Hoops comments on other PSU boards

There is no doubt that the other PSU boards have been, are now and most likely will continue to be oriented toward football. That’s fine - football put PSU on the map and pays the bills. There does seem to be a surprising lack of knowledge of the strides the mens BB program has made under Ed and how difficult it has been.

Two recent comments reflect the above:

1. About a week ago, someone posted something to the effect that he hated this time of the year because there was nothing going on until the bowl game and then nothing until Spring football practice. My reaction to that was along the lines of “are you kidding?” We’ve got a pretty exciting mens BB team which won the NIT last year, upset MSU at MSU; finally won at Indiana; etc, etc. We’ve got one of the top players in the Big Ten and someone who will probably be on some AA teams this year. We recruited one of the top players in Texas (I don’t know that we’ve ever done that in football) and we finally have the depth to play the kind of uptempo game that Ed wants to play.

2. Several days ago, someone posted something to the effect that “Ed can recruit guards, but he can’t recruit big men.” (As if its as simple as "go out and recruit some big men and report back to us by 5:00 PM today). My reaction to that was to paraphrase something I heard about the NBA several years ago (The NBA is a league of 60 guards, 60 forwards and about six centers - a reference to the fact that good big men/centers were few and far between). The NCAA D-1 analog would be something like "Div. 1 NCAA hoops has 500 guards, 500 forwards, and about 25 centers. The 25 centers can go just about anywhere they want to. Anyone who follows hoops knows that the blue chippers won’t come here until we win consistently and we put some guys into the NBA. Sooner or later, Ed will get a late bloomer or a blue chipper who wants to play with our outstanding guards or someone who just likes the setup at PSU and we’ll be where we need to be.

There’s lots of good, sophisticated, knowledgeable football discussion on the other boards. Basketball - not so sophisticated and knowledgeable. Many of the posts are just so lacking in understanding of hoops that you don’t know where to start in replying to them. Lar has displayed the patience of a saint in his responses. I’m sure the situation will improve, but it will be a long haul.

The other approach would be to just “ignore.”

If you ask people on the PSU boards about Villanova hoops, you will get much more informed answers than you will about Penn State. It’s something that is only going to change if Penn State is able to consistently win.

I’ve taken the “tundra” approach for the most part after years of wasting my breath.

It further underlines the beauty and the importance of the PennStateHoops.com board. There are many bigger/better hoops schools who don’t have what we have. Thanks Tim.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:4, topic:393”]I’ve taken the “tundra” approach for the most part after years of wasting my breath.

It further underlines the beauty and the importance of the PennStateHoops.com board. There are many bigger/better hoops schools who don’t have what we have. Thanks Tim.[/quote]

Agree with this 100 percent.

The end for me came last year when I was reading on one of the other boards about how bad Danny Morrissey was…how he couldn’t defend, couldn’t handle the ball and now couldn’t even shoot. I posted a pretty reasonable reply about how there was no question that he had limitations, but his court sense was a big plus…and also that he would shoot himself out of a midseason slump. Plus, I also posted that while he wasn’t the spawn of Gary Payton and Ron Artest, he was a pretty underrated defensive player who understood team defensive concepts and was less of a liability than a couple of freshmen (Cam and Babb) who people were calling for to take all of his minutes. Well, within five minutes, multiple people had jumped all over my post and told me that Morrissey sucked, I was an idiot and knew nothing about basketball. I decided then it wasn’t worth me even trying to be reasonable with people who had these preconceived notions that ED needed fired, white guys sucks and Penn State will never be a decent team unless it scours Philadelphia for 6-11 post players who can rebound like Rodman, but step out and shoot like Dirk.

And the Villanova stuff, mostly on BWI, is also nauseating. Even worse though was back in 2001 when I was a freshman, hearing guys in my class from the western side of the state actually use “We” when talking about Pitt climbing up the rankings. Winning cures all…I just hope those who eventually join the bandwagon stay away from this haven.

Statements like this make me want to kick puppies. Figuratively speaking, of course. I love puppies. Kittens, too.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:393”]There is no doubt that the other PSU boards have been, are now and most likely will continue to be oriented toward football. That’s fine - football put PSU on the map and pays the bills. There does seem to be a surprising lack of knowledge of the strides the mens BB program has made under Ed and how difficult it has been.

Two recent comments reflect the above:

1. About a week ago, someone posted something to the effect that he hated this time of the year because there was nothing going on until the bowl game and then nothing until Spring football practice. My reaction to that was along the lines of “are you kidding?” We’ve got a pretty exciting mens BB team which won the NIT last year, upset MSU at MSU; finally won at Indiana; etc, etc. We’ve got one of the top players in the Big Ten and someone who will probably be on some AA teams this year. We recruited one of the top players in Texas (I don’t know that we’ve ever done that in football) and we finally have the depth to play the kind of uptempo game that Ed wants to play.

2. Several days ago, someone posted something to the effect that “Ed can recruit guards, but he can’t recruit big men.” (As if its as simple as "go out and recruit some big men and report back to us by 5:00 PM today). My reaction to that was to paraphrase something I heard about the NBA several years ago (The NBA is a league of 60 guards, 60 forwards and about six centers - a reference to the fact that good big men/centers were few and far between). The NCAA D-1 analog would be something like "Div. 1 NCAA hoops has 500 guards, 500 forwards, and about 25 centers. The 25 centers can go just about anywhere they want to. Anyone who follows hoops knows that the blue chippers won’t come here until we win consistently and we put some guys into the NBA. Sooner or later, Ed will get a late bloomer or a blue chipper who wants to play with our outstanding guards or someone who just likes the setup at PSU and we’ll be where we need to be.

There’s lots of good, sophisticated, knowledgeable football discussion on the other boards. Basketball - not so sophisticated and knowledgeable. Many of the posts are just so lacking in understanding of hoops that you don’t know where to start in replying to them. Lar has displayed the patience of a saint in his responses. I’m sure the situation will improve, but it will be a long haul.[/quote]

That’s why I rarely post on the other boards. I get a kick out of when Lar takes someone to task on those board, it’s very entertaining.

BSD isn’t bad for basketball but a lot of the people who post there are from here anyways.