PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

How do people feel about this season?

I am cautiously optimistic about this season - I think it is the season Ed was planning towards when he redshirted a couple of these guys. I don’t know if it will pay off or not, but I am hoping they can win at least 9 big ten games. Anything close to a repeat of last year would not bode well for the program, obviously.

I don’t buy this at all. It almost seems to suggest that Ed cared little for last season which would be absurd if it was true. We lost a very good recruit and I think it could be blamed at least partially on the awful season we had last year.

As for this year, the 2 things we need to have happen in order for us to make any noise are the holdovers from last season need to step it up and we need to get some very good play out of some of the new guys. To the 1st point, I just don’t see Brooks or Jones making great strides all of the sudden after all this time. As for the 2nd point, when was the last time a freshman came in here and elevated the whole team to great things? If we add Talor Battle’s freshman year to this team does that get us an NCAA bid? What about Claxton’s? i don’t think so. Cornley, maybe since that’s where we need the most help. But is anyone here really expecting that knid of play out of any of the new frontcourt guys? I see an NIT bid as the ceiling for this team and I’m not really counting on that. I’ve been wrong before so who knows but I think if anyone is expecting more that that then they aren’t really looking at this very objectively.

Better than last year. I’m just not sure how much. 7 conference wins at worst. 9-10 would be optimistic. They have to beat UM, NW, Iowa and IU, and I think they will. After that, not sure. Graham and/or Oliver is going to have to step up. I liked Sasa, and thought he should’ve played over Ott last year. In the backcourt, I see Taran an improvement over Chris, not shooting, but everything else. Chris was 7th in baskets inside the arc(20) despite being 3rd in minutes. Frazier had 42, Sasa 10 despite only playing 123 minutes vs. 920 for Chris. You have to be able to beat your man and penetrate. It keeps defenses honest. I hear Bowman and Marshall are good, so they could be interesting. If Oliver/Graham aren’t important contributors, PSU will have to play small. They’ve done that for 3 straight years, but with loss of Jamelle, it didn’t work. Last year, playing big didn’t work either. Once again, a bit nervous about the front line. Graham could really be important. He’d better be better than Ott. Oliver more of a 3.

Posted this before I read hewey, and sadly, he may be dead right. Blunt, but possibly right. Certainly objective. PSU seems unable to fix what’s broken. Still, if Graham is better than Ott, it can’t be worse. If he’s not, why is he here?

[quote="psu_DC, post:1, topic:1390"]I am cautiously optimistic about this season -[b] I think it is the season Ed was planning towards when he redshirted a couple of these guys. [/b] I don't know if it will pay off or not, but I am hoping they can win at least 9 big ten games. Anything close to a repeat of last year would not bode well for the program, obviously.[/quote]

I don’t buy this at all. It almost seems to suggest that Ed cared little for last season which would be absurd if it was true. We lost a very good recruit and I think it could be blamed at least partially on the awful season we had last year.

As for this year, the 2 things we need to have happen in order for us to make any noise are the holdovers from last season need to step it up and we need to get some very good play out of some of the new guys. To the 1st point, I just don’t see Brooks or Jones making great strides all of the sudden after all this time. As for the 2nd point, when was the last time a freshman came in here and elevated the whole team to great things? If we add Talor Battle’s freshman year to this team does that get us an NCAA bid? What about Claxton’s? i don’t think so. Cornley, maybe since that’s where we need the most help. But is anyone here really expecting that knid of play out of any of the new frontcourt guys? I see an NIT bid as the ceiling for this team and I’m not really counting on that. I’ve been wrong before so who knows but I think if anyone is expecting more that that then they aren’t really looking at this very objectively.

I don’t see where the first statement would suggest the other.

I saw Graham with Marshall, Bowman, and Woodyard. He didn’t really stand out in height. As of right now we have 1 center IMO. I think Brooks will be the backup.

I think our guards could be dynamic but I think Ed is going to play Jackson at the 3 alot. Unless Jones gets in foul trouble and Brooks slides to the 5 and Jackson to the 4. Either way, I want to see a lot of Battle, Buie, Bowman, and Marshall. Let’s run!

[quote="psu_DC, post:1, topic:1390"][b] I think it is the season Ed was planning towards when he redshirted a couple of these guys. [/b][/quote] [b]It almost seems to suggest that Ed cared little for last season[/b]
I don't see where the first statement would suggest the other.

Really? I read the original statement as saying Ed redshirted guys to gear up for this season, the season Ed was “planning towards”. That suggests to me that last season was an afterthought.

[quote="psu_DC, post:1, topic:1390"]I am cautiously optimistic about this season -[b] I think it is the season Ed was planning towards when he redshirted a couple of these guys. [/b] I don't know if it will pay off or not, but I am hoping they can win at least 9 big ten games. Anything close to a repeat of last year would not bode well for the program, obviously.[/quote]

I didn’t mean to imply that he didn’t care about last year. I meant he redshirted these guys looking towards an NCAA run with Talor as a senior. I think he did have that in his mind when he made the decision. I think he knew realistically that the NCAA was going to be a tall order for him without an older and experienced team

I think he was planning on using this season to save his job, because I would imagine that he needs to get to the NCAA at some point to stay here

I didn’t mean to imply that he didn’t care about last year. I meant he redshirted these guys looking towards an NCAA run with Talor as a senior. I think he did have that in his mind when he made the decision. I think he knew realistically that the NCAA was going to be a tall order for him without an older and experienced team

I think he was planning on using this season to save his job, because I would imagine that he needs to get to the NCAA at some point to stay here

Can you refresh my memory and tell me who the non medical redshirts are? I just find it really hard to believe that a guy who has been here as long as Ed has without an NCAA bid would be looking towards year 8 as the year where we finally make things happen. Only at PSU I guess.

Can you refresh my memory and tell me who the non medical redshirts are? I just find it really hard to believe that a guy who has been here as long as Ed has without an NCAA bid would be looking towards year 8 as the year where we finally make things happen. Only at PSU I guess.

Jones and Jackson redshirted at the same time. I don’t know, maybe there wasn’t much else to it. Either way, I think Ed needs to get to the NCAA or at least damn close this year. What PSU has done more poorly than anything - is fail to keep momentum once they have it (i.e. after the NIT win). Ed needs to get that momentum back asap this year

Jones was a true RS. Jackson got hurt and Ed was forced to RS him.

6.5 conference wins is my O/U number. Indiana, Michigan x2, Iowa x2, Northwestern x2.

Maybe steal a game at the BJC vs Minnesota or Illinois and a random game from the big dogs. They might drop a game against the above teams. The team is going to need to rely on Brooks and Jones to not only stay healthy, but to play well.

When Talor was a freshman, I was looking so forward to this season as the potential best season since the first year of the BJC. Now, not so much. It could happen. I hope it happens. If there’s no NCAA bid, I’ll be joining plenty of you on the “Ed must go” bandwagon. I’m probably a little too patient.

I especially hope they do well because I want to feel good about attending my first Big Ten Tournament in March, but that’s selfish on my part.

To do well, I think they have to do this:

When they play zone defense, Brooks has to be the middle guy, the shot blocker. He’s more expendable than Jones on the D end. Also, they need to run more alley oop plays for Brooks to get easy baskets and keep his attitude sky high.

DJ will have to hit from 3 at a 40%+ clip. Any time I’ve seen a PSU team do well, the 4 position surprises with their trey shooting ability e.g. Gaudio, Tyler Smith, Cornley’s senior year.

Talor will have to shoot better from 3 and from the line.

Frazier is going to have to show Pringle-like improvement from his last year.

I think Taran is going to do better than everyone (but KidC) thinks he’ll do. When brothers play together most of their lives, their team chemisty in hoops is better than with someone they’ve just met or even played with for three years.

With the depth at guard that this team will supposedly have, I think it will be a shame if Ed doesn’t showcase more press defense than we’ve seen since he’s been here. Not to the point Minnesota does, but close.

If the team doesn’t even make the NIT, I’ll probably magically transform into someone like Rokk or Guido from the PennLive board.

It’s the tenth anniversary since PSU’s magical run to the Sweet Sixteen.

With that said, I feel this team needs a Gyasi Cline-Heard clone to step up and be counted to balance Battle (JC3) and the talented backcourt. Unfortunately, I don’t see a GCH clone in the mix with this team. Experience, sure, but it will take more than experience to battle with the bigs in a rugged Big Ten.

Neither do I see a Titus Ivory or even a Jon Crispin type right now, but I’ll take the combo of Buie/Frazier to see if they can step it up and run with Talor. And that’s where the unknowns begin. In 2001, we had the knowns of the Crispin boys and Ivory. Next thing you know, the unknowns stepped up. Gyasi in a big way and Tyler Smith in an equally important way. DJ could very well step into Tyler’s role and shine, but will Andrew Jones be that Gyasi figure to give PSU that much needed presence in the post. Important question. Brooks is a wild card, but then again, he’s always been one.

I don’t know if you can even make a comparison of these two teams beyond JC3 and TB12, being their senior seasons in which they both were and are looking for their one and only trip to the Dance while playing alongside their younger brothers (love that point Millionaire makes about the Battle/Buie chemistry). But the 2001 blueprint is what it might take for PSU to get there. Some surprising wins OOC (at Va Tech, at Ole Miss, Maryland). No, there is no trip to Rupp Arena or anything close to that marquee venue, but PSU has to come out flying in November and December to gain the confidence and chemistry necessary to compete in the Big Ten.

As for the Big Ten, this is not 2001. That year was pretty much a two horse race with both MSU and Illinois at least a head if not a shoulder above the competition. This year, the Big Ten is a different beast with a lot more Sweet 16 type teams. And it doesn’t help matters that PSU will only get to play two of the weaker teams (Indy and Iowa) once apiece.

So what does all this mean…I really don’t have a clue :slight_smile: But from the looks of things, PSU might have to look at the 2001 team and do what that team did…go small and try to create some matchup problems. With the loss of Sasa, the frontcourt just got really thin for this team. Yes, ED will probably look to get as much run out of his three-headed senior frontcourt. But my feeling is, less might be more in regards to playing those three together. I really feel that DJ will be a solidifying factor up front, but after that ED will need to keep both AJ and Brooks fresh over the course of each game and the season. So playing them 30-35 minutes a game could really run them into the ground by the time the Big Ten season rolls around.

I’d like to see a lot of Battle, Buie, Frazier and any combination of Marshall, Bowman, Woodyard (and maybe Oliver) filling out the PG, SG and SF positions. Oliver and now Graham will have to help out up front, but if ED can keep a DJ, Brooks, Jones rotation up front for mostly two spots, instead of three, he might be able to get away with having to throw both those young players into the fire so soon. What will probably happen is ED will go with those three to start every game, then see who gets into foul trouble first and then go smaller. That will do nothing but burn our bigs out quickly if he takes that approach IMO. And while it’s easy to say, let’s run, have you seen the talent around the league…most teams, this side of Bo Ryan, can and will run when given the opportunity and be successful at it.

I’d like to say that they have a chance to Dance this season and with Battle steering the ship and running alongside his brother, I guess anything is possible. But this team has NIT written all over it. Lace em up and prove me wrong boys.

8th or 9th in the B10. :-\

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:13, topic:1390”]So what does all this mean…I really don’t have a clue :slight_smile: But from the looks of things, PSU might have to look at the 2001 team and do what that team did…go small and try to create some matchup problems. With the loss of Sasa, the frontcourt just got really thin for this team. Yes, ED will probably look to get as much run out of his three-headed senior frontcourt. But my feeling is, less might be more in regards to playing those three together. I really feel that DJ will be a solidifying factor up front, but after that ED will need to keep both AJ and Brooks fresh over the course of each game and the season. So playing them 30-35 minutes a game could really run them into the ground by the time the Big Ten season rolls around.

I’d like to see a lot of Battle, Buie, Frazier and any combination of Marshall, Bowman, Woodyard (and maybe Oliver) filling out the PG, SG and SF positions. Oliver and now Graham will have to help out up front, but if ED can keep a DJ, Brooks, Jones rotation up front for mostly two spots, instead of three, he might be able to get away with having to throw both those young players into the fire so soon. What will probably happen is ED will go with those three to start every game, then see who gets into foul trouble first and then go smaller. That will do nothing but burn our bigs out quickly if he takes that approach IMO. And while it’s easy to say, let’s run, have you seen the talent around the league…most teams, this side of Bo Ryan, can and will run when given the opportunity and be successful at it.[/quote]

I’ve been suggesting that Ed will rider DJ, Brooks and Jones as much as possible this season; however, I think NitIillini is on to something. I think it’s more likely we could get meaningful minutes as the 3 spot from Marshall, Bowman, and even Oliver then trying to get meaningful minutes from Graham and Oliver in the frontcourt. From the little I’ve read, it does sound like Marshall and Bowman could be contributors this season but I don’t think that can come at the expense of Battle, Buie, or Frazier. Also, the team is going to need to get at least a few minutes a game from Graham and Oliver up front but to Illini’s point, if Ed can rotate the three sr forwards between the 4 and 5 spots then he’ll keep them fresh.

So what does all this mean...I really don't have a clue :) But from the looks of things, PSU might have to look at the 2001 team and do what that team did...go small and try to create some matchup problems. With the loss of Sasa, the frontcourt just got really thin for this team. Yes, ED will probably look to get as much run out of his three-headed senior frontcourt. But my feeling is, less might be more in regards to playing those three together. I really feel that DJ will be a solidifying factor up front, but after that ED will need to keep both AJ and Brooks fresh over the course of each game and the season. So playing them 30-35 minutes a game could really run them into the ground by the time the Big Ten season rolls around.

I’d like to see a lot of Battle, Buie, Frazier and any combination of Marshall, Bowman, Woodyard (and maybe Oliver) filling out the PG, SG and SF positions. Oliver and now Graham will have to help out up front, but if ED can keep a DJ, Brooks, Jones rotation up front for mostly two spots, instead of three, he might be able to get away with having to throw both those young players into the fire so soon. What will probably happen is ED will go with those three to start every game, then see who gets into foul trouble first and then go smaller. That will do nothing but burn our bigs out quickly if he takes that approach IMO. And while it’s easy to say, let’s run, have you seen the talent around the league…most teams, this side of Bo Ryan, can and will run when given the opportunity and be successful at it.

I’ve been suggesting that Ed will rider DJ, Brooks and Jones as much as possible this season; however, I think NitIillini is on to something. I think it’s more likely we could get meaningful minutes as the 3 spot from Marshall, Bowman, and even Oliver then trying to get meaningful minutes from Graham and Oliver in the frontcourt. From the little I’ve read, it does sound like Marshall and Bowman could be contributors this season but I don’t think that can come at the expense of Battle, Buie, or Frazier. Also, the team is going to need to get at least a few minutes a game from Graham and Oliver up front but to Illini’s point, if Ed can rotate the three sr forwards between the 4 and 5 spots then he’ll keep them fresh.

My point exactly FF. I think ED has to do that. One, it will keep the senior bigs fresh…who starts and who comes off the bench, who cares (though probably DJ and AJ get the starting nod at 4 and 5, since Brooks has a propensity to pick up the early foul. Two, it gives Marshall, Bowman, Woodyard and/or Oliver some run without taking away needed time from the Big Three in the backcourt. Three, it gives Oliver and Graham some run up front, but not too much where other bigs in the Big Ten will exploit that matchup.

Of course none of us on the outside looking in have any clue about what works and what doesn’t work from a chemistry or a defensive standpoint. I’ve coached a lot of kids and teams to know that offense is only part of the game (the lesser part in a lot of cases). It will be the guys who get after it on the defensive side of the court who will see their time on the court increase.

So what does all this mean...I really don't have a clue :) But from the looks of things, PSU might have to look at the 2001 team and do what that team did...go small and try to create some matchup problems. With the loss of Sasa, the frontcourt just got really thin for this team. Yes, ED will probably look to get as much run out of his three-headed senior frontcourt. But my feeling is, less might be more in regards to playing those three together. I really feel that DJ will be a solidifying factor up front, but after that ED will need to keep both AJ and Brooks fresh over the course of each game and the season. So playing them 30-35 minutes a game could really run them into the ground by the time the Big Ten season rolls around.

Agreed. Ed rode DJ, Brooks and Jones last year without success. Time for some change, IMO. I see Brooks playing for minutes at the 4 with DJ, or maybe even the 5, or at least a lineup where the 4/5 is DJ and Brooks. Graham at the 4/5. The other 7, Talor, Taran, Billy, Tim, Jermaine, Tre, Cam playing the 1,2,3. If Graham isn’t ready to give minutes, Ed will have to go small kind of all the time, having no choice.

Not to pigeon hole guys but is Oliver really a 3? His skill set in the little we have seen him play really resembles more of a 4.

I think he can play either spot. Similar to Brooks, but I think he has a little better feel for the game.

I hope you’re right. I think the desire to put him in the 3 spot comes from some claims that he has a good looking jump shot. If I recall correctly, I think he had a knack for shot blocking in high school.