Here is a "What If" Game

that has to be more fun than the always dull “what if we got rid of ED” game.

What if the Big Ten expands to 16 teams (or whichever number you prefer)? How do you align the conference and its schedule for men’s basketball?

What about four 4-team divisions, play each division opponent twice, and the other 12 teams once each?

Or do you not like divisions at all and just play a 15 game conference schedule?

What other ideas do you have?

[quote=“mjg, post:1, topic:1142”]that has to be more fun than the always dull “what if we got rid of ED” game.

What if the Big Ten expands to 16 teams (or whichever number you prefer)? How do you align the conference and its schedule for men’s basketball?

What about four 4-team divisions, play each division opponent twice, and the other 12 teams once each?

Or do you not like divisions at all and just play a 15 game conference schedule?

What other ideas do you have? [/quote]

I like this for basketball. For football more than 12 makes a huge scheduling mess.

I say we expand by 36 teams.

Not only does the BIG TEN add Rutgers, Missou, Pitt, Nebraska, and Maryland, but we also absorb the MAC and PSAC.

This way, we are able to set up a European soccer-type league, where we have 3 tiers of competition. Winners and losers of each tier can advance and descend each season.

With this system, I will only need to travel as far as Shippensburg or Millersville to watch either a Penn State Basketball conference game, or a Pitt football game. :wink:

[quote=“mjg, post:1, topic:1142”]that has to be more fun than the always dull “what if we got rid of ED” game.

What other ideas do you have? [/quote]
Very interesting “what if.” It’s possible the Big Ten11 could get at least 2 eastern teams. If nothing else it would be worth it to put an end to some “excuses.” We all should e-Mail and BEG Delaney.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:3, topic:1142”]I say we expand by 36 teams.

Not only does the BIG TEN add Rutgers, Missou, Pitt, Nebraska, and Maryland, but we also absorb the MAC and PSAC.

This way, we are able to set up a European soccer-type league, where we have 3 tiers of competition. Winners and losers of each tier can advance and descend each season.

With this system, I will only need to travel as far as Shippensburg or Millersville to watch either a Penn State Basketball conference game, or a Pitt football game. ;)[/quote]

Well this thread took all of three posts to turn sarcastic. ???

OK, No sarcasm…

Adding at least 2 eastern schools would greatly “change the landscape” in the BigTen11. I can’t see where it would not be a positive for PSU. The eastern teams may redevelop as “rivals” to PSU in football and hopefully hoops. Both teams could use a couple of “rivals.”

In summary, I think it would be a VERY good move for PSU if the BigTen11 moved Eastward! As the BigTen11 TV network expands… recruiting should be aided.

I haven’t read much at all into the whole expansion crap. I’m just waiting for it to be done and then analyze it. But from what I’m seeing, I would probably go with 12 teams and split them into 6 and 6, or 14 teams, or whatever… just split them into East and Midwest and have a championship game like the SEC - this is for football.

As for basketball, there is no need to have 2 divisions… so everything would be pretty similar.

As for which teams? I have no idea which teams are more likely since I don’t read into this… the likely names are: Notre Dame, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Missouri, Iowa State… right?

[quote=“noobd, post:7, topic:1142”]I haven’t read much at all into the whole expansion crap. I’m just waiting for it to be done and then analyze it. But from what I’m seeing, I would probably go with 12 teams and split them into 6 and 6, or 14 teams, or whatever… just split them into East and Midwest and have a championship game like the SEC - this is for football.

As for basketball, there is no need to have 2 divisions… so everything would be pretty similar.

As for which teams? I have no idea which teams are more likely since I don’t read into this… the likely names are: Notre Dame, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Missouri, Iowa State… right?[/quote]

If you keep basketball the same, how do you schedule? 15 games? 18 with only three schools twice?

[quote=“noobd, post:7, topic:1142”]I haven’t read much at all into the whole expansion crap. I’m just waiting for it to be done and then analyze it. But from what I’m seeing, I would probably go with 12 teams and split them into 6 and 6, or 14 teams, or whatever… just split them into East and Midwest and have a championship game like the SEC - this is for football.

As for which teams? I have no idea which teams are more likely since I don’t read into this… the likely names are: Notre Dame, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Missouri, Iowa State… right? [/quote]

Lot of talk about Nebraska. Connecticut has been mentioned also .

18 games, with 12 or 14 teams in in the conference = 11 or 13 other teams to play. So that means playing the same team twice 7 or 5 times (depending on conference size).

This is compared to currently: 18 games, 11 teams in conference = 10 other teams to play. So that means playing the same team twice 8 times (only 2 teams you dont play twice, ie: Iowa and Indiana this season).

Hope I did my math right… :stuck_out_tongue: