PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

How do we rank $$$ wise?

This figures are always suspect when it comes to what accounting methodologies are used but just for jollies sake here’s the $$$ as the are reported for Title IX.

CNN “Nothing but Net”

Like you said, Lar, these numbers are suspect. PSU “made” $3M and Duke lost $2M. I’m sure these numbers wouldn’t pass FAASB muster.

An old PSU friend would say…“figures can lie, but liars can’t figure.” :stuck_out_tongue:

I totally agree. The only thing that people care about are the figures that are written down, but not how you get to those figures.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:1710”]This figures are always suspect when it comes to what accounting methodologies are used but just for jollies sake here’s the $$$ as the are reported for Title IX.

CNN “Nothing but Net”[/quote]

Does the BTN make that much of a difference?

I think the 2 takeaways are:

1. Duke SPENDS about 3x what PSU but doesn’t come close to even doubling our revenue (hence the diminishing returns of winning)
  2. This is hoops only… I bet the reverse is true if you looked at the football numbers. I’d bet Duke mines the football revenue sharing of football to make up the profit shortfall of basketball, similar to what we do right now with the hoops revenue sharing.

I think that highlights the challenge to be consistently competitive in both revenue sports. Not too many programs out there that can do both consistently.

[quote="UncleLar, post:1, topic:1710"]This figures are always suspect when it comes to what accounting methodologies are used but just for jollies sake here's the $$$ as the are reported for Title IX.

CNN “Nothing but Net”[/quote]

Does the BTN make that much of a difference?

Difference from what?

The BTN is a cash cow and makes a huge difference. It was a brilliant, gutsy move by Delaney. Every other conference wants to do it. I suspect that 25 percent of my TV watching is BTN.