PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

How do we feel about this roster?

Add in Fant for argument sake.

http://pennstatehoops.com/recruiting/scholarship_matrix.php?gradYear=2011

Woodyard would be the only senior. And assuming Oliver would be granted a 6th year, Sasa and Frazier would be the only juniors. It will be a very young team. But I think one that has a lot of talent top to bottom. Can it compete with the rest of the Big Ten?

[quote=“mjg, post:1, topic:1375”]Add in Fant for argument sake.

Woodyard would be the only senior. And assuming Oliver would be granted a 6th year, Sasa and Frazier would be the only juniors. It will be a very young team. But I think one that has a lot of talent top to bottom. Can it compete with the rest of the Big Ten?[/quote]

I think it’s tough to say. I’ve only seen Frazier and Woodyard in meaningful minutes.

[quote="mjg, post:1, topic:1375"]Add in Fant for argument sake.

Woodyard would be the only senior. And assuming Oliver would be granted a 6th year, Sasa and Frazier would be the only juniors. It will be a very young team. But I think one that has a lot of talent top to bottom. Can it compete with the rest of the Big Ten?[/quote]

I think it’s tough to say. I’ve only seen Frazier and Woodyard in meaningful minutes.

I’d say only Frazier. Woodyard hasn’t really played many “meaningful” minutes.

[quote=“mjg, post:1, topic:1375”]Add in Fant for argument sake.

Completely dependent upon one of the frosh centers being BT ready. Alexis has the bulk but Ackerman might have the skill set.

Great point. Not sure I like the odds of the only depth at the 5 being two unproven and non Top50 freshmen.

How has ED done with player development? I’ve only been a big fan over the last couple seasons, so its hard for me to tell.

[quote="byake, post:4, topic:1375"]Completely dependent upon one of the frosh centers being BT ready. Alexis has the bulk but Ackerman might have the skill set.[/quote]

Great point. Not sure I like the odds of the only depth at the 5 being two unproven and non Top50 freshmen.

How has ED done with player development? I’ve only been a big fan over the last couple seasons, so its hard for me to tell.

Not very good. Our best players typically came into the program with that “it” factor.

I think it more depends on what the guys we haven’t seen do this year (Oliver and Marshall and the Freshmen). And how the guys that will be here progress in the next two years (Frazier, Camm and Sasa). We may be able to get away with a lineup that doesn’t call on Alexis and Ackerman to play until they get their feet wet.

And by the way did you check out the height we have on that roster. 6 count it 6 guys 6’8" or taller.

Check this lineup: PG Frazier 6’2" SG Travis 6’8" SF Oliver 6’8" PF Sasa 6’8" C Alexis 6’11"

Agreed. Going to be interesting this year. About a month ago, I heard that Bowman, Marshall were doing well, and Oliver was shooting well.

I don’t want to steer this conversation in the wrong direction, but I would be very surprised if Buie stayed 4 years. I think he is gone after the first.

Just a gut feeling of coarse. I think the main reason for my hunch is the article where he and Talor are interviewed. Taran stated that if Battle would have left early for the draft, he would be gone.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:10, topic:1375”]I don’t want to steer this conversation in the wrong direction, but I would be very surprised if Buie stayed 4 years. I think he is gone after the first.

Just a gut feeling of coarse. I think the main reason for my hunch is the article where he and Talor are interviewed. Taran stated that if Battle would have left early for the draft, he would be gone.[/quote]

If he leaves, he leaves. If he is that good and the NBA comes knocking, then he should go. If he leaves for other reasons, then that’s his business. I’d wish him the best. But unless it happens, why speculate. He’s here now and let’s see where it goes.

Completely dependent upon one of the frosh centers being BT ready. Alexis has the bulk but Ackerman might have the skill set.

Of course they are unproven. Most of that roster, with the exception of Frazier, is unproven as of now. I was looking at it more from the standpoint of how do we feel about the group of recruits on that roster, given that we haven’t seen them play at all, with few exceptions.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:8, topic:1375”]And by the way did you check out the height we have on that roster. 6 count it 6 guys 6’8" or taller.

Check this lineup: PG Frazier 6’2" SG Travis 6’8" SF Oliver 6’8" PF Sasa 6’8" C Alexis 6’11"[/quote]

Why is Travis at SG? He seems like a point forward, ESPN lists outside shooting as his major weakness. Oliver has logged like 24 minutes and 3 points total. At least switch Oliver and Travis in that lineup.

I know you were just going for height, but that lineup wouldn’t win a game. :smiley: Here is a tall lineup that could compete:

Frazier 6’2, Woodyard 6’5, Travis 6’8, Graham 6’8, Alexis 6’11

Totally unknown…Let’s see how this year plays out first. Maybe a couple of the non seniors will step forward.

So this topic is extremely premature and we haven’t seen the majority of these guys in a game…but who cares, it’s still an interested topic.

So in two years, I could see this depth chart (assuming we land Fant):

PG - Frazier, Lewis
SG - Buie, Bowman
SF - Marshall, Travis, Woodyard
PF - Fant, Graham, Oliver
C - Sasa, Alexis, Ackerman

And the good thing is, in 3 years the team looks almost exactly the same w/ Woodyard being the only player gone. I think that team could be quite good in 3 years. At least Ed has assembled some young guys that appear to have promise.

I remember thinking the same thing when we had Battle, Brooks, Jackson, Jones, and Babb as young players. Then last year happened.

I just can’t look that far forward.

But the question is, does ED develop players? If he doesn’t, then having a young team isn’t really a benefit. If a coach does develop talent, a young team is a plus.

I really hope none of this will matter. While I want the team go undefeated this season, I want them to do real bad at the same time. I think the team has to do real bad for there to be a coaching change. Worse case scenario is that the team does OK (NIT) and ED is retained… A win is 1) NCAA tournament or 2) ED being fired, and an OK season would likely achieve neither.

You guys may deem that as a crazy viewpoint, but those are the only two outcomes I want… for the team to dance or for ED to be fired. Anything else is bad.

[quote=“noobd, post:17, topic:1375”]I really hope none of this will matter. While I want the team go undefeated this season, I want them to do real bad at the same time. I think the team has to do real bad for there to be a coaching change. Worse case scenario is that the team does OK (NIT) and ED is retained… A win is 1) NCAA tournament or 2) ED being fired, and an OK season would likely achieve neither.

You guys may deem that as a crazy viewpoint, but those are the only two outcomes I want… for the team to dance or for ED to be fired. Anything else is bad.[/quote]

Agree 100%, although I much prefer the NCAA tournament option.

And the good thing is, in 3 years the team looks almost exactly the same w/ Woodyard being the only player gone. I think that team could be quite good in 3 years. At least Ed has assembled some young guys that appear to have promise.

I remember thinking the same thing when we had Battle, Brooks, Jackson, Jones, and Babb as young players. Then last year happened.

Hell, I remember last year being excited to see Babb, Edwards, Ott this year playing with the rest of the guys we have… who could have guessed at the start of the season we’d lose all of them. It’s pretty pointless to look this far ahead, we don’t know what this team will look like 6 months from today, let alone a year or two down the line. Things move quickly these days - you could name a million possible scenarios that could play out between now and then.

[quote="Finding Forrester, post:15, topic:1375"]And the good thing is, in 3 years the team looks almost exactly the same w/ Woodyard being the only player gone. I think that team could be quite good in 3 years. At least Ed has assembled some young guys that appear to have promise.[/quote]

Me neither. Can’t look past this year. Yes, bunch of guys will be gone next year, but how the guys who won’t be gone play this year is key. If Buie, Bowman, Sasa, etc. play well, it bodes well for the future. They’ll be able to absorb frosh much better the following year. I think the worst thing would be for last year’s 4 starters to dominate playing time AND the team be mediocre. Then the next year could be a disaster, inexperienced returning players trying to play with frosh, sort of the blind leading the blind. If two newbies start, which I hope(because by default, that’d mean they deserve it over at least one returning player, but really two), and some others get serious time, the team should be competitive, and the future bright. But the same 4(5 including Frazier) with one newbie who has to fill big shoes for Babb, will not bode well, IMO. 3-16 maybe goes to 7-11 in that case. If Sullinger can be predicted as a potential POTY in the Big 10, PSU frosh can make an impact…and better.