserve a chance in his system to perform.[/quote] I don’t think PC will try and run any kid off the team. There could be a kid or two that realizes they are never going to play and wants to move on to somewhere they can actually play instead of riding the pine for years. Nothing to complicated about it

I think Pat chambers will have to comprehensively grade his players on shooting, hustle and the ability to work in "His System" next year. If 1-4 of the Lowest rank guys can be run off to generate scholarships then PSU will join the larger college Bball culture and be successful. The best recruiting classes are big classes when guys start recruiting each other.

The May hire really delayed things by at least a year as these Kids did deserve a chance in his system to perform.

I don’t think PC will try and run any kid off the team. There could be a kid or two that realizes they are never going to play and wants to move on to somewhere they can actually play instead of riding the pine for years. Nothing to complicated about it

The day that Pat Chambers “runs a kid off” is the day that he runs me off as a fan. >:(

[quote=“charnold, post:15, topic:2990”]I think Pat chambers will have to comprehensively grade his players on shooting, hustle and the ability to work in “His System” next year. If 1-4 of the Lowest rank guys can be run off to generate scholarships then PSU will join the larger college Bball culture and be successful. The best recruiting classes are big classes when guys start recruiting each other.

The May hire really delayed things by at least a year as these Kids did deserve a chance in his system to perform.[/quote]

All well and good unless you happen to be one of those 1-4 guys (or their family) who get run off. If that’s what it takes, I prefer not to “join the larger Bball culture”.

I don’t see how this team takes a step back next year or even the following year barring injuries. I’ll say that NIT is at least a 50/50 situation for next year. We’ll be very close. If Brandon Taylor is ready to contribute from day one the %s go up dramatically. I have to think that DJ will more than replace what Cam is currently providing. If we make the NIT next year then I think we become 50/50 to make the NCAA the following year, but if we don’t then I think NCAA will have to wait until year 4 for PC.

I think there is a good chance that one of the freshman centers will ultimately decide to transfer at the end of the year. No inside knowledge, but at best one of them will ever get significant PT. 4 out 1 in doesn’t afford much PT to 2 centers unless they can really play. Sasa is a 22 year old RS soph and he’s from Europe, so every year his return is questionable. So, there is a very good chance that 2 schollies will open up over the next 2 years.

[quote="charnold, post:15, topic:2990"]I think Pat chambers will have to comprehensively grade his players on shooting, hustle and the ability to work in "His System" next year. If 1-4 of the Lowest rank guys can be run off to generate scholarships then PSU will join the larger college Bball culture and be successful. The best recruiting classes are big classes when guys start recruiting each other.

The May hire really delayed things by at least a year as these Kids did deserve a chance in his system to perform.[/quote] I don’t think PC will try and run any kid off the team. There could be a kid or two that realizes they are never going to play and wants to move on to somewhere they can actually play instead of riding the pine for years. Nothing to complicated about it

The day that Pat Chambers “runs a kid off” is the day that he runs me off as a fan. >:(

+1