PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Home Court Advantage.... or how i found another conspiracy theory to talk about

This is a good time to bring this up, considering we’re playing one of the best home teams in the country. I heard Gottlieb and Brennan’s podcast from the other day mention something about the ball that is used in the Kohl Center, which I don’t remember ever hearing somebody mention… sure enough, a quick google search brings up an article from last year about it.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/04/is-home-court-advantage-really-about-the-ball/

Article basically says that Wisconsin is the only team in the country that uses the Sterling ball, and it’s not clear whether or not they give their opponents this same ball to warm-up with during pre-game.

On top of that, I’m lifting this from the Illini scout board because it saves me some time, but here are the home-court advantages in the big10 this year… makes you worry a little bit more about that NW game :-\

Massey calculates home court advantage on his page: [url=http://www.masseyratings.com/r...11&sub=NCAA]http://www.masseyratings.com/r...11&sub=NCAA[/url] I&mid=1

Wisconsin’s home court advantage this year is 5.53 points (#21 in Div I). It would surely be higher if Wisconsin hadn’t crushed Northwestern on the road.

Here are the home court advantages from Big Ten teams:

Northwestern: 5.57 (#20)
Wisconsin: 5.53 (#21)
Indiana: 5.50 (#23)
Illinois: 5.40 (#26)
Michigan State: 5.12 (#42)
Iowa: 5.00 (#50)
Purdue: 4.95 (#54)
Michigan: 4.64 (#91)
Penn State: 4.55 (#98)
Ohio State: 4.40 (#115)
Minnesota: 3.64 (#206)

Average advantage in Division I: 3.92
Average advantage in the Big Ten: 4.94

Highest in Div I: Northern Colorado at 7.13
Lowest in Div I: Rider at 1.16

Pac-10 has the biggest average at 5.33. This could be more about how they schedule games in pairs with short turnarounds than anything about the arena, crowds, refs, etc.
Big 12 is close behind at 5.28.
Big East, ACC and SEC are all considerably lower.

Thoughts?

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:1, topic:1972”]This is a good time to bring this up, considering we’re playing one of the best home teams in the country. I heard Gottlieb and Brennan’s podcast from the other day mention something about the ball that is used in the Kohl Center, which I don’t remember ever hearing somebody mention… sure enough, a quick google search brings up an article from last year about it.
Thoughts? [/quote]

Buy some Sterling basketballs. Problem solved.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:1, topic:1972"]This is a good time to bring this up, considering we're playing one of the best home teams in the country. I heard Gottlieb and Brennan's podcast from the other day mention something about the ball that is used in the Kohl Center, which I don't remember ever hearing somebody mention... sure enough, a quick google search brings up an article from last year about it. Thoughts?[/quote]

Still not the same. When you you play with different balls at every other venue in the country, and so probably 51.5 weeks out of the year… you are not going to have the same comfortability with this other ball, on these other rims in this other building. It’s just one more thing, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence they are so tough at home when you add that all up.

From what I’m reading about this ball not too many players like it - and it may not even be the same size and weight of the other balls that are accepted by the NCAA.

They have no choice but to deal with it, but pay close attention to how our guys handle the ball early in this one.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:3, topic:1972”]Still not the same. When you you play with different balls at every other venue in the country, and so probably 51.5 weeks out of the year… you are not going to have the same comfortability with this other ball, on these other rims in this other building. It’s just one more thing, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence they are so tough at home when you add that all up.

From what I’m reading about this ball not too many players like it - and it may not even be the same size and weight of the other balls that are accepted by the NCAA.

They have no choice but to deal with it, but pay close attention to how our guys handle the ball early in this one. [/quote]

Unless Wisconsin is breaking any rules, tough crap. Do you hear Wisky crying because they have to use a different ball for their road games?

Stanley Pringle didn’t seem to have a problem with their ball two years ago.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:3, topic:1972"]Still not the same. When you you play with different balls at every other venue in the country, and so probably 51.5 weeks out of the year.. you are not going to have the same comfortability with this other ball, on these other rims in this other building. It's just one more thing, and I don't think it's a coincidence they are so tough at home when you add that all up.

They have no choice but to deal with it, but pay close attention to how our guys handle the ball early in this one.[/quote]

Unless Wisconsin is breaking any rules, tough crap. Do you hear Wisky crying because they have to use a different ball for their road games?

Well, no. But like 8 teams in the league use the same ball so they don’t have to use a different ball at every venue, and the ones they do use get used at other places besides just one individual venue. There’s some level of comfort there, as a result.

There is nobody in the country besides Wisconsin using the ball that they do, it’s a completely unique experience for any visitors.

Tough crap indeed, but that doesn’t make the effect any less real.

[quote=“eric17, post:5, topic:1972”]Stanley Pringle didn’t seem to have a problem with their ball two years ago.[/quote]He didn’t seem to have a problem with his own either…Sorry couldn’t help myself :smiley:

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:6, topic:1972”]There is nobody in the country besides Wisconsin using the ball that they do, it’s a completely unique experience for any visitors.

Tough crap indeed, but that doesn’t make the effect any less real.[/quote]

so is traveling to State College in the winter, and I’m still waiting for that home advantage to pay off

[quote="Craftsy21, post:6, topic:1972"]There is nobody in the country besides Wisconsin using the ball that they do, [b]it's a completely unique experience for any visitors. [/b]

Tough crap indeed, but that doesn’t make the effect any less real.[/quote]

so is traveling to State College in the winter, and I’m still waiting for that home advantage to pay off

How do you figure this to be so unique? Not sure I understand…

If I take my pocket knife to a Sterling ball and start carving it up, will it be any easier to “score the basketball” that I keep hearing is so important? Thanks in advance. If so, sign me up for a Sterling.

:smiley:

Maybe the grip and channels are a little different. Big deal! The fact that this thread even exists confirms Manatree’s “grow a set” thread. Jeez…

[quote="Craftsy21, post:1, topic:1972"]This is a good time to bring this up, considering we're playing one of the best home teams in the country. I heard Gottlieb and Brennan's podcast from the other day mention something about the ball that is used in the Kohl Center, which I don't remember ever hearing somebody mention... sure enough, a quick google search brings up an article from last year about it. Thoughts?[/quote]

Still not the same. When you you play with different balls at every other venue in the country, and so probably 51.5 weeks out of the year… you are not going to have the same comfortability with this other ball, on these other rims in this other building. It’s just one more thing, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence they are so tough at home when you add that all up.

They have no choice but to deal with it, but pay close attention to how our guys handle the ball early in this one.

I am NOT familar with the "Sterling Basketball."
BUT, I would think the BigT10en101010 would enforce a stanard basketball policy! Everybody who has every played hoops knows there is a difference between brands of basketballs… and it does effect play!
But, this falls into the “fool me once” category! I would think PSU would practice the days before the game with Sterling basketballs AND warm up with the Sterling ball on game day (even if we have to bring our own!.)

If it’s a quality basketball any effect on play is minimal.

BUT, I would think the BigT10en101010 would enforce a stanard basketball policy! Everybody who has every played hoops knows there is a difference between brands of basketballs… and it does effect play!
But, this falls into the “fool me once” category! I would think PSU would practice the days before the game with Sterling basketballs AND warm up with the Sterling ball on game day (even if we have to bring our own!.)

I guess that would not fall under the DBO’s job requirements either. :wink:

I guess that would not fall under the DBO’s job requirements either. :wink:

Maybe we used to work for the same company…The “big money cheeses” were never at fault or ever had any reasonability!!! :wink:
I guess solid waste does indeed roll downhill.

Maybe the grip and channels are a little different. Big deal! The fact that this thread even exists confirms Manatree’s “grow a set” thread. Jeez…[/quote]

You’re right, it’s clearly not worth mentioning the fact that one of the strongest home courts of all 340 division one teams just so happens to be the only one using this particular ball. ::slight_smile: Nothing worth talking about there…

Right. I’m sure they’d lose A LOT more home games if they used a TF-1000.

Or maybe if WE started using this magical ball nobody else uses, we’d start winning all of our home games AND we’d at least have a fair chance to win in Madison.

What’s really amazing is that Wisconsin can win on the road at all. How can they possibly overcome the challenge of using a ball other than the Sterling?

:wink:

The ball’s effect is minimal if it’s a quality ball and it meets the standard requirements. Period.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:17, topic:1972”]Right. I’m sure they’d lose A LOT more home games if they used a TF-1000.

Or maybe if WE started using this magical ball nobody else uses, we’d start winning all of our home games AND we’d at least have a fair chance to win in Madison.

What’s really amazing is that Wisconsin can win on the road at all. How can they possibly overcome the challenge of using a ball other than the Sterling?

:wink:

The ball’s effect is minimal if it’s a quality ball and it meets the standard requirements. Period.[/quote]

Well then smarty pants, explain to me why they are so much better at home? All teams are better at home, I’ll grant you this (and i think it should be looked into more by the NCAA, for the record)… but they are WAAAY better at home, a different team even. And not just this year… every year.

Count how many times Talor mishandles that ball last night. I saw a bunch, I’d guess it was at least 10. I don’t think he’d ever make excuses about it, but it was clear he had problems with it.

And last thing… if the ball is “quality”, why are they the only ones using it? There’s only like 7 balls to choose from that meet the standard, yet they are the only team of 345 that chooses this ball. Any explanation for this?

because Bo likes crappy balls

[quote="Craftsy21, post:18, topic:1972"]And last thing...[b] if the ball is "quality", why are they the only ones using it? [/b] There's only like 7 balls to choose from that meet the standard, yet they are the only team of 345 that chooses this ball. Any explanation for this?[/quote]

because Bo likes crappy balls

We’ve solved the mystery. Wisky dominates at home because they like to use crappy balls.