PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Hotel Question

I’m coming up for a game (actually 2 - MBB NW & WBB Minn) and my friend wanted to stay in town and walk instead of driving all the time.

Has anyone stayed at the Atherton? Is it OK?

I guess the Days Inn and the Nittany Lion Inn are booked.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

The Atherton used to be a Hilton, if that helps.

Strange that the Days Inn and NLI are booked.

[quote=“think1, post:1, topic:3003”]I’m coming up for a game (actually 2 - MBB NW & WBB Minn) and my friend wanted to stay in town and walk instead of driving all the time.

Has anyone stayed at the Atherton? Is it OK?

I guess the Days Inn and the Nittany Lion Inn are booked.

Any other suggestions? Thanks![/quote]

It’s just as good as either of those.

I just stayed at the Atherton last weekend … it isn’t “great” (no pool, beds aren’t very good, etc…), but certainly more than adequate in my book, and a pretty good location. And it was only $65 /night, too, so no complaints!

The Atherton is only a block from a Blue Loop stop as well.

Autoport has an entire remodeled section and Days Inn is right across the street. They are both OK hotels and convenient to BJC. Just at the bottom of University Drive.

The Ramada, not the Days Inn, is across the street from the Autoport. Neither of them is what I would call downtown.

But you guys are forgetting that “hampton inn, state college” is the offical hotel sponsor of Penn State Basketball. :wink:

Steve Jones would be very dissapointed if you don’t stay there. Besides, the traveling teams have been known to eat at the Damon’s there in the same lot. the OSU team came in for a team meal there once while I was there, and I saw Rickey Dudley walk in… (back in the day). I didn’t think it was possible for a human being to be that large. :o

[quote=“MarkH, post:8, topic:3003”]But you guys are forgetting that “hampton inn, state college” is the offical hotel sponsor of Penn State Basketball. :wink:

Steve Jones would be very dissapointed if you don’t stay there. Besides, the traveling teams have been known to eat at the Damon’s there in the same lot. the OSU team came in for a team meal there once while I was there, and I saw Rickey Dudley walk in… (back in the day). I didn’t think it was possible for a human being to be that large. :o[/quote]

That reminds me of a guy I ran into one summer while I worked at Hersheypark. I can’t remember his name, but it was a big guy from Temple in the summer of '88. His legs were too long to fit in the roller coaster and get the safety bars down. I had to explain to him that he couldn’t ride. I expected the worst (not for any reason other than all guests expect to get their way – but his size was intimidating), but was pleasantly surprised when he hopped out, smiled and said “no problem”. I guess Chaney taught his players how to act in public too.

But you guys are forgetting that "hampton inn, state college" is the offical hotel sponsor of Penn State Basketball. ;)

Steve Jones would be very dissapointed if you don’t stay there. Besides, the traveling teams have been known to eat at the Damon’s there in the same lot. the OSU team came in for a team meal there once while I was there, and I saw Rickey Dudley walk in… (back in the day). I didn’t think it was possible for a human being to be that large. :o

That reminds me of a guy I ran into one summer while I worked at Hersheypark. I can’t remember his name, but it was a big guy from Temple in the summer of '88. His legs were too long to fit in the roller coaster and get the safety bars down. I had to explain to him that he couldn’t ride. I expected the worst (not for any reason other than all guests expect to get their way – but his size was intimidating), but was pleasantly surprised when he hopped out, smiled and said “no problem”. I guess Chaney taught his players how to act in public too.

Ramon Rivas?

[quote="MarkH, post:8, topic:3003"]But you guys are forgetting that "hampton inn, state college" is the offical hotel sponsor of Penn State Basketball. ;)

Steve Jones would be very dissapointed if you don’t stay there. Besides, the traveling teams have been known to eat at the Damon’s there in the same lot. the OSU team came in for a team meal there once while I was there, and I saw Rickey Dudley walk in… (back in the day). I didn’t think it was possible for a human being to be that large. :o[/quote]

Ramon Rivas?

Tim Perry and Mike Vreeswyk were also on that team.

[quote="MarkH, post:8, topic:3003"]But you guys are forgetting that "hampton inn, state college" is the offical hotel sponsor of Penn State Basketball. ;)

Ramon Rivas?

Tim Perry and Mike Vreeswyk were also on that team.

It wasn’t Ramon Rivas. It might have been Tim Perry, although in my mind, I’m thinking it was someone else. It was either an '88 or '89 graduate – can’t remember for sure. I do know it was the summer of 88 though.

EDIT: Looking at rosters from that era, I’m thinking it was either Duane Causwell or Darrin Pearsall. Causwell was about 7’ tall, so I’m thinking it was him. But that doesn’t match the graduation year I thought. But heck, that was so long ago, maybe I have it wrong.